Once respected job of being a pilot....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingToIST

Once respected, looked up profession of being a pilot.. I was ashamed the other day when a guy in my company passed a gas, very loud at the loby of the overnight hotel...and no we were not staying at Motel 6. I also heard another crew getting out of the airport at an outstation and say to his buddy over the phone "Let's meet at the bar, bring the bitches".. at a tone of voice that the entire terminal can hear.

I can call 10 other stupid things that these new gen X'ers do that makes me wonder , what this business has become..

Once respected, looked up profession of being a pilot.. I was ashamed the other day when a guy in my company passed a gas, very loud at the loby of the overnight hotel...and no we were not staying at Motel 6. I also heard another crew getting out of the airport at an outstation and say to his buddy over the phone "Let's meet at the bar, bring the bitches".. at a tone of voice that the entire terminal can hear.

I can call 10 other stupid things that these new gen X'ers do that makes me wonder , what this business has become..

go pay child support

Quit whining everyone has to fart sometime. Who cares about the respect its all about if your happy or not with your job

For $18k a year, what'd ya expect?

And then you go and cry like a baby on FlightInfo....... You must be totally grizzled!

Sounds like a decent enough group to me.

The problem is not specific to the industry; it is the upbringing of these people. I have seen both sides of the coin. I have worked in the highest professional environment and now here. Both environments contained parts of immaturity, which is normal. One thing is for sure; I have never in my life seen and heard so much racism in a single industry as I have in this one. It is sad.

I am certain that the lower wages, the loss of respect, provided for by rude gate agents, rude and poor people and the lack of concern fostered by the management in each airline, also drives the profound increase in cynicism and lack of etiquette in the work place. I cannot isolate such attitudes to only being the "generation X" group but also those that have come before us. A decline in the industry started a long time ago. The fact is we are now all bus drivers that accommodate numerous socio-economic classes, which has in turn eaten away at the spirit of professionalism and glamour of this career.
The high-cost ticket prices of yesterday helped to ensure that professional people flew on professional airplanes. Today with advent of the www.don'tpaycrap.com ticket sites, your average unprofessional, pajama wearing beer gut hanging slob can ride. The industry's only saving grace for us pilots is that door. I don't like to see all the people anymore because they just suck. They treat flight crews like crap, the airplanes like big garbage cans and the industry like it is still to expensive. Prime example: How many times would you find a used diaper in the seat-back pocket in the 1960s? My point exactly.

Cheers and sorry to bust your bubble.
P2J

Yeah I wonder who raised Generation X?
Oh yeah and the profession was real professional back in the day. When flight attendants ran up to the cockpit flashing boobs for a nice landing. Maybe it was the all pro old school captain that caused more accidents in the old days than any Gen X squad. "CRM is for babies I'm the comander of this ship"

Latest resources

Back