Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ExAF

From the NWA MEC Hotline:
NWA informed ALPA today that it anticipates recalling pilots sooner than previously scheduled due to higher than anticipated flying levels. NWA said it plans on recalling 40 to 50 pilots for the remainder of 2006 and it expects recalls to continue at a reduced, but steady pace throughout 2007 to support growth and attrition. NWA will begin the recall process by sending out 75 Preliminary Notices of Recall (PNRs) this week and plans to have 20-25 pilots in training this October. As always, please remember that NWA’s staffing plan may change. Currently, there are about 700 Northwest pilots on furlough.

That sounds about right. Send out 75 PNRs and you might get 20-25 pilots to come back. Funny how this announcement comes the same day the Pilot Agreement is implemented. I guess pilots are cheap now so they can hire some back.

Has anyone read or heard about the winter flying increases planned for NWA? I read an artice on MSN money about NWA adding 43000 seats (total) from all of the hubs. Most of it out of MSP. This increase should result in about 284 additional flights, if I have done the math correctly. Wonder if their recall numbers included this expansion plan, because it appears NWA will have about 250 retirements in 2007?

I didn't really get out of that same article that most of the flying was going to be originating out of MSP... It sounded as it it was going to be system wide with mentions of ANC, DTW, MEM, and MSP. They also mentioned longer legs for the 75's for north Atlantic flying thus eluding to a BOS base.

Must be nice. Increased flying? What's that?

AA just announced its 3rd reduction in flying in a year and a half! Not to mention the fact that we've parked, or announced the parking of, 75 aircraft in less than two years.

I guess they have to adjust for all those retirements. Recall pilots to fill the void? Nah, that doesn't make sense.

Disgusted,

aa73 said:
Must be nice. Increased flying? What's that?

AA just announced its 3rd reduction in flying in a year and a half! Not to mention the fact that we've parked, or announced the parking of, 75 aircraft in less than two years.

I guess they have to adjust for all those retirements. Recall pilots to fill the void? Nah, that doesn't make sense.

Disgusted,

Heyas AA,

The staffing situation at NWA is much worse that it appears at first blush.

A part of the horrific agreement the well meaning, but misguided pilots ratified allows for the company to run the pref-bid system in the "zero open time" mode.

Previously, the PBS system at NWA was a godsend, allowing each pilot to craft his/her own unique schedule with complete command of what was and wasn't awarded. It worked SO well that bid satisfaction was north of the %95 range.

Now the same system is going to be used as a club. By invoking zero open time, the system will make awards as before, and then at the end, begin assigning flying so that NO open time remains at the end of the run. Up to half of each category will wind up with undesired flying on their schedule. They've even told pilots to expect flying at or near the maximum, even if you bid a minimum schedule.

To make matters worse, the only solution the negotiators can come up with is raising the "allowable" monthly max, thus rewarding managements plan even more by allowing fewer pilots to do more work, and keeping the furloughees out longer (this also circumvents the trip awarding process of PBS, which is another story altogether).

Nu

Return Rates Low

The MEC says it is possible that all pilots furloughed in 2005 or 2006 may be offered recall by the end of the year. Apparently they went through 125 on the furlough list to fill the training for DEC flying which was supposed to be 25 pilots. Who would want to go to training to fly that crappy contract over Christmas while severely undermanned?

In recent news,

Management sent out 100 recalls in hopes to get 20 in class for November.

At this rate, the furlough list will be exhausted in 6 months.

Nu

If I heard correctly, the furloughed pilots only have one opportunity to bypss and then they must take the next recall or face removal from the senority list???

Latest resources

Back