Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Out of flying for a bit, what to do when airlines start hiring again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In the 1990's, I was out of flying for several years. When I returned, the lack of currency was definitely a factor. I did get lucky though and was eventually hired, in no small part due to the fact that everybody was hiring heavily. IMO, your lack of currency will hinder you so anything you could do to change that would probably help your situation.

Some years back, I sat on a hiring board for a regional. All other things being equal, your times would probably be competitive assuming normal hiring conditions in the industry. Whether that ever happens again...

Trust me, I'm thinking about it.

Seriously, you should do it. Although from a friend in the field, I hear there are too many JD's right now, and that the field is saturated. But, I would seriously consider pursuing other educational options, whatever it may be. Don't go back to the 'pit.

Oh yeah just find some 135 to fill in the gap so you can get hired by an airline.

Great.

Thank god there are barely any 135 operators hiring. They certainly shouldn't hire some airline hopeful only to have him leave after he gets 50 hours.

Our indoc class is 40 hours long. It wont cost much to put him in the seat of a king air but it is still a huge waste for 135 operators to hire people like that.

Then what? Now your going to be sitting in the right seat of a king air. Any other position your looking at a huge cost for training.

Where in my post did I advise to get hired by a 135 operator, get the 3 bounces and bail? Chances are he (or she) will be there a while getting good experience while the industry shakes out.

I have been out of the 135 game for a while (thank God) but my experience is most are ********************e and not career companies. Maybe you are at a different operation. I certainly hope so and wish you the best.

Where in my post did I advise to get hired by a 135 operator, get the 3 bounces and bail?
You didn't, but even if you did, so what? Operators hire and furlough pilots like they were day workers. Loyalty isn't a one-way street.

An operator would require you to quit your job before working for them but could let you go at the end of the first day of class "due to unforeseen circumstances". They don't owe you anything and, unless you signed a training contract, you don't owe them anything except a fair day's work for your pay.

Right-on dawg. Most companies these days don't care dog-squeeze about employees. We're expendable. It's actually been that way for sometime now.

Latest resources

Back