NWA FAs Cannot Strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
easydoesit said:
This is far from over. It will be appealed all the way to the Supreme Court. It will be spring before any of us at NwA or XJ get any closure. It must be kinda fun kmox, to sit on the sidelines and watch.

There are no sidelines when it comes to labor law. Every single American worker is negatively impacted by this disgusting BS. Every single American worker should be outraged right now, but so many are too busy talking about the latest "American Idol" or celebrity baby. Funny how that happens, huh?

There is nothing illegal with the entire FA group (or at least a large percentage) from tendering their resignations effective immedately, citing the legal restriction against self-help after the abrogation of the mutual collective bargaining agreement they had been working under. It being done on the same day would maximize the crippling effect on NWA, the huge publicity, and endless comparisions to Eastern.

I seriously doubt it would ever happen though, because at the end of the day everyone has bills to pay and a smaller paycheck is often better than unemployment. However, it would send a clear signal that they are unwilling to operate under the company-imposed workrules & payscale without a CBA.

BoilerUP said:
However, it would send a clear signal that they are unwilling to operate under the company-imposed workrules & payscale without a CBA.

But you said it earlier, people are not unwilling to work under these rules, they just don't want to. That difference is why the Union is posturing their strike instead of just walking away.

easydoesit said:
It must be kinda fun kmox, to sit on the sidelines and watch.

Fun? No. I have a lot of good friends and I know a lot of good people involved in this miscarriage of justice.

Even though I am no longer at XJ, this crap still pisses me off. It's a joke. It's a sham. And I hope the unions fight this all the way to the top and prevail.

I hope your comment was in jest, because if it wasn't, Fox Uniform.

Management is sitting there licking their chops. Total slap in the face for the work force. Unionized labor is and has been losing ground in the courts. Really a shame.

ReverseSensing said:
Here's the link to the ruling.

Page 90 discusses the reconciliation of Bankruptcy Law and RLA Law.

In a nutshell, according to this judge, labor has no right to disrupt the reorganization efforts of a company in bankruptcy.

If this becomes precedent, unions will be utterly powerless against a bankrupt carrier. The corporation will simply be able to dictate its terms, and as long as they are not arbitrary or bargain in bad faith, labor will be enjoined from doing anything about it. Sad.

That's interesting because with that ruling, why would any unionized business desire to NOT be in bankruptcy? It just seems like this makes it so a company in bankruptcy can impose any terms it wishes on the employees, and the employees have no recourse. That's amazingly disturbing.

We are not too far off from any strike being declared illegal.

I think Frontier should put your avatar on one of their tails.

If they can't strike, then simply "follow all the rules". Everyone remember the UAL "Summer of Love" in 2000? That mess is legendary. The Comair pilots were able to create quite a mess before they had to end up striking. And management can't use the courts to force the crews to violate the rules.

I think Frontier should put your avatar on one of their tails.

I'd love to see that, but I think you'd scare the passengers.

kmox29 said:
I think congress should also decree that Labor Day no longer exists and force everyone to come to work under some imposed work rules. They could call it "Management Day".

Maybe we haven't realized it... but every day we go to work it is management day.

How about we all get together and give our union leaders our letters of resignation. ALL of US. Then they can go negotiate terms...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back