Obstruction Clearance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ToiletDuck said:
not debate. They called and asked the question. We are debating it here lol. what was ment by class G you can punch through cloud?

Well what do you need to go into clouds?
Flight plan and ATC clearance right? Yes, if you're in controlled airspace.

The regs don't say "in uncontrolled airspace you need.....".

So...the way I read it, if you want to operate IFR in uncontrolled airspace, you can.

I still can't figure out a "why would you want to"...but there it is...and remember Victor airways are class E...

-mini

PS
If you're doing your -II after your CFI, know these regs by heart! You will probably be asked about them on your oral...just a heads up.

I used to get this quiet often at my old flight school. My student and I would be out VFR and the weather would push in or vis would go down. We would call approach and get a clearance like this:

XYZ maintain own obstruction clearance to 2500 feet, cleared direct, sqauwk XXXX.

Basically, it meant we were cleared direct and given an IFR clearance once we reached 2500 feet.

Where it could get "hairy" is when the weather got bad enough that the clearane to 2500 would put us in IMC before getting there and we would be in Class E airspace.

What's the field elevation? That often confuses some folks, ATC clearances are in MSL, while ceilings are in AGL. If the field elevation is 1000', then the base of the ceiling is at around 3500'.

In any case, if there is a published departure procedure, or you can otherwise insure your own terrain clearance, then you're good to go. The controller didn't say "Maintain VFR to 3000'", they asked if you could provide your own terrain separation.

Quote:XYZ maintain own obstruction clearance to 2500 feet, cleared direct, sqauwk XXXX.Basically, it meant we were cleared direct and given an IFR clearance once we reached 2500 feet. UnquoteNo, you already have your IFR clearance in this case. You're cleared IFR, but must maintain your own terrain separation to 2,500'. You're making the assumption, with the clearance as you've given it, that you're not cleared IFR until reaching 2,500', but that's not what you posted. In the case of what you posted, you're cleared IFR, direct destination, but must maintain own terrain separation to 2,500'. In this case, you do not need to remain visual; you can enter the cloud, so long as you can ensure terrain separation by any number of means. All this indicates is that you're the one who is responsible. Clearly, ATC has told you ATC will not be responsible. Never the less, you are cleared IFR, destination direct.
Seems the board still needs some tweaking. Most of my "buttons" don't work.

minitour said:
I still can't figure out a "why would you want to"...
Perhaps because you're headed to an airport which is situated smack dab in the middle of Class G airspace?
aucfi said:
"Legal Stupid"
It might surprise you to know that it's fairly common in some parts of the world, including parts of the US. In fact my carrier (US part 121) has operations specifications specifically addressing IFR ops in Class G airspace. I can think of several airports *with published IAPs* which are a long, long way from the nearest controlled airspace. The only way to get to that IAP is through uncontrolled airspace. Speak not of which you do not know.

terrain clearance

Be able to climb 200' per nautical mile, aka a diverse departure, or comply with any published obstacle departure in the front of the approach pubs. If you can get to the MEA, MOCA, or OROCA, you will already be above the MVA. The MVA will be the lowest of all of these.

If the publication says "climb on runway heading," be careful, the TERPsters don't factor in wind.

A Squared said:
Perhaps because you're headed to an airport which is situated smack dab in the middle of Class G airspace? It might surprise you to know that it's fairly common in some parts of the world, including parts of the US. In fact my carrier (US part 121) has operations specifications specifically addressing IFR ops in Class G airspace. I can think of several airports *with published IAPs* which are a long, long way from the nearest controlled airspace. The only way to get to that IAP is through uncontrolled airspace. Speak not of which you do not know.

I was referring to entering the IFR conditions without the flight plan and clearance. Your 121 carrier addresses that?

I realize there are airports in class G airspace that have approaches and are "far away" from controlled airspace...but why would you want to go to/from that airport without getting a flight plan on file and a clearance?

That's what I don't understand "why".

-mini

Latest resources

Back