• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA/DAL negotiations update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's about the efficient use of the fleets, people and routes. That's where the money is and that's why we'll get a joint contract.
Yes and let me add a tidbit that just came together in some data (that one of the smarter folks I know sent me, I can't take credit for his work).

NWA's fleet utilization is much lower than Delta's. Comparing Apples to Apples, DL's 757 operate on average 13.2 block per day. NWA's number is 9.7. DL's MD88's go 11.1 while the average DC9 is less than 7.5.

I've wondered how Delta parked so many jets and still kept block hours. The answer was hugely increased utilization - apparently a factor in efficiency that remains untapped at NWA. If my read on this data is correct, no wonder the NWA fleet could take a whack job on the -9's and still need more pilots to fly 30% more block hours on the rest of the fleet.

I do not know that a SLI is necessary to get the short term gain on NWA's fleet. This looks like a scheduling and market issue more than whether Occam can teach me to fly an airplane. But, Occam may have Superpilot 92 in a class real soon.

Delta's 777's and 737 orders make good sense. Looking at the numbers they make even better sense to backfill some of NWA's jets that have uncompetitive performance (the 742's, DC9-30's and 40's). By delaying a SLI, the NWA MEC is playing a game of Chicken. They surely have the numbers and have to know what CASM of 11.1 cents per mile mean in a market of similar aircraft with costs in the 5.5 CASM range means.

In balance, the blue skies on the horizon for NWA are found in the relatively low utilization numbers on NWA's 757-200's and A319/320s.

P.S. The 757-300 is the most efficient jet in the fleet and it is a NWA jet. Wonder if we could find more 757's anywhere :)

Last edited:
I do not know that a SLI is necessary to get the short term gain on NWA's fleet. This looks like a scheduling and market issue more than whether Occam can teach me to fly an airplane. But, Occam may have Superpilot 92 in a class real soon.

First, its important in the near term to get the SLI done so we can move forward as 1 pilot group. Keeping us separate does nothing but further pin us against one another. On the bus comment, I can hold the bus now but i dont want to bid it because of the seat lock i would incur. Hopefully we will know more later this week if we can knock out a joint contract. We shall see.

Last edited:
First, its important in the near term to get the SLI done so we can move forward as 1 pilot group. Keeping us separate does nothing but further pin us against one another. On the bus comment, I can hold the bus now but i dont want to bid it because of the seat lock i would incur. Hopefully we will know more later this week if we can knock out a joint contract. We shall see.
You will not have a seat lock in a displacement. If you are waiting for a 777, 767, 757 or 737 type, on your ticket, your head work is excellent.

Immediate NWA pilot parity is expected less would not be ratified.

You probably will not find many junior Delta guys who are looking forward to SLI, despite the fact we know it needs to happen. I just hope there is good news hidden in NWA's low fleet utilization numbers.

Last edited:
You probably will not find many junior Delta guys who are looking forward to SLI, despite the fact we know it needs to happen. I just hope there is good news hidden in NWA's low fleet utilization numbers.

Good points with utilization. Also the DC-9 coming on the Delta property and then retiring won't be as bad as it may appear. Displacements from the DC-9 to other positions is something junior NWA pilots are bearing the brunt of now and through the rest of 2008. By time the DC-9 shows up at Delta the fleet will be small, around fifty aircraft with probably less than 400 pilots.

Good points with utilization. Also the DC-9 coming on the Delta property and then retiring won't be as bad as it may appear. Displacements from the DC-9 to other positions is something junior NWA pilots are bearing the brunt of now and through the rest of 2008. By time the DC-9 shows up at Delta the fleet will be small, around fifty aircraft with probably less than 400 pilots.

Well, I still would like to be Superpilot 92's Captain on that -9. We would have a BLAST in Minot, Flint, and Lansing. Heck, I bet we could "rip the town a new one" in Grand Forks, and watch out Sioux Falls! Me and Super92, we will be KICKIN some Arse!!!! We'll show YOU---FARGO!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Displacements from the DC-9 to other positions is something junior NWA pilots are bearing the brunt of now and through the rest of 2008. By time the DC-9 shows up at Delta the fleet will be small, around fifty aircraft with probably less than 400 pilots.

Fleet Plan memo from the VP Flight Ops April 3, 2008 says 58 aircraft and 630 (300 Capt/330 FO) pilots by end of 08'

I thought, according to you guys, "LOA 19 will never go into effect because it will be superceded by a joint contract."

