One of the TLH guys is back.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Explanation

For those wondering, what VaB is referring to is the fact that the Flight Engineer from the FedEx 727 that landed short at TLH in 2002 finally got his job back. The crew was fired by FedEx after the incident and ALPA and their lawyers just won a long fought grievance to get his job back. No word on the Capt or FO as of yet.

Welcome back!

FJ

The Safety Board's full report is available at http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/publictn.htm. The Aircraft Accident Report number is NTSB/AAR-04/02.

On July 26, 2002, at 0537 eastern daylight time, a FedEx Boeing 727, N497FE, crashed during landing at Tallahassee, Florida. The airplane was operating as Flight 1478 from Memphis, Tennessee, to Tallahassee. The airplane crashed short of the runway, and was subsequently destroyed by fire. All three crewmembers were seriously injured. The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident as follows:

The captain's and first officer's failure to establish and maintain a proper glidepath during the night visual approach to landing. Contributing to the accident was a combination of the captain's and first officer's fatigue, the captain's and first officer's failure to adhere to company flight procedures, the captain's and flight engineer's failure to monitor the approach, and the first officer's color vision deficiency.

Geez...whenever I fly the SO monitors my approaches VERY closely.

"You're a dot low...bug minus 5, right of centerline...got you now 2 dots high...left of centerline...oh God are we okay?..Wow...."

then they all seem to go "sick" in the field...and get off the trip...

In all seriousness...this old fighter dude has gained a huge appreciation for the 3 man crew concept, especially when flying at night, into a field with bad weather , poor lighting, etc. Thrilled that this SO is back on the line, and I'll bet he'll be one heck of a captain when he gets his turn.

Falconjet said:
For those wondering, what VaB is referring to is the fact that the Flight Engineer from the FedEx 727 that landed short at TLH in 2002 finally got his job back. The crew was fired by FedEx after the incident and ALPA and their lawyers just won a long fought grievance to get his job back. No word on the Capt or FO as of yet.

Welcome back!

FJ

Thanks for the breakdown FJ. I just figured that A) FedEx guys would know what I was talking about and B) Noone else would give a shiite, so I didn't explain to much.

Three people in the cockpit, end of a long night. somebody decides to save 3-5 minutes and fly a visual approach to rwy9 instead of the ILS to 27. Nobody says " I think this is a bad Idea" they hit the trees short. Thankfully only boxes on board otherwise who knows. I'm not all fired up that these pilots are going to be flying again. I know they are your fellow employees, but that accident was 100% preventable.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back