• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA's accepting Pilot Apps...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am extremely interested in NWA. Bash if you want, but I have grown up with NWA, with 3 of my family members flying for them, me working the ramp in the summer, and me doing an internship this summer.. Would it hurt me down the road if I was to apply now (way below mins) just to let them know that I am interested? (putting on my gear, ready for the attacks)
Your chances are very good of getting hired, but probably not quite yet. The minimums should drop by either the end of this year or sometime early next spring to allow direct entry for people in a bridge program who really want to work here.

Your chances are very good of getting hired, but probably not quite yet. The minimums should drop by either the end of this year or sometime early next spring to allow direct entry for people in a bridge program who really want to work here.

So what do you think the competitive mins are now with an internal rec?

Do you need an internal rec to get an interview?

Well, I'm certainly going to try to go there. Majors are better than regionals, period.

It's the senior Mesaba guys who are less likely to try to go there, as the pay losses would be too great for too long of a time. The exception to this would be the senior guys who are young enough to make their losses back over the long run.

As for the junior guys, there is absolutely no reason not to try. I would certainly hope to make NWA my final stop (unless, of course, I got furloughed, which is always a possibility anywhere).

For all the naysayers let me just say this: at the regionals, there is very little chance for any career progression. This is certainly the situation at Mesaba. All of the decent jobs (+50 seat jet captain) are held primarily by lifers. A junior guy can not expect to ever get there. Sure, we can reasonably expect Saab Captain, but that pay is so low it's not anything to look forward to. A 2nd or 3rd year NWA FO will beat Saab captain pay, so there is no loss in making the jump for a mid to junior Mesaba guy.

Yes, we all know that reputation of labor relations at NWA. Frankly, they are right in line with labor relations at several regionals (including, of course, Mesaba). NWA is still a better place to be, as we at least have a shot at a reasonable career progression there. Is there any guarantee of stability or job security? Of course not. The same can be said of Mesaba.

Do you need an internal rec to get an interview?

Heyas,

Traditionally, NWA has been one of the few places where knowing someone hasn't been a requirement.

In fact, during the last hiring go-around, they wouldn't even look at any letters until Phase 2 of the interview, and by then, the job was your's to lose anyway.

With that said, towards the end of 2000 and a small bit into 2001, they did set up a recommendation process, but only because they were having a fairly high number of people quit during the first year AND they were having people no-show or quit during class.

NWA has pretty much always been the backup place to work unless you were from Minnesota. Get hired, and if AMR or DAL called, you split. These days, it would be SWA or FDX, but the principal is the same.

I wouldn't expect to see LORs as any kind of requirement, and no mechanism for pilot recs has been announced.

Nu

Heyas,

Traditionally, NWA has been one of the few places where knowing someone hasn't been a requirement.

In fact, during the last hiring go-around, they wouldn't even look at any letters until Phase 2 of the interview, and by then, the job was your's to lose anyway.

With that said, towards the end of 2000 and a small bit into 2001, they did set up a recommendation process, but only because they were having a fairly high number of people quit during the first year AND they were having people no-show or quit during class.

NWA has pretty much always been the backup place to work unless you were from Minnesota. Get hired, and if AMR or DAL called, you split. These days, it would be SWA or FDX, but the principal is the same.

I wouldn't expect to see LORs as any kind of requirement, and no mechanism for pilot recs has been announced.

Nu

Thanks for the info.

I have to agree with him somewhat. Personally I would not move for a regional airline. The bases and contracts are too flexible to commit to. I would move for any major airline, because their bases are much less flexible. Could you imagine NWA closing MSP or DTW as crew bases?

Could you imagine Air Wisconsin closing PHL? never in a million years, it's like chicago.

Eastern and Pan Am have no crew bases

Latest resources

Back