• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Overpowered aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The old Convair 880's and 990's were rockets from what I've heard from old airline pilots. Handled like sports cars too

Hiya all,

Half full DC-9-10. It will max out the autopilot...

What a ride...no school like the old school...

Nu

Any RC plane. ;)

All these stories of "overpowered aircraft" with fantastic climb rates with low takeoff weights is nice, but what I would like to know is which Commercial Airliner has the highest thrust to weight ratio at MGTOW (Structural).

On a side note, the 74 Classic (GE powered) when light is pretty impressive. When you consider how much of a useful load range you have you might get an understanding how much excess thrust that is at light weights. When light at a max pitch angle of 17.5 degrees it will accelerate straight through normal departure profiles. That's with max reduced thrust for takeoff; I could not even venture a guess of what it would be like at max rated thrust!

EagleRJ said:
CRJ-700. Repositioning flight with 6000 pounds fuel. On takeoff, accidently select APR thrust on both engines.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: HOLD ON!!!

Accidently....Right.....:)

FRJ
12,100#T/ 34524#W (heavy a/c gross, if memory serves me)=.35 ratio

Not to shabby, but throw on a straight, high aspect ratio wing and hold on.

I once saw 780 feet to FL310 (ceiling) in 17 minutes in a nearly full airplane flying the standard profile. I miss that airplane.

Imho :)

FearlessFreep said:
On a side note, the 74 Classic (GE powered) when light is pretty impressive.

I prefer the Pratt & Whitneys Qs. . . specifically, the JT9D-7Q :) And the lighter, the better. Can you say "Git up n go!"

Once upon a time, I was in Lear 35 that did 300 feet to FL 410 in around 11 minutes . . . cannot remember our takeoff weight, but a hop and skip we were airborne.

'Props :D

What about those DC-8s with the big fans that UPS operates?

Anyone got the numbers on those?

I know it's not a commercial airliner but the GIISP with a max take off weight of 62,000#s and 22,800#s thrust. Not to mention it will blow out all the windows within about six blocks with those low bypass RR's.

The Lancair Propjet/Sentry will do 7,000 fpm "solo".

750 hp, 2200 lbs empty.

Not exactly in the airliner/corporate jet category, but it's still pretty sweet.

Latest resources

Back