OFFICIAL! SkyWest In IAH

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Mkay-

Thanks for bringing some rationality back to this discussion. Everyone needs to calm down and re-read their respective posts. What good does all of this pissing and moaning do? Let's wait and see what happens. I'm sure we'll all know what's up by Friday.(I hope)

The users on these message boards make up less than 1% of the respective pilot groups, so spare us the interview advice and words of warning. We are all professionals and can handle our own decision making when it comes to interviews, attitude, etc. I went to school with a couple of Skywest guys and was in training with another who joined SKY after XJT furlough. If I need further advice I can speak with them. No need to shove company protocol down my throat.

If Skywest found a loophole in the MOU, then they deserve the IAH flying. If the XJT union is that idiotic and unresourceful, then some changes need to be made quickly. I don't blame either company for their respective stance on this issue. Once again, let's hope we can all gain from this codeshare.

GuppyPuppy said:
Could you tell me how your situation is any different than when COEx took over mainline CO routes? Or, how is it different from when SKYW took over mainline UA and DL routes? Should the pilots at UA and DL have demanded that the new jobs at SKYW and ACA BELONG to them?

Re-read my post on page two of this thread.

And mcpickle, do you think that it is even remotely possible that there is one pilot at COEx who was turned down at SKYW? If so, why should they be automatically hired at SKYW? Do you think that it is even remotely possible that there is one pilot who is furloughed from COEx that does not fit into the SKYW business model? And do you think that it is remotely possible that the style of person both SKYW and COEx look for could differ just a little bit?

If you answered yes to any of the above questions then you should be able to see why the COEx pilots would need to go through an interview process at SKYW.

We'll see what happens.

GP

First Express doing mainline flying stinks because without movement at the CAL we don't flow through. That being said, its still in the same company. I dont agree with it, but at least its within the same company by pilots from the same union.

Now I understand that some of our guys might not fit the corperate image that Skywest is looking for. (some of us bathe rather infrequently:D ) But Our guys have been out of work for 18 months. I think that we've bent enough, and if Skywest wants the new flying they should have to compromise. know its a big shat sandwich but I really dont see any negatives for Skywest and just more diaper treatment for Express.

I understand the industry stinks now. But this is the time that we need our union and to stay unified more that ever. We can fight for only so much but when our flying starts going to a lower bidder and our pilots are unemployed thats when our union is here to help us. (I hope)

Re: THAT IS WHY THEY NEED INTERVIEWS

MONKEY said:
Mckpickle they need the interviews to keep the guys out who only want to break airplanes and call in sick to cause the company grief. I can see why they would want to screen you out. Just my 2 cents. Maybe I shouldn't bother, because I don't have a dog in this fight, but pilots with that attitude just bug me.

Try flying the line for a few years and see how your attitude towards this job changes. In the mean time keep in mind that sick time doesn't count against you at your virtual airline. Stay in the bush leagues junior!

METARzan,
They obviously lowered their standard when they hired you. Check your spelling.

Smoove Ride said:
i have to agree with Guppypuppy. i think it's already a done deal, and XJT folks are going to have to live with it. interview at skywest, or stay on the street. if i were in their (XJT pilots) shoes, i'd feel the same way.... (pissed off, that is)

history repeats itself, furloughed XJT will have to interview like everyone else did. hopefully all will benefit from these procedings which we as pilots have little or no control over...

Smoove,

It is NOT a done deal. Skywest and CAL may have announced a code-share, but CAL ALPA has yet to ratify an IAH Prop MOU. Pasted below is a copy of a Pilot-2-Pilot blastmail that was received today in my email box .

"Skywest Airlines and Continental Airlines announced a code-share agreement today for turboprop flying in Houston. CAL ALPA and Continental Airlines are currently engaged in active negotiations for an MOU involving this flying. As of today, the MOU has not been finalized nor has it been signed by your elected representatives. However, last Friday at the MEC Meeting in Houston, the CAL MEC unanimously (16-0-0) approved a resolution directing the CAL Negotiating Committee (in coordination with the CALEX NC) to complete bargaining for a Houston turboprop MOU. Your elected representatives will distribute more information once the MOU is concluded and signed. If you have any questions or concerns about this issue, please contact your elected representative."

