NY's Hometown Airline- Continental on FOX NY with Regis Tonight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gkrangers said:
So they'll fly them from wherever they live to Times Square for NYE next year? Thats a cool little publicity stunt.

Not exactly, they can spend new years 2007 in anyone of Continentals destinations. So Continental will fly them from where to live to wherever thay want to spend the next new years.

all the bridges and tunnels are free going to NJ (they only charge when coming from NJ into NY)

They let you into New Jersey for free, but they make you pay if you want to leave (same going to Pennsylvania and Delaware).

Speaking of which, I do see a great big Continental billboard directly over the Holland tunnel entrance every time I enter the tunnel Jersey bound (fantastic placement for a captive audience).

Ex737Driver said:
It's OK man, back off from the edge and put the kool aid down! It's just marketing ploys. Unclench, take a drink, and relax. You will live longer in the end. Overall, who cares?!?!

I agree, really who cares. Some of these LCC guys get worked up over the most meaningles stuff. RElax its just marketing. Kind of like SW saying they serve NYC from ISP or Miami from FLL. My .02 cents.

G4G5 said:
I would venture to say that AMR is NY' hometown airline.

They were based in NY for decades
The largest presence at LGA
The largest presence at JFK, not to mention the newest terminal

Since I live in NY I might know

As far as CAL goes, they will NEVER be NY's airline, after all their is a reason why all the bridges and tunnels are free going to NJ (they only charge when coming from NJ into NY)

G4G5,

I have to disagree with you here. Just because AA "used" to do a lot of NY flying doesn't make it today's hometown airline. AA does some flying to FL, CA, and Europe from NY...but it does nowhere near the amount of O&D flying that Continental does from EWR. Simply put, CAL does the most flights (to the most destinations) to/from NYC of any airline in the NYC area (even if you add up AA's JFK/EWR/LGA presence).

As a Manhattanite I agree with part of your last statement however...there is definitely a reason why we don't charge to enter NJ...only NY. :D That said, EWR is incredibly accessible from NYC and its NJ address, in my opinion, does not deter it from being "NYC's Hometown Airline." Have you seen all of the ads in Manhattan lately?

-Neal

PS - Do you fly out of HPN? I learned to fly there and still fly GA out of there during my time off.

LEt see AMR fly up and down the east coast--CLT,RIC,GSO,MYR,ATL,PIT,CLE,CVG,DTW,ORD,FLL,MCO,DAB, etc..

I don't think so--GO CAL keep up the good work!!! I miss it there...

Ex737Driver said:
It's OK man, back off from the edge and put the kool aid down! It's just marketing ploys. Unclench, take a drink, and relax. You will live longer in the end. Overall, who cares?!?!

That guy's piss is probably BLUE too, LOL.

The only true New York hometown airline was Pan Am followed by TWA. Everyone else is just filling a void.

Oh common PEOPLExpress was in there as well....

A lot is all marketing. If folks are willing to drive to EWR just like they do for NY football.....

I think CAL has passed even what TWA/Pan Am once had or atleast getting close from JFK. Great companies though. CAL is upto almost 500 flights a day from EWR and the flights overseas just keep launching. Barcelona, Cologne, and Copenhagan start in a few months. System wide growth next year approx. 6% per Larry.

BluDevAv8r said:
G4G5,

I have to disagree with you here. Just because AA "used" to do a lot of NY flying doesn't make it today's hometown airline. AA does some flying to FL, CA, and Europe from NY...but it does nowhere near the amount of O&D flying that Continental does from EWR. Simply put, CAL does the most flights (to the most destinations) to/from NYC of any airline in the NYC area (even if you add up AA's JFK/EWR/LGA presence).

As a Manhattanite I agree with part of your last statement however...there is definitely a reason why we don't charge to enter NJ...only NY. :D That said, EWR is incredibly accessible from NYC and its NJ address, in my opinion, does not deter it from being "NYC's Hometown Airline." Have you seen all of the ads in Manhattan lately?

-Neal

PS - Do you fly out of HPN? I learned to fly there and still fly GA out of there during my time off.

http://www.panynj.gov/

Go to any one of the airports and then go the the bottom where it says "about the airport" this will lead you to "traffic statistics"
If you check the traffic statistics at the Port Authority web site you will see that the difference between CAL and AMR (AA + Eagle) is not that great. CAL has AMR by around 15%. I bring this to your attention because with AMR's new JFK facility they have substantial growth possibilities at JFK. With the purchase of TWA they have substantial growth possbilites at LGA(C gates and slots). Even at at Newark the A section has available growth.

CAL's Newark C section will not support any where near that growth. Nor will EWR as an airport be able to handle additional capacity like JFK. Try to keep in mind that AA is operating limited capacity at JFK while construction continues. Simply put AA can't do the O&D until the construction is finished. The link shows a pictures of AA space:
http://www.aa.com/content/images/aboutUs/terminals/terminal_JFK.gif

In short, CAL has reached their growth limits, AMR has plenty of room.

As far as home town airline AMR still leads in LGA and JFK traffic. While some people in Manhattan prefer EWR, some do not. East side VS West, the air train helps the JFK traffic. The real disadvantage to EWR is that it does not cater to Long Island, Westchester or Connecticut.The bottom line is the their just is not the population or growth potential to the West of EWR, when compared to the traffic/population JFK/LGA has access to. I live on Long Island and work in HPN. No one I know is willing to travel to EWR (not as long as that speed bump called Manhattan & it's 8 million people are in the way). The same goes for the people I work with from CT.

Another thing to consider is EWR also loses traffic to PHL, traffic south of Newark, in the Trenton, Bucks County region has the option of going to PHL. CAL has gained a lot of that traffic from the misfortunes of USAir. Once the new USAir begins to take shape or SWA begins to grow at PHL, those people will return to PHL (it's a price driven market).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back