Official: ASA not getting ANY 900s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Crash Pad said:
Two guys say the Union sucks. Another two guys say it is great.

Ok now for the reality. The union is being broken right in front of your eyes. Go up to MSP and find me a pro union mechanic.... See what I am getting at.

If the union wants to impress me they will get to a single list and fast. If the pilot group wants to impress me they will tell Jerry we will dump the Union and be rolled into one list under the SKYW working agreement.

Based on this thread neither will happen and I will start out at the bottom at SKYW on first year pay.

The sooner you leave the more senior you will be at SkyWest. Bye, Bye.

ASA_Aviator said:
I would put a stop to the anti-intellectual culture at ALPA. Our pilots are not idiots, and they can think for themselves. It is not seditious to think and act independently.

While I certainly belive that unions have an important role in this industry (and it should be ONE union), my pre-SKW experience was a really sh*tty ALPA carrier where the appointed-for-life MEC was made up of thug high-school drop-out losers who were so f*cking stupid that the college drop-out losers who ran the company were able to roll over them like a frieght train anytime they felt like it. The ONLY smart thing those @ss-clowns ever did in their life was to sell out the bottom 15 years of the payscale to get an extra dollar or two for the 18+ crowd.

JA's operation provides a one billion percent improvement over that so far, and no dues! I'm not real interested in ALPA right now unless they demonstrate an ability to define and implement INDUSTRY-WIDE direction and standards that could provide long-term improvements and remove pilot labor groups from the whipsaw equation (companies could still compete, but with innovation, effeciency, and good management).

Just my experience.

Bizjet said:
And Joey wants to make sure we are the leaders of "backwards pattern bargaining"! This industry is changing and you want to make sure you and your type are never involved in assisting the evil union so now you must support the inept aviation managements that run the airlines. You are one truly screwed up individual. Your personal hatred for ALPA and weak personality prevents you from having any ability to stand up for what is right. You are just looking out for yourself only. I guess this should have been expected because of the company you keep. The two of you could care less about your fellow pilots especially those who support the union. You two have made your own bed and you will forever have to lay in it--excrement and all. You no longer have to stay here because your missionary work is done. You have failed to convert the heathen pilots of ASA and now it is time for the two of you to officially cross over to the enlightened management side. I am sure you will be rewarded for your failed efforts.

THOU SHALL NOT STEAL! So do you think you can return the minutes you stole from the union LEC meeting? Your childish refusal only reinforces the belief that you are totally out of control with your professional as well as your personal life! Your mini lectures on how to run the union have failed. Return the unions property and resign your position as LEC Sec./Treas. since you have refused to do your job for the last two plus years and continue being professional slumlords. Speaking of new boats for Duane maybe you can buy his old one. I understand the teak decks are so clean you can crawl around on them and never get any "dirtier".

Weak personality... So if I bend to the union merely because everyone else does, that makes me strong? Conforming to a herd like a bunch of sheep gives me strength? Explain that one to me Einstein... Seems to me the strong ones are the ones who have the capability to think for themselves, and who do not conform to the whims of a group just because everyone else does.

If someone doesn't drink the union cool-aid, the pinko-commie types come along and say you sleep in excrement, etc. etc. ad nauseum. How dare I have the gall to not stand next to my union brothers in 100% solidarity?!!!! Well, I don't "toe the line" because the union we have at ASA is impotent. That's right, it wants to screw the company, but it can't because, truth be told, the company holds all the cards, and its penis is limp. Especially now. Jerry Atkin is a businessman. Put the planes in the division that is most efficient, end of story. If a union is out there forcing salaries to be above market value, then by god, the planes won't go to that union's pilot group.

Which is why we, as a group, should be doing everything in our power to make this the most efficient, lean company out there. We can get more flying, control more of the marketplace, and then we can demand higher prices for our services, which in turn will give the company the capital and reason to reward us for our efforts. These people running around using full thrust takeoff all day, running at climb power all day, taxiing on two engines all day, etc. are cutting into my paycheck, and yes, I'm pissed about it. Stop screwing us! (You're not screwing the company, but merely just transferring more assets to SkyWest.)

Face it, there's a lot of dissent right now about the union. It just isn't providing results, and it costs us dearly. For the union to survive, it needs to actually DO something, and it needs to represent the group in a meaningful way. (Don't even get me started on the fact that I'm FORCED to pay dues even though I want to have nothing to do with the union.)

ASA_Aviator said:
Weak personality... So if I bend to the union merely because everyone else does, that makes me strong? Conforming to a herd like a bunch of sheep gives me strength? Explain that one to me Einstein... Seems to me the strong ones are the ones who have the capability to think for themselves, and who do not conform to the whims of a group just because everyone else does.

