Old School Toys

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
dangerboy said:
I remember I had a Tonka airplane that looked sort of like a Duke, with a handle and a trigger to make the props spin. Between that and my Millenium Falcon, I was fat, dumb and happy. Now I'm just fat and dumb...

Man, I had that same plane! I think it's probably still at my parent's house somewhere. I was really big into optimus prime and voltron too. I also loved GI Joes, anyone remember the cartoon? Oh yeah, my dad's atari 800 was sweet :D

CoolHands said:
Man, I had that same plane! I think it's probably still at my parent's house somewhere. I was really big into optimus prime and voltron too. I also loved GI Joes, anyone remember the cartoon? Oh yeah, my dad's atari 800 was sweet :D
are you guys talking about the one that was army green on the top half and the botton, w/ the 'trigger', was tan? and it had a black piece on the top of the fuselage that you used to raise the landing gear? i LOVED that plane!!!!

Captain Midnight secret decoder badge. You drank Ovaltine and Capt. Midnight racked up the turbojet PIC under the admiring gaze of Mr. Mudd every Saturday morning. There was a guy with glasses and a lab coat, but I can't remember his name.

Remember, 'Sled ?

dangerboy said:
I remember I had a Tonka airplane that looked sort of like a Duke, with a handle and a trigger to make the props spin. Between that and my Millenium Falcon, I was fat, dumb and happy. Now I'm just fat and dumb...

Born in 74 I was a child of the late 70's early 80's.

I had and still have it (in my parents attic I hope) the same plane. Mine was light blue. Yeah it was like a cross between a Baron/Duke and a Navajo. I wore my wrist sore squeezing (insert your joke here for what I wear my wrist sore doing now) the handle to make the props turn. Counter rotating if I remember.

Never had a big wheel or green machine, I was the youngest in the neighborhood so I had to be like the older kids and went from a tricycle to a dirtbike. I had a cousin that had a green machine so i was "checked out" on the lever operation. The thing is if you got the back wheels/axel turned real tight it was a bitch to get back straight. It didn't skid a well as a big wheel also.

I used to build stuff like crazy also, was always stealing my dads tools' while he was deployed or on a trip. I built a 3/4 scale wood ultralight like a quicksilver MX after I saw one in a national geographic. Then I built another one that was a cross between a Cassutt and Stitts. I believe parts of that one are still back in the woods behind my parents house. I built a delux treehouse complete with shingles that is still in thoes woods today. Scrap wood was easy to come by as after we moved in many developments started to spring up in the neighborhood. Wood for airplanes, treehouses and skate ramps was just a midnight covert ops over to new developement.

I had star wars stuff: X-wing, snow speeder, milenium falcon and the GI joe f-14. I also had this plastic army green cessna high wing that was a cross between a 150 and an L-19.

Jarts and shrinky dinks - just lawsuits waiting to happen. Anyone remember the kid from NJ who put a hot shrinky dink on his face straight from the oven, that pretty much ended that company right there.

I had a great powell parlota skate board that I found out last year my mom tossed out while she was cleaning the garage. I almost cried.

I grew up in what was pretty rural PA at the time so my school district was small and all we had was soccer (no football) and baseball so thats what I played and had quite a collection of shin guards and cleats. In jr/high I added wresteling and also started to race bikes (road bike, mtb and track) so in my teens I gathered a good collection of racing bikes.

I still have this childhood memory of when my older sister and her friend saw the movie Mommy Dearest. After they saw the movie they thought it would be fun to test the wire coat hanger beating out on little happy go lucky LearLove. Yeah what fun, 6 year old me comes home from a soccer game and gets ambushed by 2 nine year old girls with wire coat hangers.

Last edited:
LearLove said:
Born in 74 I was a child of the late 70's early 80's.

I had and still have it (in my parents attic I hope) the same plane. Mine was light blue. Yeah it was like a cross between a Baron/Duke and a Navajo. I wore my wrist sore squeezing (insert your joke here for what I wear my wrist sore doing now) the handle to make the props turn. Counter rotating if I remember.

Also a prodigy of 74. My little Duke was yellow, with white on the bottom. Open canopy which my hermit crab could take rides. Trigger broke after a few trips off the back patio.

Here's a few I remember.

Lego's (already mentioned)
Lot's of remote control cars.
Big bulky walkie talkies. (Fisher Price I think)
Stretch Armstrong
Atari-River Raid was King
Voltron
Die Cast airplanes everywhere.

Anybody remember the game that ran off your VCR? It had a couple of guns and you would shoot at your TV at F-14's while playing the video? It would put these big cross hairs on your TV. I forgot who made it, but that was fun.

Pitchback -- the net you could throw a baseball at and it would bounce back
Gyroscope
The little plastic men with parachutes
Water rockets
Smashball at the beach
Duncan yo-yos
Daisy BB gun
Wrist Rocket -- slingshot
All kinds of model rockets
I have to vote for Frogger but River Raid did rock.

What about the little red rocket that you filled with water and pumped it up with air and let it fly.

"real" dart guns that would actually put your eye out or the guns that shot the little yellow pellets those things hurt like He!!.

I had a dart gun. Sometimes I wonder where all the stuff I use to own went. Maybe my mom and dad put my dart gun in a box so that one day I can give it to my kids. I also had some really cool Ninja stuff. I always wanted to be a Ninja, maybe its not too late. Can anyone tell me where I can go to school to become a Ninja?

Some other old school toys that I loved......
Model railroads
Those little cars that ran on the plastic tracks, you used a trigger to make them go. I had a track set up all the way around the room once.
The original laser tag sets.
Playdo!

I love this thread.

Last edited:
Gotta love the Gi Joes, I think I had every type of aircraft, the hovercraft, everything.

Does anybody know the name of that Tonka airplane? I LOVED that thing, my sisters broke my propellers on it and I think my mom or dad stepped on it and broke the nose gear. I wanna get one for my nephew off of ebay if it's there.

Atari, Clouddancer or something like that, made the strange "poop" sound when you hit the trees. fun game, spent hours on that thing.
Also definately plastic model airplanes, at one point I think I had around 400-500 hanging from my bedroom, sitting on the bed, all over the place.

Anybody remeber the "Night Rider" 3-wheeler? that thing wa bad a$$!!!

avi8or54 said:
What about the little red rocket that you filled with water and pumped it up with air and let it fly.

Jeez. Finally a toy from MY generation. I was SO pissed that all the little kids in my neighborhood had Big Wheels and Green Machines with a freakin placard on them stating 'Weight limit 60 lbs'. I was about 75 around the time these showed up (1973 or 74). Friggin' 1970's polymers.

Missed ATARI by about three years, too. Damn you kids!

Latest resources

Back