• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA pilot arrested for packin' heat...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It turns out this guy has a CCW permit in Michigan. Since he was in the middle of a trip, that would indicate that he brought it out to NY with him on the plane.
Crews don't go through security in DTW.

This isn't going to bode well for ALPA's armed pilot thing. One more reason for the general public to think pilots are a bunch of moroms. Last night on the news a lady interviewed said "How do I know my pilot hasn't been drinking? I sure don't want him having a gun up there!". Hello, lady... HE'S ALREADY GOT YOUR LIFE IN HIS HANDS!!! HE DOESN'T NEED A GUN TO KILL YOU!!!
I guess that means they don't mind us being drunk while flying, just not drunk and armed.

What was this guy thinking?

originally posted by ifly4food [/i]

What was this guy thinking?
[/QUOTE]

That he wanted one of the furloughees back on the job!

Has anymore information been released this morning yet? I'm sure this will all come out in the investigation.. but some questions are?

Where did he originally report for Duty? DTW?

On the morning in LGA, was this the first time his bag was subject to screening, or had it passed through screening previous to LGA? I know he wasn't subject to screening in DTW, but was he on the second day of his sequence in LGA or was there previous days on the road after reporting for duty in DTW?

Did he specifically pack the gun in his overnight bag the night or day he reported for duty in DTW, or had the gun been in the bag for some length of time and had gone overlooked.

Not that it matters at this point, but was the fire arm it in a locked case? Or does this guy just throw the gun in there between his cloths?

I just GOTTA think this guy FORGOT it was in there. I'm also thinking he'd been in LGA before and KNEW he was subject to security screening, and with that in mind, he just MUST have forgot it was there, until he was pounced on.

I know he's facing federal charges. Will he also face NYS charges? IIRC he was in one of those NYC no-no areas, even for a licensed NYS ccw permit holder. So he could be in some deep dodo in NYS.

Glock

I like the .357 Sig, its a great round. Nice and fast. But.... I am a Glock fan. Glock 32.

I can't believe an airline pilot got caught with a freaking handgun in his bag.

Just a comment

I don't think its a good idea to be openly discussing what security procedures are at different airports. I know some might attack me for saying that, but this could lead to a very big change if it gets out what some airports do and don't do.

Re: Glock

I can't believe an airline pilot got caught with a freaking handgun in his bag. [/B]

It really is incredible....

I commented earlier on his potential trouble with New York State, and I called up my NYS contact...and this is what he has to look forward to:

MANDATORY 12 MONTHS IN RIKER, without a plea bargain.

Man, that's a lot of KY. I mean A LOT of KY!!!!

He's got to be thinking right now "...I am SO SCREWED...." Literally!

Re: Just a comment

Jiminmem said:
I don't think its a good idea to be openly discussing what security procedures are at different airports. I know some might attack me for saying that, but this could lead to a very big change if it gets out what some airports do and don't do.

Well Jiminmen, I guess if EVERYONE could keep this stuff in check, it would be good but that's not very practical to think it would happen. But when the Northwest pilot himself makes the statement that "he did not have to go though screening at the Detroit airport...." Well then, the cat's out of the bag.

BUT, this should make everyone feel better, now that CNN is reporting that it was ALL a mistake. THE GUN WAS LICENSED. Oh yeah, that makes complete sense. What a stupit freaking comment by this guys atty!!! IMO. NO $HIT it's a mistake. Good grief!

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A Northwest Airlines pilot arrested early Tuesday when authorities found a loaded gun in his bag at LaGuardia Airport has been released on his own recognizance as a judge set a February court date in the case.

Robert Donaldson, 43, who was carrying a 9 mm handgun, was scheduled to fly Flight 1191 to Detroit at 6 a.m., but the flight was canceled after the discovery.

Donaldson has been charged with criminal possession of a loaded gun. If convicted of the felony, he could face a maximum of 15 years in prison.

"It's clear that this is all a mistake. The gun is licensed. We're going to clear this up," said the pilot's attorney, Zachary Margulis-Ohnuma.

Donaldson has not yet entered a plea in the case and is due back in court February 11.

According to Queens Assistant District Attorney Cheryl Henderson, Donaldson said he had done some target shooting while in Michigan and had then placed the gun in his travel bag, forgetting about it.

Donaldson said he did not have to go through screening at the Detroit airport. The prosecutor's office did say that Donaldson had a permit to carry the gun in Michigan.

Transportation Security Administration (TSA) screeners found the gun about 5:45 a.m. and notified the Port Authority police, who made the arrest, authorities said.

TSA plug snip......

waoooooooooooooo

if it is not one thing its another,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

May be they need a class in common sense,or real world operations>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:confused:

The guy screwed the pooch. Too bad. The whole thing probably happened just like he said it did. He forgot he had the Brazilian copy of an Italian weapon in his bag. Even if he remembered he had it in LGA what should he do next? Can't ditch the gun - it's registered. Go to the friendly policeman and say, "Excuse me officer, but I just remembered that I have this loaded 9mm pistol in my carry-on bag?" I'm sure the nice cop would be very understanding. See if you can get it into the needle and drug amnesty box in the men's john? Drop it into someone's bag who looks like his name is Mohammed and call your wife and have her report it stolen? Hey! Wait a minute - maybe we're getting somewhere!

On the guns and caliber side of this discussion, I've been carrying a .45 since I left Vietnam. I have a Commander, a Gold Cup Trophy and a Glock 21. I like the Glock; it only has two safeties- one between your ears and the other in your trigger finger. I've seen first hand that you just can't beat the knock-down power of the venerable old .45 ACP.

GV

Latest resources

Back