NWA/DAL what's the sentiment?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heyas Puff,

The DAL pilots may think the NWA guys got a "deal", but now that the real apples to apples comparason has been done, it's ok, but certainly not a "deal".

Backwards movement includes:
Deficient DC contribution ramp up
Retiree health coverage
Inferior health insurance at twice the cost
70 hour guarentee
re-introduction of junior manning
loss of premium pay over 80
backwards JS/JS booking/call-in-honest
loss of seniority list instructors
loss of training language

Sure, there's parity for the hourly rate, but that's really about it. When you add up the plusses and minuses, it's about a wash.

I know you Delta guys are hardover on the whole W2 issue, but at NWA, work rules matter, too. Alot of what you guys are claiming as an improvement, really isn't.

Certainly NOTHING worth giving up an inch on the SLI.

Nu

Voting yes:

1) Stronger airline with improved long-term security
2) More options for equipment and bases.
3) Increase Compensation
4) Equity
5) Increase 401 Contribution
6) Adios to Dougie and NWA EMT who coerced 400 million from the employees and called a retention necessity.

Overall, I think both airlines as well as both pilot groups are a good fit. Each bring negatives and positives but in the long term I think the new Delta will be a survivor and a great place to work.

Last edited:
ThisistheDream, Here are the numbers. Retiree numbers also listed earlier in this post.
Active emp
2 Attached
Premiums under the JCBA
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Employee Only [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Employee + Spouse [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Employee + Child [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Employee + Family [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Medical Options [/FONT][/FONT]
DPMP (network)
$182.00
$401.00
$315.00
$533.00
Gold HRA
$67.00
$145.00
$114.00
$191.00
Silver HRA
$26.00
$55.00
$43.00
$71.00
HSA
$41.00
$88.00
$69.00
$115.00
Health Plan Hawaii
$116.00
$255.20
$197.20
$336.00 2 Attached to this document is a chart that compares deductibles, co-pays and
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]2008 NWA Premiums [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Employee Only [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Employee + Spouse [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Employee + Child [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Employee + Family [/FONT][/FONT]
NWA BCBS
$90.66
$195.70
$154.72
$295.02
NWA Dental
$7.76
$14.98
$17.12
$23.76

When you first look at the Delta plans, they look horrible. That's because they are essentially health savings plans vs the traditional PPO or HMO most of us are used to. So the way the benefits are described is different.

I was shocked as well when I first saw it. But then when it was explained to me better, it made much more sense. It's not perfect and it might not be as good as NWA has (I don't know your plans) but it's not as bad as you think it is.

Now, the DPMP is a joke. I'm not sure who or why someone would sign up for that. For myself and my son (my wife has her own through work) it's way to expensive. But the Gold or Silver HRA are fairly competitive. Remember too that DAL puts money into that account each year. I thought it was $1,000 but in another post someone said it was $1,500. Anyway, that money is yours and if you don't use it, it rolls over to the next year.

I know it's a pain, but please look at the HRA and HSA plans carefully before you shoot it down. You might be surprised.

When you first look at the Delta plans, they look horrible. That's because they are essentially health savings plans vs the traditional PPO or HMO most of us are used to. So the way the benefits are described is different.

I was shocked as well when I first saw it. But then when it was explained to me better, it made much more sense. It's not perfect and it might not be as good as NWA has (I don't know your plans) but it's not as bad as you think it is.

Now, the DPMP is a joke. I'm not sure who or why someone would sign up for that. For myself and my son (my wife has her own through work) it's way to expensive. But the Gold or Silver HRA are fairly competitive. Remember too that DAL puts money into that account each year. I thought it was $1,000 but in another post someone said it was $1,500. Anyway, that money is yours and if you don't use it, it rolls over to the next year.

I know it's a pain, but please look at the HRA and HSA plans carefully before you shoot it down. You might be surprised.
I saw that too when I first looked at the health insurance brochure they made available to us. The Gold or Silver premiums are much better, but those plans come with very high deductibles. However, I too saw the part about the employer contribution to the Health Reimbursement Account (HRA). I'm still a bit confused about it though. If DAL puts in $1500 dollars, and that account is automatically debited as you incur charges that go towards your deductible, doesn't that mean, in effect, that you really have no deductible or at least no deductible that you have to spend your own money on?

NWA folks have a year and a half before we have to consider the DAL plans so I'm sure it will become clearer by then.

No. The 1500 dollars goes towards your first 1500 dollars that would be out of your pocket. Then you have to pay the rest up to the family max. 3000K if I understand correctly.

CLASS is what NWA left 5 years ago. NWA actually owned CLASS at one point, but moved on.

Our new system has those features and more.

It was a huge leap forward. Going back to CLASS is 3 steps backwards.

Not impressed.

Nu

Well Im no kool aid drinker but I can tell you what will happen. Vote No and you'll get this anyway.
We all will....

The DPMP use to be a good thing and now it's, yeah a big joke.
I'm told the reason for steep premiums is to phase it out. I ran all sorts of scenarios and the DPMP just does not pan out. No matter how you run the numbers DPMP ends up being 2 to 3 times the cost.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back