• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Oil Pushing $60

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are a lot of things you can to do lower your gas usage, you can probably save several dollars a month at least just by having your tires at the right pressure, and having a clean air filter, or not having 100 lbs of crap in your car.

I used to have a Nissan Pathfinder that got me 16 mpg, city or highway, and now I have a 94 honda accord that gets me 35 highway, and about 30 city, so I dont even spend any more on gas now. how many people ride bikes or walk anywhere now? You would think people are allergic to doing that.

People seem to be afraid of conservation these days. Look at what our grandparents were willing to do during WW2, they had rationing for food and gas, carpooling, victory gardens, recycling scrap, and people today whine and moan at the slightest inconvienence, even though we are in a battle with terrorists who would love to kill us all

But hey, people need to have a large 4 wheel drive truck which never leaves pavement, to look cool, or a SUV they dont need, to keep up with the other wives...

Last edited:
In 5 years I want to be able to eat a huge Musk-oxin roast, washed down with a pint of black gold! I want black slimey teeth, and I want to burp musk-oxin or polar bear!

Bye Bye--General Lee

414 you da man.

General lee. LOL. If your wife is Daisy Duke, then you the man too.

............Back to animal house. Cya!

Soooooooo, what's your major......... Primitive Cultures:)

Last edited:

Give this man a cigar. When are we going to not only realize but pursue alternative fuels? This will be the biggest disappointment future generations have of us.

Future generations are not going to understand why we are wasting so much oil right now.

What alternative fuels? Hydrogen? The only source of free hydrogen, that you don't have to put more energy into then you get out, is petroleum (hydrocarbons).

I totally support increasing CAFE standards and increasing tax on auto fuel with the goal of increasing the efficiency with which we use petroleum. I don't feel this way because I'm an eco-tree hugger. I simply see that petroleum is essential to our way of life, there is a limited amount of it, and there is currently no replacement in sight.

That oil up in Alaska is like money in the bank. We should keep buying from abroad and conserve our own resources. We should definitely be up in Alaska surveying and doing the preliminary work to find out what is there, how to get it out and how to get it south, but we shouldn't be fueling today’s SUVs with it.

Scott

People are throwing around 6 month/24 year supply/replace all our Saudi oil to whatever means will support their argument.

Here's my conjecture/educated guess. If we were able to pump it out, transport, refine, and distrubute all the oil from the refuge it would supply the US for six months. That's still a lot of oil at the rates this country uses it.

At the rates the oil is discovered, drilled, pumped, transported, refined, and distributed there would be about 20+ years of drilling up there.

Anybody seen a pie graph of where we get our oil from? We actually don't import that big a share from the middle east. We buy much from Nigeria, Mexico, Canada, and Venezuela in addition to many other OPEC countries. The Saudis still pump the most oil, just not that big a cut is going to us. That's why it's easy to say that this oil would replace the Saudi imports.

I've seen some of the facilities up on the North Slope. They seem to be cleanly run. A caribou ran across our runway when we broke out on short final at Kopuruk, guess he didn't mind the big gravel runway in his patch or tundra. I was told they actually congregate to get out of the muskeg and get some relief from mosquitos. I'm not normally in favor of exploiting our national parks for resources but I'm in grudging support of this one, I think it's needed. But it's a drop in the bucket in terms of our energy solutions, we need to develop new sources of energy and conserve more. And yea I drive an SUV (small Jeep) and I sleep ok at nights but I'm not blind to the problems that our collective consumption brings.

Well practically speaking, we really cant just leave it up there like to just withdraw at once quickly at a later date. When the anti petroleum democrats say its only the equivalent of a 90 day supply, or 180, or 1 year, etc, it really is misleading because there is no way it can be pulled out that fast. North slope has been producing about 30 years now.

The faster you try and get it out, the more harm you cause to the geologic formation and you get less oil out.

You will get more out, the longer period of time you extract it over.

The only thing driving crude prices are the investment firms that are buying crude futures, period.

220 billion invested in the last 12 months.

Ya gotta put your money somewhere when over the last 5 years the stock market and the bond market have done relatively nothing.

The crude oil future market will crash just like the dot/com companies did. I don't know when, obviously, but sit back and watch.

SWA GUY said:
The only thing driving crude prices are the investment firms that are buying crude futures, period.

220 billion invested in the last 12 months.

Ya gotta put your money somewhere when over the last 5 years the stock market and the bond market have done relatively nothing.

The crude oil future market will crash just like the dot/com companies did. I don't know when, obviously, but sit back and watch.

That is exactly what I am saying. MM's that's all.

But, we do need to conserve and develop new sources as well to reduce foreign dependency on crude. Apparently, not everybody is as smart as the Texas LUVers, when it comes to hedging. But, it will retreat soon. I just hope it's not too late for my 27k in DAL. And my career for that matter.

I am hearing 22 billion barrels available a decade from now. That makes a differnce, that is for sure.

That may be true, but in the meantime I want to chew on some RAW Musk-ox meat, still bloody and fresh from NE Alaska, and pound it with a glass of fresh crude!

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
Not only will we get huge amounts of oil, but think about all of the extra meat we can eat---from those animals. I'll try an "Oxin' burger" at Wendy's please.....Yummy... How about a polar bear sandwich..... Sweet!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Polar bear is too fatty, but caribou is great!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back