• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FDJ2

AP
Northwest Pilots Authorize Strike
Tuesday February 28, 7:32 pm ET Northwest Pilots Authorize Strike if Airline Carries Out Threatened Pay-Cut and Work-Rule Changes

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- The pilots union at Northwest Airlines Corp. said Tuesday that its members have authorized a strike if the carrier imposes its threatened pay-cut and work-rule changes.

More than 92 percent of pilots voted in favor of authorizing a strike, said Wade Blaufuss, spokesman for the Northwest branch of the Air Line Pilots Association. He said more than 90 percent of Northwest's 4,851 eligible pilots voted.

Blaufuss spoke by phone from New York, where the union leadership is meeting amid talks with the airline.
The vote authorizes union leaders to call a strike, but doesn't guarantee that they will. The union has said it wouldn't strike unless Northwest imposes pay-cut and work rule changes. Wednesday is the earliest that could happen. That's the day that New York bankruptcy judge Allan Gropper is set to rule on the airline's request to reject its union contracts with pilots and flight attendants. Flight attendants have also threatened to strike, but their vote doesn't wrap up until March 6.

Tomorrow is the day as of last extension.

"What do you think now management?"

Time to cut the crap and lets get this thing done!

Baja.

FDJ2 said:
AP

More than 92 percent of pilots voted in favor of authorizing a strike, said Wade Blaufuss, spokesman for the Northwest branch of the Air Line Pilots Association. He said more than 90 percent of Northwest's 4,851 eligible pilots voted.

FDJ2,
That isn't a very good result if you ask me. In 1998, ASA had 98% in favor of striking with a 98% voter turn out. Mesaba just had a 98% vote in favor of striking. 90% voting with 92% voting in favor isn't very good. It also is a good indication of the DAL vote. The NWA pilots, aka Cobra pilots, are much more militant than the DAL pilots. This would indicate that a DAL vote will be even worse.

I don't understand why 9-10% of NWA pilots wouldn't vote.

Guess you're always gonna have that 5-10% that can't be bothered to make a stand and voice their opinion either way...

FDJ2 said:
AP
Northwest Pilots Authorize Strike
Tuesday February 28, 7:32 pm ET Northwest Pilots Authorize Strike if Airline Carries Out Threatened Pay-Cut and Work-Rule Changes

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- The pilots union at Northwest Airlines Corp. said Tuesday that its members have authorized a strike if the carrier imposes its threatened pay-cut and work-rule changes.

Blaufuss spoke by phone from New York, where the union leadership is meeting amid talks with the airline.
The vote authorizes union leaders to call a strike, but doesn't guarantee that they will. The union has said it wouldn't strike unless Northwest imposes pay-cut and work rule changes. Wednesday is the earliest that could happen. That's the day that New York bankruptcy judge Allan Gropper is set to rule on the airline's request to reject its union contracts with pilots and flight attendants. Flight attendants have also threatened to strike, but their vote doesn't wrap up until March 6.

Only time will tell.

BoilerUP said:
I don't understand why 9-10% of NWA pilots wouldn't vote.

Back during our last contract negotiations some pilots who were close to retirement abstained from voting. They didn't feel they should vote on a contract they wouldn't be living under. While not exactly analogous to this situation, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the senior guys withheld their vote aswell as some of the guys on SLOA.

JoeMerchant said:
FDJ2,
That isn't a very good result if you ask me.

I think it is very good and indicates the willingness of the NWA pilots to pull the trigger if it comes to that. My guess is that management will seek an extension tommorrow in order to avoid a strike.

As far as the DAL pilots, you have no basis for your conclusions. But don't fret about it too much, you'll get your answer soon enough.

JM and Boiler - you guys don't have a clue. 90% isn't that much? What a joke! You must have been really freeked out at the last Govt. election. I think the last memrat vote to the NWA guys btought in somehthing like 75% of elgible voters. I think 90% sned one heck of a message to the Mngt.

Good luck guys - let's put this behind us and get on with it!

Baja.

Latest resources

Back