• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Obama shakes hands

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While I am definitely not an Obama supporter, I must say that gesture was in very good taste and professional. I am cautiously optimistic that this kind gesture is a symbol to all military members and their families that this president will be mindful or their needs.

He needs to look like he supports the military before he slashes the budget.
Yes, I AM that cynical.
Make no mistake. This guys is not a friend of the military. In this case, it's 1992 redux.

I'm with Hobit.

Bet that Marine was caught off guard.

well hell, wouldn't you be? the marine probably went back to his place and grabbed the manual and looked for "What to do when the commander in chief wants to shake your hand"

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/obamas-first-ride-on-marine-one/

just thought it was pretty cool since i haven't seen any other president shake hands of the marine standing at the air stairs before.:pimp:

There's a reason you haven't seen it before: it's not what Presidents traditionally do. While Mr Obama probably meant to show some sort of cool greeting, the fact he didn't appear to even return the salute is a direct reflection of his lack of understanding of military protocol and etiquette. I'm sure he meant no disrespect, but I'll be surprised if he does it the next time he flies Marine One. I'm hoping his military advisors will debrief him. He's the CinC, and he needs to get comfortable with that,... or at least act like he is.

Latest resources

Back