Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA Tornado Landing Idiots still employed?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Catbird...you should not be criticising pilots with information based on a media report..what the "knowledgeable passengers saw out the side window, and what the NWA crew saw on their radar may have been two entirely different scenarios...fortunately nobody was more than frightened..quite sure it will be investigated thoroughly, and if any safety rules were breached it will be appropriately dealt with

It looks to me that as soon as they received the wild wind reports they abandoned the approach, why are they morons? :confused:

It felt like the pilot gunned the engines and used one of the updrafts to lift the plane, Timmerman said.
Someone made the comment that the breath of the Lord blew under the wing and got us out of there," he said. "I speculate that had we gone down it would have been into the terminal."

Sweet move using the updrafts and the breath of the Lord. Wish I knew how to do that!

It felt like the pilot gunned the engines and used one of the updrafts to lift the plane, Timmerman said.
Someone made the comment that the breath of the Lord blew under the wing and got us out of there," he said. "I speculate that had we gone down it would have been into the terminal."

Sweet move using the updrafts and the breath of the Lord. Wish I knew how to do that!

I have never been able to see the breath of the Lord, but I will pay better attention now. I have to agree that the approach probably should never have been attempted. It seems there is a training video of a MD80 going into I believe Little Rock with a similar situation tha didn't turn out so well.

They ended up on a low altitude route from MSP to FSD. They were in the clear the whole flight. They could see the airport and a plane departing and one arriving. They called the airport in sight and were handed off to tower. The tower gave them winds and that was the firsrt time they heard anything negative about weather on their route. Their briefing had the worst weather to the west.

When they deconstructed the whole event, I thought "wow, that could have been me." I never throw stones. Learn the facts and learn from the event.

Hang a crew based on an article in the McPaper? Come on, Catbird.

Even if air traffic controllers clear a plane for landing, the decision to land or go elsewhere lies with the pilots, said David Meyer, air traffic manager in Sioux Falls.

"The final decision for any instruction is the pilot's decision," Meyer said
Never ever forget that. Even when they're giving you sh!t about not accepting one of they're instructions.

BTW, it sounds like the NWA guys did a pretty dag-on good job. And as far as the Little Rock thing goes...at least they didn't come back and try it again.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back