Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Out of flying for a bit, what to do when airlines start hiring again?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rally

Hi All,

I have been out of flying due to a illness for the past 4 years or so and haven't done any flying for the last year or so except for with the FAA in heavy jet simulators. I'm not sure how you would rate me in terms of time but I have around 2500 TT around 300 ME and an ATP-CFI-II MEI and a little previous 135 experience. When the airlines do start hiring again what do I need to do? Will just be current be good enough? Or do I have to go out and fly a bunch? As much as it might make my eyes bleed would one of those regional jet courses at ATP be worth it?

Any ideas?

Trust me, I'm thinking about it.

Hi All,

I have been out of flying due to a illness for the past 4 years or so and haven't done any flying for the last year or so except for with the FAA in heavy jet simulators. I'm not sure how you would rate me in terms of time but I have around 2500 TT around 300 ME and an ATP-CFI-II MEI and a little previous 135 experience. When the airlines do start hiring again what do I need to do? Will just be current be good enough? Or do I have to go out and fly a bunch? As much as it might make my eyes bleed would one of those regional jet courses at ATP be worth it?

Any ideas?

I dont know if this is a serious question but if I was you, I would hold off on getting current untill there is hiring and the industry has improved. You are definitely approaching the "over qualified" territory for regionals, you might have a chance with Compass but they want at least 500 to 1000 multi.

Yes it was a serious question. Yea I had the feeling of not really spending a bunch of money to get current until hiring started again when ever that may be. Didn't think I was overqualified though.

Given the current climate I don't know how you could be overqualified. However, as someone else said maybe you should check your other options outside this screwed up industry.

I don't think anybody likes there "industry". Last time I went in to see my ENT all he did was complain about how the medical profession sucked. But I catch your drift.

Go to Law School.

Just as long as you understand that the law profession is like the piloting profession. There are a few that make a lot of money and a bunch that are either middle income or just making it by.

If you want to change careers, have income potential, job security, and a pretty good schedule, go to nursing school. If you want to go in the law profession, prepare yourself for the fact that you might me advertising your $99 divorce special on a bus stop bench.

Hi All,

Any ideas?

Eagle is hiring now, and Pinnacle will likely start up this year. ASA won't be hiring any time soon, assuming that there aren't major changes with United.

I know for us (ASA), you would be expected to be current with at least 50 hours in the last 6 months. I also highly doubt you would get an interview without being employed in an aviation job in the recent past. Renting an airplane for 50 hours probably wouldn't cut it.

Of course, that is all assuming that we are hiring from the current pool of applicants, a lot of whom are furloughed or otherwise very experienced. Give it 2 years or so and you'll be able to get a job at most any regional with your current stats plus a little currency. The ball is going to be in the pilot's court once people start retiring.

Rally- What are you doing to put food on the table now? Give us some more background so we can figure out some options for you.

Back around 2004 I tried to get a former student on at ASA. He was flying the ditch in Las Vegas but gave that up to make more money driving a limo. The hiring lady (forget her name but she was a line captain) said not only that he had to be current but she wouldn't consider him unless that current time came from a 135, 121 type operation. I know ASA is not hiring with folks on the street and this is old information but you might consider a 135 operator to fill in the gap.

Gives us some more details so the FI brain-trust can help you!

Cheers- Rum

Good luck

Latest resources

Back