NWA Mechanic's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
COpilot said:
I disagree, mechanice have a job skill that transfers much better across employment lines. Whereas airlpane pilots have a very narrow trade.

True statement. I really have no dog in this fight. I gave up on my airline career long time ago...I just watch for purely entertainment reasons.

So, in your infinite wisdom, pray tell what you think the mechanics should do? Or any of us should do in this industry? Bend over and roll over and bend over and roll over . . . . until there's nothing left? At least they have some balls. An actual strike may not happen . . . or may not have to happen.

Hey, don't blame me...I'm not the one who ran off to JetBlue as soon as possible. Besides what else is there to lose really at this point. I don't have an airline job and my life is pretty good here in the AFRE$. Without JB, SWA, Airtran, this whole union solidarity thing might work. However if the choice is cave and have a job or strike and lose the job permanently, which would you chose? I have told everyone I come across not to go into the aviation business commercial or military...Military pilots are going to be a thing of the past pretty soon at this point.

Get real...that whole livin' the dream thing is over. And it isn't coming back.

I can't believe this guy's in a Union. Glad you can't wait to meet and greet your scab mechanic.

Won't even have the opportunity to meet and greet any mechanics, union or otherwise.

My observations are objective...sorry if you don't like reality, but dreaming it a different way isn't going to change it.

SMMustang said:
. . .<snip>...Military pilots are going to be a thing of the past pretty soon at this point.. . <snip>.. . ..
Why is that? Are we surrendering to France??

klhoard said:
Why is that? Are we surrendering to France??
UAVs are the future. Why put a pilot in the cockpit. Did you see what happened in Yemen in Nov 02? That was a turning point in military aviation history.

I have said this before on here and I'll say it again. Everyone at NWA could work for free and it would not stop the losses. Period. The mechanincs could take concessions and pay NWA to ride the employee bus out of the lot on Ecorse, and the airline would still lose money. This was printed in their annual report.

As a banker told me, "I don't think I have ever seen a balance sheet as bad as NWAC's. And I've seen DAL's." Look at the corporate bond market. 45 cents on the dollar for a NWAC bond.

For a pilot to say that the AMFA is going to take down their employer....let's have us another crack at Econ 101.

Last edited:
sf3boy said:
I have said this before on here and I'll say it again. Everyone at NWA could work for free and it would not stop the losses. Period. The mechanincs could take concessions and pay NWA to ride the employee bus out of the lot on Ecorse, and the airline would still lose money. This was printed in their annual report.

As a banker told me, "I don't think I have ever seen a balance sheet as bad as NWAC's. And I've seen DAL's." Look at the corporate bond market. 45 cents on the dollar for a NWAC bond.

For a pilot to say that the AMFA is going to take down their employer....let's have us another crack at Econ 101.

The biggest question is why the fudge do people trip over each other to throw more money investing in airlines losing 3+ Bil per year. I can't think of any other private business that could even come close to that form of insanity.

Example: US Airways/Air Wisconsin

WTF... Rather than invest 125 mil why not wait for them to fold then take over their routes like the old days. Heck they are operating mainline size airplanes in the 146's it's not quite like when ACA went out on a branch

What is the answer to the whole industry mess. Government regulation?

1 - lift the Wright Amend.
2 - Get rid of all outside unions. (In House).
3 - Stop all gov't assistance to dead beat airlines.
4 - No bail out money, loans, etc.
5 - Get a business model for success and follow it.
6 - Pay a fair wage. No A,B,C,Z etc scales.
7 - Starting pay, 50K, 5K per year raise for ever, no matter what seat you sit in. (something like that anyway).
8 - Get the tentacles of all the leaches off the backs of airlines.
-Local airport tax
-Huge fees, taxes, surcharges etc.
9 - Have a professional pilots association that all ATP, COMM belong to if they want to work in the
US. The PPA would monitor crappy schools, dirt bag pilots, etc. NO PPA card, see ya. Maybe we could turn the collar white again.

Just a start, not an end all be all.

Latest resources

Back