• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA F/A's reject offer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My understanding was the pilot contract would NOT go into effect until ALL labor groups on the property had settled with NWA? Anyone?

AA

AAflyer said:
My understanding was the pilot contract would NOT go into effect until ALL labor groups on the property had settled with NWA? Anyone?

AA

That is what they said at CAL as well, but it happened anyway.

AAflyer said:

AA

Yup, that's correct... And now things get really ugly....

That is correct as far as I know. I have also read that the company has already asked for early implementation on some items......And that was before the FA rejection of their contract.

And let the games begin......................

NW broke AMFA, and traditionally mechanics are viewed as harder to replace than FAs. Icahn broke the FAs at TWA in the 80s -- unless the pilots agree to give management some wiggle-room with the FAs (not that management necessarily wants the wiggle-room), NW may have no alternative but to break the FAs as well (is NW-ALPA ready to let the FAs take less in the way of givebacks?)

Point is, NW ALPA is a part of this jigsaw too, by virtue of the fact that management needs to get givebacks from everyone to get givebacks from anyone (including ALPA).

VC10, the difference at TWA was that the fleet was DRASTICALLY smaller and the perceived pay and benefits package MUCH better in that day and age. Replacing those flight attendants was relatively easy.

If all the NWA F/A's refuse and the judge implements the pay reductions the company is seeking and the majority of the F/A's walk, NWA will come to d*mn near a grinding halt and I can only IMAGINE what losing 50% of their daily completion factor for 2 or 3 months would do to their ability to obtain exit financing, much less generate enough income in bankruptcy to pay the rest of the bills they have to continue to pay (salaries, fuel, etc).

Dangerous game, but it IS nice to see someone has some balls.

Latest resources

Back