Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Out of flying for a bit, what to do when airlines start hiring again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi All,

I have been out of flying due to a illness for the past 4 years or so and haven't done any flying for the last year or so except for with the FAA in heavy jet simulators. I'm not sure how you would rate me in terms of time but I have around 2500 TT around 300 ME and an ATP-CFI-II MEI and a little previous 135 experience. When the airlines do start hiring again what do I need to do? Will just be current be good enough? Or do I have to go out and fly a bunch? As much as it might make my eyes bleed would one of those regional jet courses at ATP be worth it?

Any ideas?

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=123969&page=56

The other thread is simply a countdown until the "Age 65" rule really goes into effect.

Meaning, all the Age 60 guys who were about to retire when the rule was passed suddenly had 5 more years, which basically stopped the attrition by retirement.

The theory is that in 972, er, 971 days, these cats will hit Age 65, and the attrition will continue as it has in previous years.

I believe this is the "major hiring boom" I've been hearing about for the last 15 years.

Hang in there. If you want your wings back you'll figure out how to get them.

hiring boom coming in 2012, it is already starting to ramp up, apply everywhere, take the first job you get, even if it towing banners at your local airport. Then start looking for your next job, do not make QOL of life an issue in a job offer until you have 1000 hours of TJ PIC. Good luck, there are more bad lawyers than bad pilots, because the darwin effect keeps the bad pilot ranks low.

I remember when I crossed 1000 Turbine PIC back in 2004 and my phone started ringing off the hook! Actually, that's not what happened. All I got to do was check a box (and yes I have a 4 year degree).

The first wave is not gonna cause a hiring boom. Why would the majors grow when they can feed at a lower cost? Do not base your future on age 65 guys hitting the street. And to the corporate guys, watch out, they will most likely take corporate jobs cause they "love" flying so much.

Rally- post your stats so we can give you better advice.

Cheers-

What to do when airlines start hiring again? Are you serious!?

Run away?

And to the corporate guys, watch out, they will most likely take corporate jobs cause they "love" flying so much.

They do! They love it so much they'll do it for less than half of industry average...and since they already have benefits through their retirement package, they don't need those either.

I knew those guys while I was teaching at the local airport and they actually used to hold up their job (on call ALL the time, managing the airplane/hangar, 'other duties' out the wazoo, etc) and say, 'just keep plugging away and one day you'll be able to land a gig like this'.

Um, WTF?

Given the current climate I don't know how you could be overqualified.

Agreed about overqualified. While my airline appears to be leery of hiring furloughed pilots who have a good chance of recall in the next year or two, they do look for the best qualified applicants in terms of experience, maturity and flight qualifications.

Regarding the topic question, there previous comments about airline retirements are good ones. Another factor is the economy. Once it picks up those pilots now who are dissatisfied with their airline career will have more opportunities to pursue business positions outside of the airline industry. In this respect, I expect to see more regional airlines hiring either later this year or in the beginning of 2011.

Latest resources

Back