• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiskey Driver

Return of the Hub Raider
The other thread got too long and I wanted to make sure that everyone saw this. I am embarrased for many of the posters on this forum and some of their very transparent views. The purpose of that thread was a fellow pilot reaching out to others during Black History month to speak with some children.

I see now that many of you though you will share the cockpit with us and even occasianally shake our hands you still harbor that deep resentment that we are even there! I guess it's much easier to be a raciest when you can do it behind a keyboard and an annonmous handle.

This isn't about Black or White it's about the children and who they can identify with!! I speak to innercity youth a couple times a year and can tell you that when they see me and some of my friends who have made it out of the ghettos and who have become successful in this profession, its that they identify with!!

Black History month?? Out of twelve months a yr the people feel compelled to block off feburary, the shortest month of the year mind you to honor many of those trail blazing black americans that suffered so that people like me can be where I am today.

So many of you might want to think about who you are and what you represent before you start calling OBAP a raciest organization! Do some research first.

WD

Last edited:
The other thread got too long and I wanted to make sure that everyone saw this. I am embarrased for many of the posters on this forum and some of their very transparent views. The purpose of that thread was a fellow pilot reaching out to others during Black History month to speak with some children.

I see now that many of you though you will share the cockpit with us and even occasianally shake our hands you still harbor that deep resentment that we are even there! I guess it's much easier to be a raciest when you can do it behind a keyboard and an annonmous handle.

This isn't about Black or White it's about the children and who they can identify with!! I speak to innercity youth a couple times a year and can tell you that when they see me and some of my friends who have made it out of the ghettos and who have become successful in this profession, its that they identify with!!

Black History month?? Out of twelve months a yr the people feel compelled to block off feburary, the shortest month of the year mind you to honor many of those trail blazing black americans that suffered so that people like me can be where I am today.

So many of you might want to think about who you are and what you represent before you start calling OBAP a raciest organization! Do some research first.

WD

what ignorant pig said it was a racist org???????

Wiskey driver feels his opinion is so much more important than everyone else's that he feels the need to start his own thread.

I say we boycott the thread.

Last edited:
Wiskey driver feels his opinion is so much more important than everyone else's that he feels the need to start his own thread.

I say we boycott the thread.
I say Whiskey Driver is trying to inject some common sense into this discussion. I'd rather boycott the other thread.

OK, fine, Cut n Paste time then...

Several posters challenged my use of the word "discriminatory" to describe OBAP. Here is the definition:
ADJECTIVE:
  1. Marked by or showing prejudice; biased.
  2. Making distinctions.
Clearly OBAP does discriminate, inasmuch as their mission statement is specific to the promotion of Black pilots. Not any pilots, but specifically Black pilots. That is a distinction, setting a group of pilots apart from the general population of pilots. Here is OBAP's "Goal" from their web site:
Goals
The goals of OBAP are to motivate our youth to become educationally prepared for life, to increase minority participation in aviation through exposure, training, mentoring, and scholarships; to encourage networking among black pilots; to increase the number of black pilots hired by airlines; and to assist the black airline pilot with special needs and concerns.
Not all discriminations are bad. I belong to the "American Bonanza Society." If you own a Mooney, or Cirrus, you are welcome to join us. But you can expect us to tell you our airplanes are better, faster, bigger, etc... and you will only find coverage of Beechcraft in our magazine. We discriminate, but we do not exclude. This is kinda where I think OBAP is going with their discriminatory intent. It is a distinction with no harm being intended.

It seems many people get the word "discrimination" confused with the term "racist," which is defined as follows:
NOUN:
  1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
  2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Again, I have no real concern about OBAP's operations. I've met some proud members who were good folks and I am grateful for their efforts to promote aviation, especially to kids that can benefit from the exposure.

I'm probably the only person on this web board who has had the Klan burn a cross in their yard. It takes forever for the grass to grow back after idiots get gas all over your lawn. I've seen racism from both sides and it is dumb and ugly regardless of who practices it.

I just kinda think "Black" as a descriptor of a ethnicity is outdated and anachronistic. As often as not, a "Black" pilot is from the Islands, Africa, America - with ancestors from Africa, British, and from the Pacific Islands. I've flown with every sort of variation of ethnicity and nationality and none of my friends seemed to think of themselves as "Black."

It seems like kids can identify with anyone who is patient, friendly, interesting and charitable. Maybe I just grew up in too diverse a World and just can't imagine folks defining who they are by a flawed definition of their ancestral ethnicity.

Last edited:
And none of that is relevant to the original post where someone was just asking for an OBAP member to help out an inner-city teacher by talking to her kids about becoming a pilot.

And none of that is relevant to the original post where someone was just asking for an OBAP member to help out an inner-city teacher by talking to her kids about becoming a pilot.
Sure it is. The poster did not ask for an "OBAP" member as you write. He was specific in his discrimination as to what kind of pilot he wanted. He wrote:
One specific Demographic is being requested you Moron. Please reread my original post.
Which is exactly why my post is relevant and why many people took exception.

You really want to know about Maverick's crazy cult?
http://www.truveo.com/SNL-Top-Gun-727Will-Ferrell-Val-Kilmer/id/4289209639

Last edited:
Sure it is. The poster did not ask for an "OBAP" member as you write. He was specific in his discrimination as to what kind of pilot he wanted. He wrote:
Which is exactly why my post is relevant and why many people took exception.
Do you think it would be very effective to send a white guy who grew up in Ann Arbor to talk to a bunch of black kids in Detroit about being an air line pilot?
Probably seen it a hundred times, but it's still pretty dang funny. :)

Do you think it would be very effective to send a white guy who grew up in Ann Arbor to talk to a bunch of black kids in Detroit about being an air line pilot?
Yes, and if you make it about the kids, they participate and have a great time. Kids don't seem to get hung up on all the crap the adults do and getting comfortable relating to all kinds of people including those from Ann Arbor (all I know is automotive writer Patrick Bedard lives there and he's funny).

Wiskey Driver makes a good point that this apparently was a call for Black History Month presentation. It is a shame that the thread leaves him to believe that many folks are hidden racists. I think the truth is more that many people are frustrated at the shared goal of eliminating racism.

BTW - Obama 08 looks like it is happening :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back