• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FDJ2

Yep, it's a slow news day

Delta’s red dresses don’t fit, Northwest union says

By Kelly Yamanouchi
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Friday, July 10, 2009

A Northwest Airlines union is protesting merger partner Delta Air Lines’ uniform policy that keeps flight attendants over size 18 from wearing Delta’s eye-catching signature red dress.

The red dress with a cinched waist is one of the work-wear options for Delta flight attendants, and it’s the type of uniform that makes flight attendants striding through airport concourses stand out.

“Red is a color that attracts attention and someone, somewhere has made a decision that they don’t want to attract attention to someone in a dress that’s larger than a size 18,” said Patricia Reller, vice-chair of the grievance committee at the flight attendants union’s executive council at Northwest. “I’m very offended by it.”

Atlanta-based Delta closed its deal to acquire Northwest last year, and Northwest flight attendants, pilots and customer service employees started wearing Delta uniforms about three months ago.

The Delta flight attendant and customer service agent uniforms, designed by Richard Tyler, were previewed during Fashion Week in New York in 2005 and debuted on flights in 2006. The designer focus of the Delta uniforms recalls an airline industry of decades past when passengers dressed up for flights and in-flight meals were commonplace.

The Association of Flight Attendants at Northwest filed grievances over the lack of availability of the red dress for females over size 18 and over a requirement that flight attendants who wear orthopedic shoes must wear slacks and not a skirt or dress. Those that wear the orthopedic shoes must obtain a doctor’s note.

Delta denied the grievances over the red dress and orthopedic shoes with slacks. The disputes are headed toward mediation.

“There are fuller-figured women who would like to wear the red dress,” Reller said. Others want to wear the orthopedic shoes with a skirt for a better look, she said.

Delta said its uniforms fall under its company policy and that most flight attendants from Northwest like the uniforms. Flight attendants can wear other pieces including slacks, tops and blue dresses in larger sizes.
“It’s a variety to fit a very diverse group of preferences and sizes, and to continue presenting a uniform collection that is both stylish and very functional,” said Delta spokeswoman Gina Laughlin.

Although the policies on the sizes of the red dress and the orthopedic shoes with slacks are not new at Delta, the flight attendants from Delta are not represented by a union. The merger with Northwest has brought the flight attendant union from that carrier, along with its grievance process, in contact with policies at the mostly non-union Delta. The Association of Flight Attendants hopes to unionize flight attendants at the combined Delta as the work forces from the two airlines merge, while an anti-union coalition of flight attendants from Delta has also formed.
Richard Tyler, who called the Delta uniforms “chic and glamorous” when they debuted, has participated in some of the flight attendants’ fit sessions to try on uniform pieces.

“This is Richard Tyler’s collection — he designed it, he knows it better than anyone,” Laughlin said. “So his perspective on how the pieces were meant to be worn, perhaps how the pieces could be best altered to fit someone — that’s invaluable perspective.”

The shouldn't let anyone over a Size 6 be a FA......

Want to wear the red dress? LOSE SOME WEIGHT, FATTY!

Some of ours are in denial though and got it.... looks like sausage with strings squeezing it....

Besides... size 18? the largest should be like size 10 for that dress....

LOL, that is awesome, and so true.

You know there are some sizes they did not make it in, thank god.

I am floored they got away with it.

“Red is a color that attracts attention and someone, somewhere has made a decision that they don’t want to attract attention to someone in a dress that’s larger than a size 18,”

And trust us on this, we dont't want you to draw attention if you are larger than a size 18

“I’m very offended by it.”

Probably not as offended as the passenger who sees a tub- o- lard waddling down the concourse!

Especially the older stews need to trim down and stop eating the twix bars they partially give out to pax. I don't think Richard Tyler wanted to see his designs transformed into a "potato sack." The FAA needs to give a checkride annually that makes each stew lift an overwing emergency exit door and place it on a seat by themselves. It probably weighs 30-40 lbs, and I bet a lot of them (and CRJ567) can't do it. They should also be made to walk down the aisles without touching both sides at the same time. Come on Randy Babbit!(new FAA chief and old ALPA Chair) Are you listening???

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Do you guys at Delta have size limits on the double breasted pilot blazers? Man, unless you're super fit that is NOT attractive! The last thing the public needs to see is some middle aged fatties with clogged arteries heading toward the cockpit to fly them.
EEK! I see a lot more unhealthy looking pilots out there than FAs, and I'll bet pax are more concerned about the consequences of THAT than the red dress (anti-union propaganda) "issue" your bosses are instigating at your airline.

Do you guys at Delta have size limits on the double breasted pilot blazers? Man, unless you're super fit that is NOT attractive! The last thing the public needs to see is some middle aged fatties with clogged arteries heading toward the cockpit to fly them.
EEK! I see a lot more unhealthy looking pilots out there than FAs, and I'll bet pax are more concerned about the consequences of THAT than the red dress (anti-union propaganda) "issue" your bosses are instigating at your airline.

You are incorrect. Most people, especially the "ladies" love the Navy Pilot or Russian Sub Commander uniform. Anyone who says different (like you) is probably gay (nothing really wrong with that) AND jealous. (you fit the bill perfectly)

OBTW, Mike Campbell says "Hi!!!"

Bye Bye--General Lee

No one likes to look at fat girls. Period.

A size 10 would be pushing it depending on whether the girl was fairly proportioned for her height.

Latest resources

Back