Who said that?

LOA 19 is just a side letter of agreement. Hopefully it will be superceded by a joint contract, but that's not guaranteed.

Sounds like you're no longer saying that. Sounds more like you're saying LOA 19 will go into effect at DCC to give Delta pilots a raise while NWA pilots wait around for the jointly negotiated contract to kick in sometime down the road.

Sounds a little like "harmonization" to me.

Delta pilots make more than NWA pilots even without LOA 19. LOA 19 is not a joint contract. With or with out LOA 19 Delta pilots make more than NWA pilots. Only a mutually beneficial joint contract would resolve that issue. Nothing new there.

You needed to be brought up to Delta pay from the beginning. Harmonized or not. The overwhelming majority of joint negotiating leverage will be used to bring you to parity.

Hopefully this is not the first time you've considered this, or been told this, but there is no guarantee we'll get a joint contract soon or that you'll be brought up to parity on day one. There is even no guarantee that the harmonization schedule that was offered by management in April will be available in June. We might all want it, but it may not happen. Hopefully it will, and we'll get it ASAP, but there is no guarantee.

Last edited:
As you and ual used our hard earned pay raises from our strike in 98 as a springboard to uals 2000 contract and your 2001 rates, you should understand pay rates come and go. However seniority is forever. A fair sli is our concern. If oil continues its relentless rise and our recession deepens, your loa19 rates will never come to fruition before the paycuts come. There is a better than 50/50 chance that the payrates of the combined airline will be equal to or less than our current rates.

Delta pilots make more than NWA pilots even without LOA 19. LOA 19 is not a joint contract. With or with out LOA 19 Delta pilots make more than NWA pilots. Only a mutually beneficial joint contract would resolve that issue. Nothing new there.

You needed to be brought up to Delta pay from the beginning. Harmonized or not. The overwhelming majority of joint negotiating leverage will be used to bring you to parity.

Hopefully this is not the first time you've considered this, or been told this, but there is no guarantee we'll get a joint contract soon or that you'll be brought up to parity on day one. There is even no guarantee that the harmonization schedule that was offered by management in April will be available in June. We might all want it, but it may not happen. Hopefully it will, and we'll get it ASAP, but there is no guarantee.

As you and ual used our hard earned pay raises from our strike in 98 as a springboard to uals 2000 contract and your 2001 rates, you should understand pay rates come and go. However seniority is forever. A fair sli is our concern. If oil continues its relentless rise and our recession deepens, your loa19 rates will never come to fruition before the paycuts come. There is a better than 50/50 chance that the payrates of the combined airline will be equal to or less than our current rates.

First don't work for either carrier (DAL or NWA), but Cobra, you are absolutely right. Payrates/raises can come and go, but 'seniority' cannot be sold, unless You Give It Away.

And, seniority will be the most important thing going forward, for both sides. With oil at $120-140/bbl (or higher), and a looming recession, slowing of passenger travel, including Int'l travel (recent study showed First/Business class travel to Europe is down 4-5% in the first 4 mths of this year); with all of this taken into account, do you really think the New DAL (post merger) will operate a 750+ mainline a/c fleet???

Do you really think so??

New a/c deliveries can come, but merely replace older a/c that are retired, or worse yet, one new a/c and 2 older retired.

NEVER give ANY on Seniority!! A pay raise is nice, but seniority determines whether you have a job tomorrow, or next year.

For what its worth.

First don't work for either carrier (DAL or NWA), but Cobra, you are absolutely right. Payrates/raises can come and go, but 'seniority' cannot be sold, unless You Give It Away.

And, seniority will be the most important thing going forward, for both sides. With oil at $120-140/bbl (or higher), and a looming recession, slowing of passenger travel, including Int'l travel (recent study showed First/Business class travel to Europe is down 4-5% in the first 4 mths of this year); with all of this taken into account, do you really think the New DAL (post merger) will operate a 750+ mainline a/c fleet???

Do you really think so??

New a/c deliveries can come, but merely replace older a/c that are retired, or worse yet, one new a/c and 2 older retired.

NEVER give ANY on Seniority!! A pay raise is nice, but seniority determines whether you have a job tomorrow, or next year.

For what its worth.

That's exactly what the USAir Easties thought, and then they got RELATIVE SENIORITY.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back