O'reilly talking about AA flight w/10 hr wait

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I expected no less.
Should we sugar coat the facts for you? Defend this situation all you want, as this is not Monday morning quarterbacking. It’s a problem with the culture there concerning authority and who is wearing the pants. I remember how disgusted I was when I first jump seated on AA, as I am sure the rest of the industry was as to the lack of authority the captains had. It seemed as if the agents and flight attendants were running the show right up to pushback. No I am not a Napoleon complex kind of guy just one that feels as TWA did that the buck stopped with the Captain. That’s why TWA’s Captains program was 4 times longer than current AA upgrades as they didn’t want just lip service on this issue they wanted performance out in the field. During the upgrade they toasted us at a dinner held at a local country club and said, “Welcome to Management Gentlemen”. They also gave us membership to the Ambassador clubs or Admirals club I believe you call it. It is about respect and responsibility. It is no wonder that you guys don’t respect other pilots in your mergers, as you don’t have any respect for yourselves.
Just prior to being furloughed from AA and being replaced by your new hires I had just landed a 75 in TPA with heavy rain and an approaching thunderstorm. As we taxied in the rain increased to the point that the rampers would not come back out to lead us in. We sat there for close to an hour and listened to ramp and ground. I could not believe what I was hearing on the ramp freq as one of the MD80 captains (native) that was in holding for TPA was asking the rampers where he should divert. WOW! I am sure this topic could go on forever with what the rest of the industry has witnessed with your culture. I hope the few TWA and OZ guys that are still there can shed some light on leadership and responsibility and maybe influence your culture on a positive note.
Mach8

In my opinion, airline economics need to be regulated. What we have had since 1978 has been destructive competition. The laissez faire approach has not worked and has led to the decimation of jobs, wages, and benefits in a neurotic focus on costs in order to stay in business.

Utilities, and airlines all need to be regulated by our federal government.

Last edited:
In my opinion, airline economics need to be regulated. What we have had since 1978 has been destructive competition.

No, what we've had is competition with government interference. If an airline just can't die because it keeps getting bailed out and operating under bankruptcy protection for years at a time, then it isn't deregulated.

Either re-regulate it, or deregulate it entirely. (That means killing Essential Air Service, too.) You can't do it halfway.

Respectfully? What kinda message board do you think this is?? We're supposed to fling poo at each other! :nuts:

And sure you can bum one. I got a whole carton of Kool Menthols here in the cage; they go great with bananas... :laugh:

I could not believe what I was hearing on the ramp freq as one of the MD80 captains (native) that was in holding for TPA was asking the rampers where he should divert. WOW! Mach8

Mach8Forest,

Now that’s a first – pilots calling to the rampers and asking if they should divert. Yeah, like that happens all the time.

BTW, your posts are also making it over to C&R and even the former T-Way pilots are embarrassed by the garbage in your posts.

Why is the number of your posts stuck at 78?

AA767AV8TOR

Im not being a Monday morning quarterback. BUT if I was the captain I would have declared an emergency if nothing I did resloved the problem. When they asked me why, I would say that some of the passengers no longer looked physically and emotionally fit to be on an airplane any longer. Some of them looked like they were about to have a heart attack. Plus I am too tired to fly any longer. I would no longer be fit to fly due to fatigue making the the release that I just signed null and void. No Captain, no go. That would make me an incapacitated crew member. Then I would call my union and hope they have the balls to stand by me. Captains authority has really gone down the drains. No one quesitons a doctor when it comes to his clients, why question a captain when it comes to the people he is responsible for.

Yeah maybe I am a little rough on them. I need to ask my therapist why?
Mach8
Please punkboy73 no comments.

"Please?" Wow, you're actually being polite with me! Sorry, had to comment on that. There is hope!

I actually agree with you about that CA... if it were up to me, I would have pulled up to whatever gate, like what AAflyer said, and deplaned there. Most CAs here would have done the same thing... this dude is definitely an exception (all airlines have 'em.)

Despite your blatant hatred of me, Mach, my offer of hashing it out over a few beers on me still stands. See ya in da SLT soon, bro. 73

:beer:

Respectfully? What kinda message board do you think this is?? We're supposed to fling poo at each other! :nuts:

And sure you can bum one. I got a whole carton of Kool Menthols here in the cage; they go great with bananas... :laugh:

If you need help flinging poo I can help you!
Mach8

Latest resources

Back