Is your name Joey?

ASA_Aviator said:
If someone doesn't drink the union cool-aid, the pinko-commie types come along and say you sleep in excrement, etc. etc. ad nauseum. How dare I have the gall to not stand next to my union brothers in 100% solidarity?!!!! Well, I don't "toe the line" because the union we have at ASA is impotent.

The union is as strong as the majority of the membership. That is why your little whiny punk attitude doesn't represent the majority and has no effect on the ultimate goal of a fair contract.

ASA_Aviator said:
Which is why we, as a group, should be doing everything in our power to make this the most efficient, lean company out there. We can get more flying, control more of the marketplace, and then we can demand higher prices for our services, which in turn will give the company the capital and reason to reward us for our efforts.

You couldn't possibly be that naive, ignorant perhaps. So if we are good little boys and girls and work for substandard wages and benefits we will be rewarded with growth? Or like you said we can DEMAND higher prices for our services. And if JA decides to say NO to your demands what are you going to do then Sport? Call Mommy and Daddy and have the them call the family attorney to file suit on you behalf? What if he says no and starts transfering assets to SkyWest or any other sub he may own at the time? What is you plan for that? If we are the best and cheapest pilots and are shackeled to this inept ASA management what do you expect from JA? He is going to play these two pilot groups forever if the majority started thinking like you. This must be your first job.

ASA_Aviator said:
Face it, there's a lot of dissent right now about the union. It just isn't providing results, and it costs us dearly. For the union to survive, it needs to actually DO something, and it needs to represent the group in a meaningful way. (Don't even get me started on the fact that I'm FORCED to pay dues even though I want to have nothing to do with the union.)

You don't have to pay your dues. I am certain that you believe you will never need any protection from this company. There has been others like you come to this airline with the I am philosophly opposed to unions attitude. They seem to be the first ones to get themselves into trouble and come whining to the union about the heavy handed company. Most of their problems were created by their own doing and usually because they thought they had all the answers. If you don't want to pay your way then there are several airlines that have no union so why not leave if you feel so strongly.

the more people realize that unions are businesses and not unions, the more people will realize that we are all f^@*ed.

Gr82Aviate said:
No thanks...we don't need anymore anti-union, anti fellow pilot, management brown nosers here.

Sorry. I guess we can keep him here to keep JoeyMerchant company. One is junior and self serving the other is senior and that and more.

And AC 701 getting the skywest logo painted on this weekend. Skywest took it Tues. 900's hell lets hope we still have 700s.

You know what, guys and girls... We could work for free and it wouldn't change anything. I, along with many others, think Atkin will eventually shrink ASA out of existence. It has absolutely nothing to do with the pilot contract. The culture of mismanagement runs so deep at this company and has such an horrendous history that the only way to make a Delta Connection carrier operate well out of Atlanta is to completely tear it down and rebuild it. That unfortunately means a 100% turnover in personnel. The wreckage left behind by the current and former ASA management teams has taken over this place like a metasticized cancer. It's gone way too far to be able to simply cut the tumor out and move on. The body is far too infected to survive.

The first step was to start taking 70s. The second step was to start taking 90s. 50 seaters will quickly become things of the past. As they begin to park them, we won't have anything to replace them with. The company will shrink and eventually die. The remaining 50 seaters will move on over to Skywest. As they build up their Atlanta operation, I have no doubt they will succeed where LaBreque, Barnette, Pickett, and Biser failed. Why? Because Skywest actually has an aptitude for airline management. Our current leadership, on the other hand, could most likely run a lemonade stand into the ground inside of 6 months.

Do not let them trick you into thinking you are failing this company by refusing to work under a substandard contract. To the contrary, it it they who have failed us. They have failed us with their arrogance. They have failed us with their ineptitude. Most of all, they have failed us with their inaction. We have been last in baggage handling for God knows how long. What have they changed? Our on time performance in in the toilet and the leadership update has the audacity place the blame on the crews. When Bryan LaBreque applies for his next job and they ask him, "What was the most effective thing you did at your previous place of business?", the best he will be able to say is, "Umm... I bought a kiddie playground to put outside of C-24 so people could better distract their children during their 6 hour delays."

As I said before, it is my firm belief that no matter what we give up on this contract, this company is on borrowed time. With that mindset, I refuse to take a concessionary contract. If someone could prove to me that a concessionary contract would save this company, I would think about it. However I have seen no evidence to that end.

Just listen to the Skywest pilots on this board, guys. THEY MAKE MORE MONEY THAN WE DO!!!! This is not about crew costs. It's about pulling the plug on a terminal patient that has been on life support for far too long.

What can we do about it? Absolutely nothing.

Latest resources

Back