Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kmox29

I'm open! I'm open!
A federal judge in New York today granted Northwest Airlines' request for an injunction to prohibit flight attendants from engaging in targeted strikes against the carrier.

U.S. District Judge Victor Marrero's decision comes three weeks after he temporarily barred flight attendants from going on strike. At that time, attendants were ready to begin a campaign of walkouts on selected flights.
The Association of Flight Attendants (AFA) has fought to preserve the right of flight attendants to strike because it would enhance the union's bargaining power at the negotiating table.

"We believe this decision is obviously an incorrect reading of the law and the rights of workers in the United States. We will appeal," David Borer, AFA general counsel, said in a statement.

Mollie Reiley, interim president of the Northwest flight attendants union, said, "Management and the courts can gang up on us but they cannot defeat us."
Flight attendants have rejected two tentative agreements with management of the bankrupt carrier that included deep concessions. Northwest imposed pay rates and work rules on the attendants July 31, the day the second deal was rejected.

Shortly before 10 a.m. today, Northwest released the following statement:
"Judge Marrero's decision to grant Northwest the injunction allows our customers to continue to book Northwest Airlines with confidence, knowing that we will get them to their destinations reliably."

The terms that Northwest imposed allowed it to achieve the $195 million in annual savings that it was seeking at the bargaining table. Union leaders said those changes amount to severe wage and benefit cuts of about 40 percent.
Before Northwest filed for bankruptcy a year ago, the union said that the average flight attendant was earning about $42,000 a year. That average annual pay has dropped to about $33,000.

U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Allan Gropper ruled Aug. 17 that federal labor law did not allow him to block a strike by Northwest attendants.
In his ruling today, Marrero reversed the Gropper decision.

"This is yet another example of how the legal system fails to protect working families," Reiley said. "The courts continue to cater to corporate America. But we have a warning for the executives at Northwest and across this country who think they can litigate greed: This fight isn't over."

Northwest flight attendants have been working under pay cuts for about 10 months. Their former union agreed to temporary pay cuts in November, and Northwest imposed its concessionary pay rates, benefits and work rules on July 31.

After today's legal development, it's unclear when the two parties will return to the bargaining table to negotiate a deal that attendants would approve.
In its statement, Northwest said, "While the court decision is reassuring to our customers, we remain committed to negotiating a consensual agreement with our flight attendants. We hope to accomplish that goal in the near future."

There are about 8,000 or so flight attendants at Northwest. Many have retired or resigned since the temporary wage cuts took effect almost a year ago. Northwest is in the process of recalling all 1,131 attendants who have been on furloughs.

Liz Fedor • 612-673-7709 • [email protected]

Unbelievable. So I guess bankruptcy law trumps RLA law.

Corporate self-help is acceptable. Labor self-help illegal.

What a crock.

I think congress should also decree that Labor Day no longer exists and force everyone to come to work under some imposed work rules. They could call it "Management Day".

Wow. If it weren't for the Mesaba Labor Coalition's small victory two days ago, I'll bet I could tell you what the Mesaba "Friday Bad News" would be... Even still, I'll bet this just expedited XJ's re-filing of the 1113c. Unreal how judges think they are God. They're just as corrupt as NWA management.

MM

This is far from over. It will be appealed all the way to the Supreme Court. It will be spring before any of us at NwA or XJ get any closure. It must be kinda fun kmox, to sit on the sidelines and watch.

Here's the link to the ruling.

Page 90 discusses the reconciliation of Bankruptcy Law and RLA Law.

In a nutshell, according to this judge, labor has no right to disrupt the reorganization efforts of a company in bankruptcy.

If this becomes precedent, unions will be utterly powerless against a bankrupt carrier. The corporation will simply be able to dictate its terms, and as long as they are not arbitrary or bargain in bad faith, labor will be enjoined from doing anything about it. Sad.

Management day: I love it. In fact, the way things are going, we call can this the MANAGEMENT MILLENIUM! More money to the greedy and rich: Huzzah, Huzzah!

Maybe it's a little extreme, but I think ALL union leaders need to get together and set a deadline. Either negotiate and spread the cost savings around (no golden parachutes for mgmt) or we stop working. One day of no flights throughout all union airlines ought to get their attention, not to mention airlines in good standing put the pressure on corrupt airline mgmt.
Anyone remember when the subway workers in New York did an illegal strike?? Somehow they got a deal...
Or we could just go back to the days when some people just disappeared.... Jimmy Hoffa? :)

easydoesit said:
It will be spring before any of us at NwA or XJ get any closure.

Don't say that... I'm hoping for furlough or CH13 long before that...

MM

W&BWiz said:
Maybe it's a little extreme, but I think ALL union leaders need to get together and set a deadline. Either negotiate and spread the cost savings around (no golden parachutes for mgmt) or we stop working. One day of no flights throughout all union airlines ought to get their attention, not to mention airlines in good standing put the pressure on corrupt airline mgmt.
Anyone remember when the subway workers in New York did an illegal strike?? Somehow they got a deal...
Or we could just go back to the days when some people just disappeared.... Jimmy Hoffa? :)

The Detroit school teachers also just prevailed in an "illegal" strike, as well.

Latest resources

Back