As I said, the deal has yet to be finalized. What I DO know...is that it WON'T just be preferential interviews for our furloughed (and perhaps some of our active) pilots. They will be subject to SKYW's new hire pilot qualifications as far as minimum hourly requirements, but that's it. This information comes from conversations with several ALPA representatives yesterday. This is a VERY hot issue on our property right now.

As far as I am concerned, Skywest and Continental had NO business publishing a press release before the third party in the deal had signed off on it. CAL ALPA will most likely agree, but that doesn't give the other 2 parties the right to go publishing press releases.

For those of you getting your panties in a wad on this issue, chill out. Getting emotionally charged for no reason is pointless. Just be patient and wait and see. ExpressJet pilots don't want to harm SKYW pilots and I'm sure that the reverse holds true. Remember this....we are not enemies. We all are just pilots who are stuck in the middle.

GJ

Last edited:
George Jetson said:
As far as I am concerned, Skywest and Continental had NO business publishing a press release before the third party in the deal had signed off on it. CAL ALPA will most likely agree, but that doesn't give the other 2 parties the right to go publishing press releases.

George,
Some of the SkyWester's posted excerpts from internal company communications regarding their new base opening etc. SkyWest is a publicly traded company. I think if they tried to keep a lid on it they could get into trouble with the SEC. You can't tell employees and not the public when a material disclosure effecting stock price has been made. You might want to check out SEC.gov for info.

No dog in the fight but I'm willing to bet a six-pack that this deal moves forward with or without CALALPA blessing. The only recourse the union is has is going to court and you can bet with the current White House residents no judge is going to stop them. By the time the case is heard XJT will probably put RJ's back on the routes and there won't be anything left to squabble about.

You can send me a 6 pack of Coors when this is all over.

embdrvr said:
You can send me a 6 pack of Coors when this is all over.

Wow....you're a cheap date. :D

I'm pretty confident that the deal will go through also. If CAL ALPA does say no and the company goes ahead anyways, they have the grievance process to back them up. How effective that will be, I don't know.

As far as SEC regs, etc, I'm well aware of those and the implications of withholding information to the public, yada yada yada. My only point was that it sure did suck to see press releases about service to Killeen and Waco when as of today, CAL ALPA has only agreed to VCT on July 1. Whatever happened to integrity and credibility in the negotiations process?

It definitely wouldn't surprise me to see CAL go ahead regardless, given their "award winning" employee relations. Don't believe Gordon's book......the employees at CAL and XJT have been taking it in the rear for years...especially since 9/11. Talk to any CAL/XJT employee and they will tell you why. Nothing like furloughing employees only to outsource work to a third party. Talk about feeling burned.....

GJ

George Jetson said:
......As I said, the deal has yet to be finalized. What I DO know...is that it WON'T just be preferential interviews for our furloughed (and perhaps some of our active) pilots. They will be subject to SKYW's new hire pilot qualifications as far as minimum hourly requirements, but that's it. This information comes from conversations with several ALPA representatives yesterday. This is a VERY hot issue on our property right now. .............

GJ [/B]

No wonder it's a VERY hot issue on the property. No offense but most of us have heard about the COEX interview process (if you can call it that).

"Calling all union reps...............calling all union reps!"

Good luck.

easy spirit said:
No wonder it's a VERY hot issue on the property. No offense but most of us have heard about the COEX interview process (if you can call it that).

What does John Dresser (he was let go after 9/11 by the way) and his "interview" process have to do with this issue? For the record, some guys had great experiences, others had bad ones. I personally was disgusted by some of the stories I heard. I only had one interview and it was non-confrontational. Some guys had quite the opposite and I disagree with that tactic. Nonetheless....this has absolutely zero bearing or relevance to this discussion.

GJ

Last edited:
Why would it be such a HOT issue then at COEX to have to interview at SkyWest for a job. I don't understand. As stated earlier in these threads the UAL furloughees didn't just walk in demanding jobs at SkyWest. They interviewed for them. SkyWest IS a desireable company to work for.

Okay, your right, mabe the COEX interview "process" isn't relevent here. Sorry. I just don't understand why it's such a HOT issue for XJT folks. We are all professionals. Just prepare, show some knowledge, competence and a GOOD attitude and I'm sure the XJT guys/gals will be in the air in no time.

Latest resources

Back