• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA/DAL solving the seniority issue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Better for the membership, yes. But the political angels of each MEC's nature may whisper: "Better a horrible deal blamed on the arbitrator than a semi-horrible deal blamed on us." :bomb:

What are a MEC's options for removing, replacing, neutering a merger committee and it's members when they are unwilling to put themselves on the line? Seems to me that when you volunteer for the position you know some hard, unpopular decisions will come with the territory. In fact, no matter what you come up with most will be pissed. If your plan is arbitration you haven't done your job, in my opinion. It'd be like me doing an autoland on every approach (many think I should) because I really don't want to be responsible for the landing.

No one's convinced me that a merger will be in our best interests but if it's going to happen anyway, we may as well benefit. Do we get the contract benefits from an arbitrated settlement? I've heard any negotiated deal will be put to a vote on both sides. No one wants to put something out there that people will vote down but in an arbitrated settlement we have no idea what we'll get and no one gets to vote (unless you count trying to leave ALPA as a vote), which is a huge reason the DL guys are against it.

Last edited:
What are a MEC's options for removing, replacing, neutering a merger committee and it's members when they are unwilling to put themselves on the line? Seems to me that when you volunteer for the position you know some hard, unpopular decisions will come with the territory. In fact, no matter what you come up with most will be pissed. If your plan is arbitration you haven't done your job, in my opinion. It'd be like me doing an autoland on every approach (many think I should) because I really don't want to be responsible for the landing.

No one's convinced me that a merger will be in our best interests but if it's going to happen anyway, we may as well benefit. Do we get the contract benefits from an arbitrated settlement? I've heard any negotiated deal will be put to a vote on both sides. No one wants to put something out there that people will vote down but in an arbitrated settlement we have no idea what we'll get and no one gets to vote (unless you count trying to leave ALPA as a vote), which is a huge reason the DL guys are against it.

Great post Noserider.

To answer your question keep in mind that the most senior (read most influential) pilots have control of this deal.

At NW that means the infamous '400 club' whom usually don't know whether we have guys on furlough or not. Real 'out of touch with the common man (pilot)' bunch.

Last edited:
Great post Noserider.

To answer your question keep in mind that the most senior (read most influential) pilots have control of this deal.

At NW that means the infamous '400 club' whom usually don't know whether we have guys on furlough or not. Real 'out of touch with the common man (pilot)' bunch.

We got rid of a lot of guys like that with the threat of losing the pensions. Tom Goodman PROBABLY was NOT one of those types, but there were plenty of them in the 2000 or so guys that left.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Disclaimer:

Heyas Occam,

Not to contradict the teacher, but it's my understanding from my rep that there is NO proposal, thus nothing to be voted on.. none, blank, goose egg, nadir, naught, nil, nix, nothing, nullity, oblivion, ought, void, zero, zilch, zip, zot, {empty}.

I could be wrong, but I think if it's going to happen, it's going to be forced.

Nu

Heyas Occam,

Not to contradict the teacher, but it's my understanding from my rep that there is NO proposal, thus nothing to be voted on.. none, blank, goose egg, nadir, naught, nil, nix, nothing, nullity, oblivion, ought, void, zero, zilch, zip, zot, {empty}.

I could be wrong, but I think if it's going to happen, it's going to be forced.

Nu

Ditto on this side of the fence.

At Delta, the merger Committee was a junior/mid level Captain and 2 FO's, wasn't it?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back