Officially Over 600......comair......

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RichO

Ok, maybe not, but I was tired of page 80 on the other thread......I guess next week the news is coming..........anyone have any "inside" info.... other than whats on EPIC.....??

Comair's fate!

I cant help but wonder what Comairs future holds. I cant believe that Delta will dismantle the airline piece by piece as it is a viable entity. Heck, it had one of the lowest CASM's in the industry, lower than ASA. Comair is definitely worth something. Maybe Delta plans on keeping Comair in the Delta family for good in which case the pilots should do whatever it takes to repair the damages set with the Mainline guys. Whatever happens to them, I wish them luck.

RichO said:
Ok, maybe not, but I was tired of page 80 on the other thread......I guess next week the news is coming..........anyone have any "inside" info.... other than whats on EPIC.....??

yeah, every delta thread is hard to read after a few days. They all go to 100+ replies.

Looking forward

There are a couple of potential pitfalls with furloughs. Comair has very little experience with furloughs so we can expect some missteps.

#1. What are the seniority numbers of the two first-officer representatives? If they are slated to be furloughed the MEC may begin to show signs of disunity, disorganization, and confusion.

#2. The pilot-group at large will experience large swings in relative seniority. For example, Captains will downgrade to F/Os. Lineholders will fall back on reserve. People who had expected to be able to hold holidays or weekends off, may find themselves back on less desirable schedules. This will fracture the pilot group.

#3. The pilots scheduled to be furloughed will be looking towards their elected leadership to try and find solutions. The leadership will not be likely to offer much in the way of help. Hopefully they'll have a job-fair, invite other airline recruiters, along with local non-aviation company recruiters. I would also hope they would hire a furlough administrator who will staff a committee to answer phones for several weeks before and following scheduled furloughs to answer questions regarding unemployment, pass-benefits, severence, 401K, etc.

Furloughs are a weapon. Regardless of whether or not Fast Freddy has any intention of downsizing the airline long-term, this single event will fragment the pilot group.

Being prepared for what is to come is time well spent. Hopefully your union leadership will call for a special MEC meeting following Fred's "announcement" in order to answer questions and share information.

Just as the strike tested some of you, so too will this event. Thousands of airline pilots have been furloughed since 09/11. They have survived. Some stayed in aviation. Others have found other paths. You will rise to the challenge as they have.

Best of luck to all of you.

Tim47SIP said:
I cant help but wonder what Comairs future holds.

I'll take a stab at it, and this isn't intended as flame.

Disclaimer, this is pure speculation, like most everything else on this forum.

DAL will use the BK process to lower CMR's pay, benefits and scheduling to the stone age, just like they intend to do with the mainline.

CMR will dump a large number of their junk CRJ200s. This will lead to significant furloughs.

DAL then plans on introducing a significant number of E series jets on the CMR property. Unfortunately they will be flown for significantly less than the CRJ200 rates CMR is currently enjoying.

Once CMR is fattened up with these shiny new jets, being flown at "bottom of the industry" pay rates by new enthusiastic pilots from the pilot puppy mill of choice, CMR will be spun off.

Latest resources

Back