Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Out of flying for a bit, what to do when airlines start hiring again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you hate aviation so much, leave the industry. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I don't hate 'aviation', I just recognize the fact that there are better places to make career investments.

Aviation is a poor career choice for most people.

I have too much invested to leave...but my advice to others is to not come this way.

I'll probably have more positive feelings after being recalled and seeing my airline running classes every week and moving up the ladder. Right now though, I'm pretty disgusted with the whole thing.

Ramp,
Pilotyip has good advice. Apply to all those places that are hiring. If you prefer to work for a regional airline, American Eagle, Air Wisconsin, Colgan Air, and Commutair are some options you may wat to consider. Do some networking if you can. Some people on this web site love to dissect this industry and there's no reason to. If flying is something you want to do for a living, despite its up and downs, then pursue your flying goals.

Have a nice day!

1500 hrs?

I don't hate 'aviation', I just recognize the fact that there are better places to make career investments.

Aviation is a poor career choice for most people.

I have too much invested to leave...but my advice to others is to not come this way.

I'll probably have more positive feelings after being recalled and seeing my airline running classes every week and moving up the ladder. Right now though, I'm pretty disgusted with the whole thing.
That an investment? It is just a start, when you have 10K, and you are unemployed at age 50, that is an investment. It is still a great way to make a living. I got out for five years. Came back because it beats working for a living.

Ramp,
Pilotyip has good advice. Apply to all those places that are hiring. If you prefer to work for a regional airline, American Eagle, Air Wisconsin, Colgan Air, and Commutair are some options you may wat to consider. Do some networking if you can. Some people on this web site love to dissect this industry and there's no reason to. If flying is something you want to do for a living, despite its up and downs, then pursue your flying goals.

Have a nice day!

I want to write this respecfully, so please no offense. Based on your profile you have no skin in the game. It all seems like a fun dream in your 20's but into your later 30's and 40's and you realize your mortality and retirement it can be a dreadful nightmare.

I hear all the stories about "flying is the dream". Try 45k gross before taxes and everything else, married with 2 kids and living in a crashpad.

I don't have kids but have lived that story in the past. It is no dream.

Best of luck in your training...

Great time

Nope have to disagree, this is a great time to get into flying. To be ready for the next big hiring push that has already started. Much like the posts from 2002 of "Run away from this business there is no future", it was followed by a hiring boom starting 2005. The same thing is going on today. Those who got jobs in 2005 were the one who were current and flying at the time, almost without exception they all kept there jobs in the 2009 layoff cycle. Those who elected to get into the game late when they saw the hiring going up, got hired in 2007/08, they most likely lost their jobs in the last down trend. Get in now in the start of the cycle.

Last edited:
Nope have to disagree, this is a great time to get into flying. To be ready for the next big hiring push that has already started. Much like the posts from 2002 of "Run away from this business there is no future", it was followed by a hiring boom starting 2005. The same thing is going on today. Those who got jobs in 2005 were the one who were current and flying at the time, almost without exception they all kept there jobs in the 2009 layoff cycle. Those who elected to get into the game late when they saw the hiring going up, got hired in 2007/08, they most likely lost their jobs in the last down trend. Get in now in the start of the cycle.

But the purpose is to warn people of this business you are just talking about the employment aspect of it. It's like saying in 2002 drug dealing was slow and grim, but in 2005 business went up again and those that got on got rich in 2009 while those that got in later were furloughed in 2009. The point of is this job has no future, pursue something else. Ask any major pilot out there 99% would tell you the same.

Rummr78,

No offense taken. If Ramp wants to consider flying for a regional airline, good luck. If, after reading these comments, Ramp decides not to pursue a regional airline pilot job, so be it.

Rally- What are you doing to put food on the table now? Give us some more background so we can figure out some options for you.

Back around 2004 I tried to get a former student on at ASA. He was flying the ditch in Las Vegas but gave that up to make more money driving a limo. The hiring lady (forget her name but she was a line captain) said not only that he had to be current but she wouldn't consider him unless that current time came from a 135, 121 type operation. I know ASA is not hiring with folks on the street and this is old information but you might consider a 135 operator to fill in the gap.

Gives us some more details so the FI brain-trust can help you!

Cheers- Rum

Good luck

Oh yeah just find some 135 to fill in the gap so you can get hired by an airline.

Great.

Thank god there are barely any 135 operators hiring. They certainly shouldn't hire some airline hopeful only to have him leave after he gets 50 hours.

Our indoc class is 40 hours long. It wont cost much to put him in the seat of a king air but it is still a huge waste for 135 operators to hire people like that.

Then what? Now your going to be sitting in the right seat of a king air. Any other position your looking at a huge cost for training.

The way I see it, you basically got two choices-

1) Whatever you did to get your first 121 job, do it again. Meaning, CFI, banner tow, etc etc. Look into ferrying aircraft- I understand there's a lot of it to be done from Hawaii to the mainland. Never did it myself, but I know a few guys who did and it seemed like a fun (if not a bit scary) way to stay current.

2) Network, network, network. Then network some more. I know a guy who's been out of the cockpit for about 4 years, save for a little bit of CFI'ing. Networked his way into the right seat of a widebody. Zero 121/135 time in years, and maybe 50 hours in a Cessna.

Call up everyone you ever flew with; you never know where they are now, and if they might be in a position to help you. And I mean everyone. Old CFI buddies you worked with years ago; they might be captains at the regional you're trying to get on. Old crashpadders you roomed with; they might be working at an airline you've been looking at. Captains and First Officers from your last airline... the list goes on. You never know where they are and what position they might be in to help you out.

Either way, if you really want back in, you'll figure out how to get there.

Latest resources

Back