OIL SUPPLY PROBLEMS--Radio Interview w/ Matthew Simmons

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
turbodriver said:
It'll never happen until he gets out of the white house. You know it, I know it and so do the rest of us. And if you don't believe it then you're just plain ignorant.

I guess there's no arguing with that statement.

"You're an alcoholic."
"No I am not"
See, your just in denial."

JetFlyer. . . whatever happened to your "Magnetic Power" company??

Just read

I just read the first link in the post above. It is a VERY sobering read. Serious food for thought about the future of our country, much less aviation.

miles otoole said:
I guess there's no arguing with that statement.

"You're an alcoholic."
"No I am not"
See, your just in denial."

Much as there's no arguing with someone who begins by calling those whose ideas run counter to his own "wackos." Surely you can see that? Surely that's obvious?

Sorry I offended you Mach Pi. I am very in the middle when it comes to politics. I even voted for Kerry in the last election and Gore before him. I see through Bush's lies are about the main reason I didn't vote for him either time. I am truly right in the middle when it comes to politics on all the issues. I really hate how Bush blatantly caters to his lobbying groups. I also don't ever mention politics when it comes to the oil problems, because I don't think people will take me seriously if I mention views either way. If I say I'm republican people will think I just want to drill in Alaska and use more coal. If I say I'm a Democrat people will say I'm just a green liberal that thinks SUVs are bad, we need to save the environment, and hate oil companies. Neither label fits me. I think we are going to have oil problems. PERIOD. I have no motives. Once again sorry I offended you when I said he wasn't a LEFT WING WACKO:)

In politics there are left wing and right wing wackos. We both know that. There are extremists on both sides. Many of these extremists will lie and say anything to get their way.

When people hear something like below they think immediately it's a Green Liberal that is maybe making a bigger deal out of the situation than is needed to save the environment:
"WE NEED TO GET OFF OIL NOW, OR OUR WAY OF LIVING IS GOING TO CHANGE FOREVER. WE NEED TO HAVE SOLAR, WIND, GEOTHERMAL, ELECTRIC CARS, OR OUR WAY OF LIVING IS GOING TO CHANGE FOR THE WORST REALLY QUICK"

I was saying that he is not a Left-Wing Wacko so people would understand that the environment was not Matthew Simmons motivations. He is a Houston "OIL MAN". He is saying, "GET OFF OIL" because we're about to start having Oil supply problems and he knows it. These supply problems are going to cause the price of oil to MULTIPLY many times if actions are not made to replace it.

We have to start finding other solutions now. One solution such as ETHANOL and BIO-DIESEL fuels are not going to cut it alone. The Oil sands of Canada, the OIL-SHALE of the U.S., Coal, or Hybrid cars are all going to be needed to be ramped up A LOT, to overcome the DECLINES of Oil that are going to begin in the next couple years. A combination of a hundred different things will be needed. We have to get serious and quick.

Jet

Last edited:
B6Guy said:
I just read the first link in the post above. It is a VERY sobering read. Serious food for thought about the future of our country, much less aviation.

B6Guy,
We've all been brainwashed to think oil will last forever. It's crazy to see how much trouble we're in when we just get to the HALF way point in our oil usage history huh? Oil discoveries have declined every decade for the last four decades. There is one problem: NEW FINDS ARE NOT COMING FAST ENOUGH TO REPLACE THE DECLINES IN THE CURRENT OIL FIELDS. There is nothing that can replace the POWER of oil at such a cheap cost. Oil is CHEAP. We're in trouble because we've set up our society like oil would be cheap forever. There is going to be FINANCIAL pain, especially for developing countries and the POOR of the U.S. especially. If oil goes to $100.00/ barrel or higher, it will no doubt slow down the economy. We need to start EXTREME changes now, to avoid that problem. Unfortunately some pain is obviously unavoidable, just look at gas prices now.

If anyone hasn't read what B6guy just read and said was sobering, you should read the SPEECHES to Congress given by Roscoe Bartlett, a Republican from Maryland. In the SECOND SPEECH BELOW, there are visual aids. The first one is more recent, but doesn't have the slides included which he was pointing to as he gave the speech to congress.

Roscoe Bartlett, Republican Congressman from Maryland just gave a new speech to Congress, broadcast on C-SPAN on July 19, 2005 about COMING OIL SUPPLY PROBLEMS.
Here is the transcript. I highly recommend you all read it:
http://www.xecu.net/thorn/PO/PO-July19-2005.html

April 19th Bartlett gave this speech to congress. This is a good speech to read, with visuals.
http://www.bartlett.house.gov/SupportingFiles/documents/energyspeech.pdf

Roscoe Bartlett met with Bush on Peak Oil on June 29th. So Bush, no doubt knows about the coming oil supply problems. Here is the press release from the Congressman's Website:
http://www.bartlett.house.gov/latestnews.asp?ARTICLE2900=7308http://www.bartlett.house.gov/lates...RTICLE2900=7308

Jet

p.s. once you've learned about peak oil, you have seen a glimpse of the future.

Last edited:
One of the worst things ever done to U.S. energy policy was when the SYNFUELS Corporation was terminated by the Reagen administration. It was a federal corporation whose primary purpose was the development of synthetic fuels. I believe it was a product of the Carter administration. That was one of the few things Carter got right.

The Reagen administration couldn't justify the cost because their primary focus was on coal gasification. The process cost more than a barrel of oil at the time, thus there was no need (so the reasoning went!). Since Carter, no administration has produced an effective, forward looking national energy policy,

Jetflyer:

This is excellent info and thanks for posting it. Our way of life is going to come to an abrupt end if the public doesn't become informed of what is coming.

Slim:

You, Sir, are also right on the money.

I am no hippy, feel-good, commie Democrat, but the Republicans have been behaving as if they know that a big asteroid is hurtling at us and they are going to make as much money and have as good a time as they can before the world ends. JMO

jetflyer said:
I am very in the middle when it comes to politics.
Jet

I don't care whether a person is left of Mao or right of Mussolini (well, maybe a little) as long as his argument is about the argument and not just a bunch of ad hominem attacks. Personal attacks that have nothing to do with the conversation make my eyes roll up into my head. That said, I now understand that your statement wasn't an ad hominem attack at all, and I apologize for having taken it that way. It's easy to miss the tone and the spirit of a statement on a forum, since it's hard to convey that on the printed page sometimes.

You have a Sierra Nevada with your name on it if we ever find ourselves in a Holiday Inn bar together with a little extra time.

Cheers,

MP

Oil-shmoil, just buy some CPST!!! Before it gets expensive, because it's gonna!

Latest resources

Back