On the roll???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mach 80

Is there any more pathetic unprofessional response to ATC's "cleared for take-off" than "on the roll"?

I heard a flight mumble that response the other day that and the tower thought he was saying "Positon and hold" so the tower had to repeat "Cleared for Take-off". Finally the flight read back "cleared for take-off". This is too important a clearance to respond with anything other than "cleared for take-off". Anything else might create confusion.

Over the years I have observed pilot radio phraseology deteriorate.

Last edited:
Is there any more pathetic unprofessional response to ATC's "cleared for take-off" than "on the roll"?

I heard a flight mumble that response the other day that and the tower thought he was saying "Positon and hold" so the tower had to repeat "Cleared for Take-off". Finally the flight read back "cleared for take-off". This is too important a clearance to respond with anything other than "cleared for take-off". Anything else might create confusion.

Over the years I have observed pilot radio phraseology deteriorate.

Close to retirement? (we hope)

Glad regionals weren't named as particularly egregious offenders. I've been hearing "on the roll" by majors for yeeeeeeeeears.

Arrgghh... these kids today...

Dude.... seriously...relax.

"On the roll" is more succinct than "cleared for takeoff, we are beginning our takeoff roll now." That gives tower the warm fuzzy that you aren't delaying. It communicates this quickly so someone else can talk in a busy terminal environment. People usually respond with "on the roll" after tower says something to the effect of "such-and-such is at 3 miles" or "no delay."

The problem as you put it is more that it was mumbled than what was actually said.

Do you iron your tighty-whities? With starch?

j/k brotha.

Mach,
I am one of the least retentive people in this business but could not agree with you more. Any response that generates further comms in a critical time is unprofessional. So is starting every transmission with the word 'and'. My least favorite trend is people getting a freq switch, hitting the button and talking without waiting even a second to see if anyone else is in the middle of a clearance with ATC thus stepping on everyone and jamming things up. Good post, there is no reason this board can't be used to enhance knowledge.

Heard 3 AA guys in a row do the flip-and-transmit -immediately routine on Saturday. Should I post a message here critiquing the whole airline? :rolleyes:

The fact that the call back was mumbled is the only real issue here. As previously state "on the roll" tells ATC that an aircraft cleared for take off is going with no delay, Although the read back should have also stated "cleared for take-off". Have you not heard ATC say "Flight123 cleared for take off 35 NO DELAY"? How about "Flight123 can you take 35 on the roll"?

I must say that their has been a lot of mumbling over the radio. Speak clearly and professionally.

I guarantee ATC will always use the words "cleared for take-off" at some point even if asking if you can take it on the roll.

Most of this thread simply shows how accustomed people are to sloppy radio technique. It has simply deteriorated to the point where it is now accepted and unoticed. Too bad.

Even if sort of mumbled, "cleared for take-off" will come out much more explicit and unambiguous than a sloppy casual "on the roll". It is truly a bit sad where proper radio technique has gone. Apparently so far down that it is simply accepted and anyone who points it out is lambasted.

I read somewhere that after the Tenerife Disaster of 1977, you arent supposed to use the word "take off" on the radio unless youre receiving or accepting take off clearance...so none of the "holding short of 29 ready for takeoff" stuff either.

If you arent familiar, in 77 a KLM pilot used nonstandard radio terminology about takeoff, and combined with various factors, ended up with the highest number of fatalities in a single avaition accident.

My CFI with 12,000 hours said that really the word "takeoff" should be used only by the tower when giving takeoff clearance, and by nobody else. He said that when Im cleared to take off, I should just say something along the lines of "cleared to go" or "on the roll."

Whaddya guys think?

Latest resources

Back