Old Movies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
chawbein said:
I'll second Dr. Strangelove!! I LOVE that movie!!
"We could have a DOOMSDAY GAP!!"

Best line:

Admiral: "Why don't you try one of these Cuban cigars, Ambassador? They're pretty good."

Ambassador Kisoff: "Thank you no. I do not support the work of imperialist stooges."

Admiral: "Oh. Only Commie stooges, huh?"

--Or maybe...

President: "Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

old flying movies...

how about the bridges at toko ri with william holden and a more recent but as old as some mentioned here, "FINAL APPROACH". it was ok, it revolved around a guy sitting in what appears to be a psychologists office in a millitary flight suit...kind of like a twilight zone type ending.

Also, two movies from the master of terror..."Langoliers" and one where a guy was flying around in a bonanza, chasing down a vampire living out of a black chessna mix master...

And who of course could forget william shatner, sitting on a plane with a gremlin running amok out side on the wing....I think the role wound up getting played by john lithgow in twilight zone the movie.

My co workers never want to talk about flying or movies, much less do they see them...thanks for letting me share a moment in the conversation guys/gals.

An interesting story concept, although many of the effects and makeup are very cheesy by today's standards, can be seen in Millenium, with Kris Kristoferson and Cheryl Ladd (who is darn cute in this movie).

Cheryl and her stewardess friends (uh.....flight attendant friends....) are sent from the future to board airplanes which the future people already know are going to crash, and replace the passengers who will turn up "dead" with lifeless "copy" bodies made in the future. Are you following this? The survivors are zapped to sleep and left on board, including a young boy who grows up to be an accident investigator: Kris Kristoferson.

The Duke

If you can find a copy (it was never put on video - but there are bootleg copies off of the reel) try the old Earest Gann novel turned movie "The High and the Mighty" with John Wayne. I had a copy and lost it years ago. I've also heard that they made a movie out of "Fate is the Hunter", also by Gann. Even if you can't find them on tape... they are a MUST READ for any aviator.

Another Kareem Story

Originally posted by DCitrus9
Dont' forget about Kareem Abdul Jabbar in airplane! I had him on my flight out of Telluride once, in a 1900D no less. His shoulders scraped the ceiling and I don't know how he kept his cowboy hat on...

Hate to get off topic here, but a Captain I flew with at Allegheny told a good Kareem story. Just before taxi a Flight Attendant came up to the F/O's door on the Shorts 360 (had sliding doors on the outboard sides of the cockpit - one each for the Captain and F/O) to tell the pilots that a passenger in the first row behind the Captain refused to move for required seat blocking. The Captain told her to ask him to move one more time and emphasize that it was required for weight and balance reasons. She did, and came right back to say that he claimed to need the extra room he had in the first row of the shed. The Captain turned around in his seat - ready to verbally bitch - slap the obstinate passenger, slammed the door back, and looked right into the eyes of Kareem Abdul Jabbar. He had his knees up under his chin, and a pissed off expression on his face. The Captain just stared at him for a long moment, smiled, and told Mr. Jabbar and the Flight Attendant that it would be OK if he sat there.

Maybe they moved three or four normal sized people back to row 13 or something.

FlyChicaga said:
Oh! I started this thread, but I thought I'd throw a movie in.

"Frequent Flier" or something to that effect. I've seen it on TV twice in the past couple months. It's about an airline captain who has a wife in Chicago, a wife in Dallas, and a wife in Hawaii. It's hilarious... this guy is jumpseating back and forth to visit with all his different wives. Ridiculous.

Who in the hell would want more than one wife? That man should have his ticket pulled. he is insane.

Since somebody mentioned flight attendants.....anybody see "The Stewardesses"? Early 70's 3-D movie. Talk about the right stuff!!!!

"The High and The Mighty"

If anybody can find a copy of "The High and The Mighty" please let me know where you got it. I saw it once about 5 years ago and can't get it out of my mind. I was told it was the one John Wayne movie that was caught in a struggle between his heirs. That's why it isn't in relese. Absolutely has to be the finest movie ever made about aviation.

As far as "Top Gun"... it may be cheesey, but it sure inspired me. Especially when I needed inspiration.

JayDub

Runup-

The title was "Stewardesses in 3-D" and it was my first admission to an "adult" movie while a freshmen at NYU.

Re: "The High and The Mighty"

JayDub said:
If anybody can find a copy of "The High and The Mighty" please let me know where you got it. I was told it was the one John Wayne movie that was caught in a struggle between his heirs.
Not quite. It's being held up by Captain Gann's estate...but I'm not certain why.

You can't get a professional copy anywhere. I've tried. Maybe somebody on eBay has a pirated copy they'll sell you...not that I would ever condone such activity. ;)

Nobody's mentioned Always, with Richard Dreyfuss, Brad Johnson, and Holly Hunter. It's not exactly E.K. Gann material, but it's still a fun movie.

Latest resources

Back