NWA Mechanic's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
surplus1 said:
Your own view of self preservation has always taken precedence over union solidarity. When the pilots decide to walk, which they have done many times at NWA, they don't ask the mechanics if it's OK. They should not be surprised if the mechanics don't ask them.

As for whether the strike is foolish or not, remember this: No strike can ever take place unless management wants it to.

It isn't going to be a strike. It is going to be a lot less payroll for Mgt to deal with. Mgt wins big here. That'll be a whole lot of $ saved...I wonder what it'll add up to.

SMMustang said:
It isn't going to be a strike. It is going to be a lot less payroll for Mgt to deal with. Mgt wins big here. That'll be a whole lot of $ saved...I wonder what it'll add up to.

Simple, another bonus for DS and friends

replacements?

SMMustang said:

Yeah but someone's got to turn the wrenches. What's mgt's game plan? I doubt they will get nearly enough NWA line crossers to do the job, and probably next to none in the short term. Can any qualified mechanic start working right away for an airline, or do they have to be specific airline qualified like pilots? If so, that could take another few weeks or so for outsiders to line cross, even if they wanted to.

Not saying mgt won't allow the strike, as they very much might. But this is also looking more and more like an 11th hour deal in the making. Mgt wants 26% pay cuts and 1/3 or more furloughs. Union already offered 16% cuts with no furloughs. There could be room for some kind of middle ground. Either way, I don;t see a mech strike as a purely money/payroll saving move by mgt. But its been done before so who knows.

P38JLightning said:
Yeah but someone's got to turn the wrenches. What's mgt's game plan? I doubt they will get nearly enough NWA line crossers to do the job, and probably next to none in the short term. Can any qualified mechanic start working right away for an airline, or do they have to be specific airline qualified like pilots? If so, that could take another few weeks or so for outsiders to line cross, even if they wanted to.

Not saying mgt won't allow the strike, as they very much might. But this is also looking more and more like an 11th hour deal in the making. Mgt wants 26% pay cuts and 1/3 or more furloughs. Union already offered 16% cuts with no furloughs. There could be room for some kind of middle ground. Either way, I don;t see a mech strike as a purely money/payroll saving move by mgt. But its been done before so who knows.

They've been training the replacements for sometime now...some are furloughed NWA mechanics. 84% have over 5 years experience, 63% have over 10 years experience. AMFA is talking up the safety issue, but it doesn't have any teeth. Mgt wouldn't be training these guys unless they planned on using them. AMFA is a smaller union I think and is betting its entire existence on this strike. I don't see the union or the Mechanics surviving this one.

SMMustang-

RE: They've been training the replacements for sometime now...some are furloughed NWA mechanics. 84% have over 5 years experience, 63% have over 10 years experience. AMFA is talking up the safety issue, but it doesn't have any teeth.

Correct...a lot of them are furloughed NWA mechanics.

RE: Mgt wouldn't be training these guys unless they planned on using them.

Correct again. Most of NWA Management worked together years ago for a guy named Frank.....LORENZO. Replacing union mechanics with scabs would be Utopia for them.

RE: AMFA is a smaller union I think and is betting its entire existence on this strike. I don't see the union or the Mechanics surviving this one.

Three in a row. AMFA replaced the IAM and feels like it has something to prove. Trouble is, their "war chest" is $200,000....which ain't jack squat.....and their ultra militant AMFA brothers at UAL just caved and signed a concessionary contract. Smart money is on the Company coming out ahead on this one.

320AV8R

What I don't understand is how the rank and file can't see the writing on the wall? They've seen the furloughs, they know the company situation. How can they not see that the day they walk out they might as well start practicing, "Would you like a cart today?" because Wal-Mart greeter is in their immediate future if they do.

Really . . . man, you sound like someone I want on my side during contract time :mad: . . .

So, in your infinite wisdom, pray tell what you think the mechanics should do? Or any of us should do in this industry? Bend over and roll over and bend over and roll over . . . . until there's nothing left? At least they have some balls. An actual strike may not happen . . . or may not have to happen.

this industry is so messed up! I think all cost savings talks should be started with.......charge what a ticket costs (price of fuel goes up, so does a ticket) and management does not get bonuses when their is a loss, does not get a bonus to leave in disgrace, and does not get thousands of stock options for taking a company to bankrupcy)

The board members.....need to open their eyes.......

SMMustang said:
What I don't understand is how the rank and file can't see the writing on the wall? They've seen the furloughs, they know the company situation. How can they not see that the day they walk out they might as well start practicing, "Would you like a cart today?" because Wal-Mart greeter is in their immediate future if they do.

I can't believe this guy's in a Union. Glad you can't wait to meet and greet your scab mechanic.:(

SMMustang said:
How can they not see that the day they walk out they might as well start practicing, "Would you like a cart today?" .

I disagree, mechanice have a job skill that transfers much better across employment lines. Whereas airlpane pilots have a very narrow trade.

Latest resources

Back