Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PurpleTail

Is that RMB or USD???
Sorry, this post is a little self serving BUT what is the status of the possible NWA strike and negotiations?

Will it/could it really happen anytime soon? I have a ticket booked this Sunday/Monday for an international trip and was wondering if I should book with someone else and use NWA as my backup?

Thanks for the update and best of luck.

Latest MEC Hotline as of 1515 EST:

NEGOTIATIONS UPDATE (3/02/06)
The MEC Negotiating Committee continues to meet with NWA management
in New York. The Negotiations recessed at 1:00 a.m. and resumed
again at 8:00 a.m. this morning. There is nothing substantive to
report at this time. Negotiations remain intense and we will
communicate any new developments as soon as possible.

At 6:00 p.m. EST yesterday, ALPA and Northwest management attorneys
participated in a status conference call with Judge Allan Gropper.
Judge Gropper did not issue a ruling. ALPA does not know when
Judge Gropper will issue a decision. The extension of the 30 day
period for the Judge to issue a decision expired yesterday. Under
the law Northwest technically could implement its proposal pending
decision by the Judge, but ALPA does not expect the company to do
so absent advance notice.

Stenland has the NW pilots by the short hairs and both sides know it. ALPA will fold just like they did at US Air. Strike talk is just so much cheap bravado, and Stenland knows that.

Draginass said:
Stenland has the NW pilots by the short hairs and both sides know it.

How do you figure that ?

ALPA will fold just like they did at US Air. Strike talk is just so much cheap bravado, and Stenland knows that.

Although both carriers are represented by ALPA...... NWA ALPA is independent of, & quite different from USAir ALPA.

If mgmt has such an advantage & doesn't think we'll strike, why are they still negotiating ?

If mgmt has such an upper hand..... why haven't they imposed new work rules on ALPA ? (Legally, they can, since the 1113C deadine has passed).

Steenland is a first class a-hole, but he's not stupid. There is no doubt in my mind that we will walk if a POS contract is imposed on us. Steenland was here in 1998, & he probably thinks so too. He has a host of creditors breathing down his back that have already taken a haircut in this process, & want to recoup as many pennies on the dollar as possible.

320AV8R

Last edited:
In Steenlands mind, he's already won. He's used the bankruptcy process to free up millions in debt, the pilots have already taken 39% paycuts and he's replaced the mechanics. There is no doubt Steenland will back down if ALPA stands firm. NWA management just wants to see if they can get a few more bucks out of the pilots. They have already given up close to 50% percent of their pay, why not try and get more. Steenland has already gotten what he needed from the pilots to reorganize Northwest. Hopefully ALPA will finally stand firm. But the truth is, the Union has already lost the fight. The pilots paychecks tell the truth.

SEVEN said:
......the truth is, the Union has already lost the fight. The pilots paychecks tell the truth.

7-

You are correct. NWA ALPA has failed miserably....... we should have held out for a pay raise !!!!

Maybe they were distracted with the fact that:

--a majority of the US airline industry is experiencing the worst financial period since the beginning of aviation

--NWA is losing 3+ million dollars a day; & prior to the recent pay cuts we were among the highest paid in the industry

--fuel costs have increased over 50%, (not to mention the CRAC spread.... which has been further adversely influenced by diesel & natural gas), making fuel prices the highest they've ever been

--overcapacity has prevented any increase whatsoever in RASM..... fares are the same as they were over a decade ago, in real dollars

--NWA (& 30% of the industry) is in CH 11

--the new draconian wages were established previously at numerous carriers....& have become the new "standard"

--the current Administration is more anti-labor than any in recent memory

--the current NW mgmt is the vilest group of a-holes in the industry

I'm sure there are 4 or 5 more points I could make.... but I've gotta go e-mail my Reps. I'll tell them what f*ck-ups they are....... and that in this environment, we should be getting raises, stock options, 100% 401K matching, etc...

Thanks for the heads up.

320AV8R

Of course, it's all George Bush's fault. That explains everything. Wasn't American Airlines one of his biggest campaign contributors?

Latest resources

Back