Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Official:Frontier Airlines Selects Republic Airlines as Regional Partner to Operate N

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just thinking outside the box here as well. To get 76 seats on a CL product. I believe you would have to jump up to the 900 or the 705 whatever they call it. An I am sure you are getting close on the cost then, if not more.

The muscle behind RAH is Wexford. Would you agree that we have grown/benefitted, as an airline, since they have come along. They obviously know what they are doing. They are the same guys pulling the strings, behind the scenes at F9 - do you think bad things are going to happen to the F9 guys? I think not.
Wexford is probably going to focus F9 ops in longer routes/carribean/Mexico ops, while we will provide feed and do point to point short stuff. Wexford are very aggressive and have alot of cash available, F9 will do very well in the next few years - I would go there in a heartbeat!

Would you guys stop and think for a moment. I'm tired of hearing that the 170 is a bad choice due to 3% higher fuel burn. 3% isn't that much. Think of it this way:

Let's just say a flight in a CRJ700 uses 10,000 lbs of fuel on a given flight. That would mean a 170 would use 10,300 lbs. Convert that extra 300 lbs into gallons. It's about 50. I'm not sure what the going rate of fuel is, but for easy math, we will call it $2.00. So we are talking $100 in gas. That's it.

All you need is to get one extra passenger to buy a ticket for every two flights to break even. I think Frontier is betting on the 170 being so much more popular with pax due to the cabin size, overhead bins, and noise level that selling a few extra tickets to guys who previouly didn't want to ride on a CRJ shouldn't be a problem.

Take your $100 X 5 legs per day = $500
Take your $500 per day per airplane X 17 (number of aircraft) = $8500
Take your daily extra fuel cost of $8500 X 30 days in a month = $255,000
take your monthly extra fuel cost of $255,000 times 12 months = $3,060,000
Take your annual extra fuel cost times 11 years (life of contract) = $33,660,000
Funny how it adds up!

There is really no debating that pax prefer the 170. There is also no debating that most pax are price sensitive. If Frontier can't sell the tickets cheaper than United, they will have a rough go of it.

The Frontier 170s will have what, 74-76 seats? The CR7 has 70 seats.

6 more seats worth of revenue will more than offset the marginally higher operating cost.

CR7 = 64 pax (maybe 70, I don't know the config for F9)
Frontier 170 = 76 pax

10 (or 6) more pax > increased fuel burn $

Stop defending the CRJ, it sucks, but if you paid me enough to fly it, of course I would. Remember, we operate the CRJ also, I'm sure we offered it to F9, but they don't want it. Clearly the 170 fits their expansion plans, stop crying about cost and let F9 mngt worry about putting a$$es on seats! They know the #s, we know the #s and they chose based on that.

Latest resources

Back