Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah...All about ME

I agree with you, the It's all about ME attitude is alive and well in NWA
No...Not really or maybe. You know the old saying, "Screw me once, shame on you, Screw me twice shame on me." After spending numerous years at the company that I thought was going to be my last job, I will have the wonderful opportunity to return AGAIN after the second furlough in a year to start all over at the entry level position (for the third time). The only difference is this time I will be making 40% less than the last time, working more hours, with less vacation, no retirement to speak of, and 1/2 pay for deadheading (which happens a lot on reserve) and working under the POS contract for the next 10 years. Rather than bitterly enduring a questionable future with the very real possibility of another furlough or even worse, flying for Compass, I choose to vote with my feet and move on to another company with a better track record and what I feel will be much better job security. I feel extremely fortunate to have that option since many of my friends don't. So you see, I don't HAVE MINE yet, and if leaving and making room for someone else to fulfill their dream at NWA makes it all about ME, then so be it. You are welcome to my spot. AMF! ;)

How many retirements are coming up at NWA? Is it similar to Cal where most of the airline will retire in the next 10 years or does NWA have a younger pilot group like UAL?

50% of NWA pilots are over 50.... 10 yrs half the list is gone unless the ret age is changed..

50% of NWA pilots are over 50.... 10 yrs half the list is gone unless the ret age is changed..
50% are gone next year after bankruptcy because you will make tons more money by retiring and getting a second job. On the bonus side you won't have to put up with NWA and you will be home every night.

50% are gone next year after bankruptcy because you will make tons more money by retiring and getting a second job. On the bonus side you won't have to put up with NWA and you will be home every night.

You keep saying that but when faced with making that decision, I don't think that all of the pilots will make that choice. Sure some will leave, But half the seniority list?
After spending numerous years at the company that I thought was going to be my last job, I will have the wonderful opportunity to return AGAIN after the second furlough in a year to start all over at the entry level position (for the third time). The only difference is this time I will be making 40% less than the last time, working more hours, with less vacation, no retirement to speak of, and 1/2 pay for deadheading (which happens a lot on reserve) and working under the POS contract for the next 10 years. Rather than bitterly enduring a questionable future with the very real possibility of another furlough or even worse, flying for Compass, I choose to vote with my feet and move on to another company with a better track record

Regrettably it is folks like you that I would like to see stay and try to build a great place to work for. But I don't blame you for trying to go to a more "unified" place.

Animal

I am not proud at all... I voted NO.... Our pay is shameful, that I KNOW!!! I posted those numbers to show another poster that he was not correct to say that senior SO's were making less than $75,000/yr. I was hired in '98 and I am at $80/hr-9th yr. Compare that to $118 two years ago, is pretty pathetic. Our (red book)negotiating guys fed us to the lions to save their pensions. They are laughing to the bank. I will do better with the PBGC benefit. I lost over 90% of my DB. Instead of getting $14,000 a month, I will receive a whopping $1,398/mo. I don't wish bad on others, but sometimes I wish Douggie and Gary dumped the pension on us... That would put a smile on my face!!!!!! That is the sad state of our once fun-to-go-to-work-for airline...

Jam-Bro,

I am sorry for what happened to you. Do you think it would be fair to include the furloughed guys too. At least you get 1300 bucks. What about the poor guys who were furloughed and get no longevity for pay or retirement.

I have heard some guys have been on furlough for 4 years, yet they come back at 1st year pay.

I think everyone "SOLD" eachother out. The senior dudes are going to laugh their way to the bank.

Cya

I just got off the NWA Alpa site and looks like they had to use the short notice recall provision to fill the Nov Class. Hire date of the last selected guy was 4-10-2000. That's about 300 notices for recall for 50 dudes to show. Another round of recalls should be coming next week. Does anyone know if the training foot print has changed much since the new contract came around? Used to be 6 weeks for the DC9.

Dude you are dreaming AND giving out false information. Is this what they are selling up at building A or N? Your faint hopes of someday "getting your number" are MUCH farther than what your program manager is selling you.

Repeat after me: "There is NO 880 million, there is NO 880 million". Even the coolaide drinking portion of the MEC says the best the group as a whole will see is about 88 million, or 10 cents on the dollar.

Nu

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back