• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Offline Jumpseaters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To say that I always ask is an understatment. I will sometimes stay and help them clean the airplane afterwords. Also, I have my cert, medical, ID, and JS Form at the ready. In the past with Yo Nited I was always asked for all my credentials, In return every mainline guy who asked to catch a ride on our little RJ just came up with his ID. I have refined it down to "Heres all my Shiznit, please please please let me ride, and Thank you, Thank you, Thank you."

Just wondering, the one in question was'nt a wholy owned where he may have need the JS but turned out to have a seat in the back was he?

not that hard to stick your head in the cockpit, with fa's permission if he/she is standing there, and say "capt? hi, joe smith, i work for freedom airlines, was wondering if i could catch a ride to btv today?" all while holding your id out. 9 out of 10 times the capt takes your id, shakes your hand and says "no problem." if the fo is not busy shake his/her hand as well and say "hi, how are you?" if they small talk, then you respond accordingly. no small talk, "i'll get out of your hair, thanks again." then say hi to the fa and say thanks to any and all of the crew that you see when you exit the plane. takes less than 30 secs and they probably won't remember you were there. but if you're a jerk or don't say hi or thanks, they will remember that. doesn't matter if its your airline or not.

We flew PHL to ATL this past weekend. I saw the jumpseater filling out the card at the podium, but didn't have a chance to talk to the guy. I was the last one one the aircraft, because my inbound flight was late. I asked the capt. if he saw or talked with a jumpseater, "nope." We never saw the guy get on the plane because we were running a bit behind, so watching people board wasn't a priority. I get off the plane in ATL to do the walk arround. This guy was standing there in the bridge waiting for is gate checked back. I was like "WTF" and he was "oh, yea...thanks for the ride..." The company ID hanging arround his neck was a give away on who he worked for. High five there "Acey" for comming by the cockpit, NOT!

That actually does sound like a nonrev or deadhead. When I'm nonrevving or deadheading I'll just say hi and thanks if it's not too out of the way for both parties.

On the other hand. I had a top notch Acey CRJ-700 commander the other day... I walked up front with all the usual stuff out and asked him if he minded if I could catch a ride and that I would be in the back.

His reply: "I possibly do mind, I don't think we can carry any jumpseaters, who are you with again?"

"Pinnacle... but there's 10 open seats... I won't need to be in the..."(CA jumps out of his seat, pushes by me, and picks up like 5 carryon bags and dissappears)

... cue awkward conversation with the FO. "Boy... this sure is a cleaner cockpit than the 200... and you have a printer...snazzy."

Captain comes back in, asks me a third time who I'm with and asks me why I need to ride up front.

"I don't... I've got seat 8C..."

Long story short... I wish I could have seen the confused look on my face as I left the cockpit. It was actually the first on-time ASA flight I've been on in memory...

Captain comes back in, asks me a third time who I'm with and asks me why I need to ride up front.

"I don't... I've got seat 8C..."

Long story short... I wish I could have seen the confused look on my face as I left the cockpit. It was actually the first on-time ASA flight I've been on in memory...

Hey that sound like that ole crazy JA, former CP and MEC Chair, retires soon! lol

VOTED IN FAVOR!

Last edited:
I think that new pilots think that jumpseating is a "right". That as long as the gate agent accepts the jumpseat form and brings up your little picture on the computer that suddenly you are "good to go". I always introduce myself to the crew, and if the gate agent doesn't tell me to go down and get it signed, I suggest to them that I go down there and talk to the crew. I think denying someone the jumpseat (unless they work for Mesa) is a kick in the balls move, but on the other hand, it's not my choice to make.

True story. My gf at the time and myself were trying to jumpseat from FLL to ATL on AirTran. The agent said the flight was full, but go talk to the captain anyway. Told him the situation, he came up to the gate agent and told her "get these two people on the airplane". Rode first class up to ATL. Classy pilot.

Bottom line is, introduce yourself to the crew. It's not that hard!

agreed jumpseating is a PRIVLEDGE not a RIGHT....its not about attitude or 'getting over an ego' the jumpseat( OFFLINE) is always to be ASKED for the seat, weather in the back or the front.

Its NOT about " we all have to commute, get over your ego " once again, its a priveldge from pilots to pilots....ask ask ask

I dont so much blame the 'new' or 'young' pilots.....maybe no one ever told them ' how to' excercise professional courtesy.....alot of them dont knwo any better, just politly let them know the proper way to do things.

Latest resources

Back