• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA's accepting Pilot Apps...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
could be the pay sucks, no retirement, dc9's are over 40 years old. looking good

Well, I think if the pay/retirement equation was ok, the DC-9s really wouldn't be a problem. I mean, how old are the 727's at UPS or FDX?

If the pay was right, I think most professionals would fly a 172 around the pattern all day, excepting those who have a bad case of SJS.

Nu

Know this:

1. YourPilotFriend is a bozo who knows nothing about the workings of the hiring process. He camps out at NATCO, the petri dish of rumors and other distracting toxins. Trust his "facts" at your peril.

2. Since two of the three people interviewing you for the job will be Active ALPA members, his claim of a "pro company" requirement (or "anti-union" bias) is complete and utter hooey. [I'll probably be conducting interviews again, and his non-union butt will not. 'Nuff said.]

3. The only reason you should consider applying at NWA is if you consider it better than your alternative(s). If you don't, it'd be a waste of your time. (If you disagree with either of those, you've got bigger issues in your world)

4. Anybody who believes they can predict where the industry, or any segment of the industry, will be in 5-, 10-, or 20-years is a moron. [Fair warning: If I ask you the "Where do you see the industry in 10-years?", I'll be trying to see if you're a moron.]

5. If your tummy gets squishy when things don't go exactly the way you really, really, REALLY expected them to go...race yourself to the nearest windowless cubicle and get to work on those QBR-10 reports. (They're due on Thrusdays!)

How long for a new hire before you can hold 330 F/O ?

What is the deal (flowthru) with Mesaba?

Know this:

Heyas,

You can trust Occam. He knows what he's talking about.

Whether or not you decide to apply at NWA, or what you think about the airline itself, the interview process was one of the most reasonable and professional I'd experienced.

The HR person was BELOVED by all who met her. Not something you can say about a lot of places. No waiting games. After phase 2, they let you know right on the spot. They treated you like a professional.

Compared to the UAL process at the time (1997), it was like night and day. The UAL process was like a an episode of "Punked".

Nu

Yo Occam,

Where you been dawg? Hangin at Nutco watching the Tim's and the Moron running around trying to distance themselves from the staffing issue:)

Hey Occam,

Good to see you joining the thread.

Thanks to all who gave good informative responses.

On the long range aircraft you actually get a "cruise captain" type rating. It isn't the same as a full regular old type rating. It acrually states cruise captain.

Wrong. All newely qualified F/O's get a FULL type. Existing F/O's not going through an initial get a cruise type during CQ.

Know this:

2. Since two of the three people interviewing you for the job will be Active ALPA members, his claim of a "pro company" requirement (or "anti-union" bias) is complete and utter hooey. [I'll probably be conducting interviews again, and his non-union butt will not. 'Nuff said.]

Please ask them after eyeballing them from head to to with the gunny look which woman's department they bought their suit at :cartman:

Yo Occam,

Where you been dawg? Hangin at Nutco watching the Tim's and the Moron running around trying to distance themselves from the staffing issue:)

We'll have a new Chief Pilot by the end of the week. I'll miss those insightful videos....NOT!

My guess is the Fleet Captain for the A320 will move up to Pete's office. He's a good guy, and will do well.

If I was a Spirit pilot, I'd be on the lookout for a a tailhook and a spiffy polo shirt! (Inside joke)

The Tim's have their hands full. The paper trail from ALPA that predicted the staffing woes will probably result in one of the Tim's seeking "leaving to pursue other opportunities".

(sigh)

Whether or not you decide to apply at NWA, or what you think about the airline itself, the interview process was one of the most reasonable and professional I'd experienced.

The HR person was BELOVED by all who met her. Not something you can say about a lot of places. No waiting games. After phase 2, they let you know right on the spot. They treated you like a professional.

Agree! Other than the goofy formulas the HR group used to rank pilots, Marie, Marlene, and Karen ran a very good process. When we'd make the "up or down" call after the interview, they'd always defer to the line dawg if the reasoning was sound (eg: "He laughed at the right times and didn't give us the canned answer. I could fly a trip with him without wanting to strangle him with the mic cord.")

Sadly, all 3 of them are gone. The gal who appears to be the next manager is very nice, and actually likes pilots!

Latest resources

Back