• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Overall state of the Corporate aviation industry

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can only think of maybe 1-2 regional 121 carriers still hiring, maybe virgin america as well. Besides that the 121 world has stopped hiring completely. Considering starting regional FO pay is around the $20k/yr range, I would take a $35k citation job instead.

Most regionals are starting out in the 30K range plus about 5K per year perdiem...averaging about 12-15 days off per month.

Most regionals are starting out in the 30K range plus about 5K per year perdiem...averaging about 12-15 days off per month.

No...they aren't.

Most RJ regionals start at $20-24/hr the first year, with 11-12 days off minimum per month. You can make more money if you 1. don't sit reserve long if at all, 2. have good work rules, and 3. value money more than quality of life and pick up lots of opentime. These days, reserve at most places is running 4 or more months...and if you do get a line its normally a crappy, low-credit one.

My first year at AWAC, which currently pays the highest for 50 seat FOs, I earned $25k including per-diem. In my first 12 months I was in training for 2.5 months, sat reserve for 1.5 months, had a relief line one month and had a hard line for 7 months.

A Regional FO job would equate to a crappy job in a Citation/small Lear/Beechjet.

A Regional CA would equate to a decent Hawker/big Lear PIC--but just barely.

All IMO. TC

A Regional FO job would equate to a crappy job in a Citation/small Lear/Beechjet.

All IMO. TC

"Big Lear" ? That's a contradiction in terms.

:)

I don't think they equate. Few things in life are more uncomfortable than wedging yourself into a Beechjet or Lear, regardless of the paycheck.

"Big Lear" ? That's a contradiction in terms.

:)

I don't think they equate. Few things in life are more uncomfortable than wedging yourself into a Beechjet or Lear, regardless of the paycheck.

If you take out the commuting factor, the lear or beachjet trumps RJ CA. My opinion. Of course I've never sat in a lear. Just an RJ driver for too dang long.

Corporate aviation is doing quite well. From AINonline:

Bizjet Manufacturers Continue To Rack Up Sales

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Defying the sluggish U.S. economy, three business jet manufacturers on Friday separately announced fleet orders worth as much as a combined $3.5 billion. Fractional provider NetJets was the biggest shopper on the block that day, placing a firm order for $1.9 billion worth of Gulfstream G450s and G550s that will “significantly expand” its large-cabin fleet. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Under the agreement, NetJets will take delivery of 20 G450s and 20 G550s between 2012 and the end of 2016 at a rate of four of each model per year. This deal also includes a long-term maintenance support agreement. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Not to be outdone, Bombardier Aerospace said it received a “significant business jet sale” for 110 Learjet 60XRs worth up to $1.5 billion from an undisclosed European customer. The deal includes a firm order for 25 twinjets worth approximately $340 million, while orders for the remaining 85 are conditional. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Deliveries of these Learjet 60XRs are scheduled to begin next year. Meanwhile, Cessna announced a more modest $87 million order from Canadian aircraft charter and management firm Execaire. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The order consists of four Citation Mustangs, three Sovereigns and two XLS+s. [/FONT]

If you take out the commuting factor, the lear or beachjet trumps RJ CA. My opinion. Of course I've never sat in a lear. Just an RJ driver for too dang long.

The grass ain't always greener man.

Corporate may have a better schedule or better pay, but RJs really are underrated in just about every area that matters, size/comfort being only one of several. Three of the four ex-RJ drivers I know flying Falcons now have said the same thing: "I never thought I'd hear myself say this but I sure miss the RJ."

*shrug*

All IMO. TC

Only if your example is talking about a 135 Hawker/Lear driver. Part 91 can be pretty nice in the QOL department, even flying a scary little Lear.;)

Latest resources

Back