On the roll???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mach,
I am one of the least retentive people in this business but could not agree with you more. Any response that generates further comms in a critical time is unprofessional. So is starting every transmission with the word 'and'. My least favorite trend is people getting a freq switch, hitting the button and talking without waiting even a second to see if anyone else is in the middle of a clearance with ATC thus stepping on everyone and jamming things up. Good post, there is no reason this board can't be used to enhance knowledge.

same here.

'cleared for takeoff 15 right, Continental ###'

that's how i say it. i'm consistent and i think it's safer than most other techniques.

specifics in radio communication will keep you out of trouble in so many ways. it's taken years for me to refine my personal radio discipline. and i continue to educate and polish my professionalism as the skies, and thus the frequencies, become more crowded each day.

http://www.faa.gov/runwaysafety/asw/downloads/ac91-73a.pdf
(7) Readback all takeoff and landing clearances, including the runway designator.

Last edited:
If ATC uses "cleared for takeoff," then "roger" is no worse than echoing "cleared for takeoff." Because an echo is the same as an acknowlegement. It tells ATC nothing about your intentions.

However, if they ask for a readback......

Look at his flight time......22,000 FREAKING hours!! He's just happy he heard something.......let alone responded to anything with all the drool on his mouth. j/k....

Last edited:
Your slang might work in Texas, but if you bothered to venture out to the rest of the world you would find yourself sounding like a TOOL, much less understood.

Newsflash! The rest of the world does not understand your Texas trash talk! Try to sound like the professional you are. No one in FUK understands what the F%$K you mean by "on the rowl"

My CFI with 12,000 hours said that really the word "takeoff" should be used only by the tower when giving takeoff clearance, and by nobody else. He said that when Im cleared to take off, I should just say something along the lines of "cleared to go" or "on the roll."

Whaddya guys think?

The AIM says nothing even close to what your instructor proposes. Read the entire communications chapter in the AIM and abide by it. If your instructor has a problem with compliance to a book written by the FAA you should politely refer him to said chapter. If he still has a problem with it you should politely let him know you will be continuing your instruction with someone else.

Your slang might work in Texas, but if you bothered to venture out to the rest of the world you would find yourself sounding like a TOOL, much less understood.

Newsflash! The rest of the world does not understand your Texas trash talk! Try to sound like the professional you are. No one in FUK understands what the F%$K you mean by "on the rowl"

You sound like a TOOL in this post.

Latest resources

Back