• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA DC-9's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Strange indeed!!! With an intact pension and golden years ahead, it amazes me that we have even one pilot who would rather be schlepping around airports than enjoying retirement. The difference in dollars between flying after sixty and retirement is negligible.

Some guys just have no life, I guess. Sad!!

They are waiting to see if there is an equity payout... IMO

Strange indeed!!! With an intact pension and golden years ahead, it amazes me that we have even one pilot who would rather be schlepping around airports than enjoying retirement. The difference in dollars between flying after sixty and retirement is negligible.

Some guys just have no life, I guess. Sad!!

Will this still be true once they are paid at the new delta rates?

Training rate unchanged due to (grrr!) returning 60+ year-olds coming back to A320/B757 captain seats.

I thought they were all retiring on schedule because all your older pilots have pensions. At least that's what your merger committee claims.;)

Regardless, good to see the MECs working together. The merger should breath new life into some of the 9s as RJ lift is consolidated.

I thought they were all retiring on schedule because all your older pilots have pensions. At least that's what your merger committee claims.;)

Regardless, good to see the MECs working together. The merger should breath new life into some of the 9s as RJ lift is consolidated.

They are waiting for the equity payout and then you will see a bubble of retirements IMHO.

I agree that is actually good to hear some good news for a change. I am also glad to see decent discussions for once as opposed to flame fests.

That seems a little far fetched to me.

What I was told was they have 800-ish RJ's now between the two and would like under 600. They are going to get out of as many 50-seaters as possible. There are some high density/frequency routes that the 50-seaters are flying now that are money losers and are also served by both DAL and NWA. They can put the 9's on those routes and make money. They did say they would like to replace them with 76-seaters, but when they figure in the lease payements on a new 76 seater vs. the paid of DC-9's, it makes absolutely no sense to get another new 76-seater. Until a viable 100-seat jet comes along (they said the 190 is too expensive and not capable of what they want to do with a 100-seat jet) they will use the 9's, 88's, and 90's to run those markets.

I also think they have their eyes on those 717's up in Milwaukee which we will own a small part of.

Training rate unchanged due to (grrr!) returning 60+ year-olds coming back to A320/B757 captain seats.

Strange.
Are these Second Officers? How many are coming back?

Guess it does not change the new hire situation, if they are vacating Second Officers slots, does it?

Last edited:
Are these Second Officers? How many are coming back?

Guess it does not change the new hire situation, if they are vacating Second Officers slots, does it?

The only think it changes for newhires is that a once 12 year position is now a newhire position. Newhires are line holders on the panel and newbs also are holding MSP panel.

Latest resources

Back