Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
320AV8R said:
72-

It's based on an ALPA pay formula that involves aircraft weight, thrust, range, speed, engines, color it's painted, number of gay F/As, etc.........

Other non-ALPA carriers, like UPS, use a more basic pay scale.....I.E. a 10 year F/O makes $XX, irregardless of what aircraft is flown.

320AV8R

Thanks, all, for the "enlightenment." I still don't know why it HAS to be this complex... I guess that's what you get when you join ALPA. I'm in favor of the simpler pay scale that the IPA has at UPS... once again, an outsider looking in. My hopes and thoughts for the ones fighting this battle.... good luck... we're all counting on you.

Sorry Gremlin-

To help clarify the "enlightenment process," I really only answered the second part of your question. Why management's proposal had larger % cuts for DC-9s vs. 747-400s.

320Av8r addressed how the current pay rates were established. In reality, the equation's (based on weight, range, pax, payload, speed...) were reversed engineered to come up with a negotiated rate. Not as complicated as it sounds, but confusing enough to make one ask WTF.

NTS ALL 4 said:
Enlightening is about to begin...you already answered part of your question about the difference between B747 and its capacity compared to the DC9. Enlightening part 2: the DC9 has the same capacity of a regional jet and will be paid like a regional jet captain.

How's this for enlightenment. Capacity between the 747 and DC9 have nothing to do with payscales. 6 legs a day on a DC9 carries more capacity than a 1 leg 747. The only reason for higher pay on the 747 is because the senior pilots that run the union and negotiate contracts tend to fly the larger equipment......more days off per month. If you really believe that pay is determined by gross weight/revenue than 1) you're new to this business, or 2) you've been seriously brainwashed by the union machine.

drag said:
If you really believe that pay is determined by gross weight/revenue than 1) you're new to this business, or 2) you've been seriously brainwashed by the union machine.

Amen. The senior guys will make sure they are well taken care of. The junior guys can just lump it.

drag said:
If you really believe that pay is determined by gross weight/revenue than 1) you're new to this business, or 2) you've been seriously brainwashed by the union machine.

Drag-

A lot of us are not new, nor brainwashed. It's an ALPA thing: it's spelled out in the contract.

320AV8R

Last edited:
drag said:
NTS ALL 4 said:
How's this for enlightenment. Capacity between the 747 and DC9 have nothing to do with payscales. 6 legs a day on a DC9 carries more capacity than a 1 leg 747.

actually, you are wrong. First of all, in this industry revenue and costs are measured per seat mile. A DC-9 flying six legs out and back from DTW will still not produce as many seat miles as a 747 flying from DTW-NRT. Add to that, even though you carry many people during the day, you still only have the opportunity to kill 100 or so if you crash, vs the 300 or more that a 747 pilot could kill in a crash.

michael707767 said:
drag said:
actually, you are wrong. First of all, in this industry revenue and costs are measured per seat mile. A DC-9 flying six legs out and back from DTW will still not produce as many seat miles as a 747 flying from DTW-NRT. Add to that, even though you carry many people during the day, you still only have the opportunity to kill 100 or so if you crash, vs the 300 or more that a 747 pilot could kill in a crash.

So your paid on the opportunity to kill people?

xjlifer said:
michael707767 said:
So your paid on the opportunity to kill people?

I never said that. But now that it's brought up....never mind. By the way, maybe NWA 747 pilots should take the biggest cuts. After all, the 747 may generate the most revenue but it also bleeds the most. Maybe that's why Mirana and Goodyear AZ are full of them. Lets not forget Victorville, CA too.

I hope they don't get rid of the 747s. They are one of the last airlines flying them here and i want to fly one someday.

If I don't have to fly with gay F/A's should my hourly rate be higher or lower?

Has there been any rumor relating to NWA Cargo? Selling, spinning off, etc. What is its profitability relative to mainline. If it were separated what percentage of whale pilots would follow cargo?

Latest resources

Back