• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA/DAL Merger may go ahead dispite pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You should also account for the fact that 747 SO isn't the most junior position and it pays about what 757 FO pays.

Do you want to integrate via pay rates or position? Be consistent.

I can assure you the DAL pilots would prefer via pay rates. 516 DAL F/O positions pay more than NWA DC-9 Captain. Should we slot NWA DC-9 Captains behind DAL 777 and 767-400 F/Os? The real kicker in pay rate integration is when we slot in all the DAL M88 f/Os with the NWA 757 F/Os and then staple the rest of the NWA narrow bodied F/Os. Do you really want to go down the road of slotting by pay rates and not positions?

Last edited:
I am surprised I haven't yet heard of the skin cancer attrition argument on this thread. We all know that DALs Southern based living pilots enjoy the sun much more than the icebox pilots of NWA who rarely see the sun, except between July 23 and August 9 every year.
With skin cancer being the 5th biggest cancer killer every year and knowing that people who play in the sun (Buckheadeans) are more susceptible to skin cancer every year, it stands to reason that DAL pilots will have a greater rate of attrition due to loss of medical or death from skin cancer than their NWA ice fishing counterparts. Although you could make the case that more NWA pilots lose their lives every year (than DAL pilots) from falling through the ice while fishing on Lake Minnetonka.
Of course, General Lee may need his upgrade sooner rather than later as he'll suffer from debilitating carpal tunnel syndrome as he approaches 15,000 posts and will lose his medical. Then again, maybe he simply dictates all his FI posts to his wife.

I wonder if both MECs have considered these variables.

Last edited:
Do you want to integrate via pay rates or position? Be consistent.

I can assure you the DAL pilots would prefer via pay rates. 516 DAL F/O positions pay more than NWA DC-9 Captain. Should we slot NWA DC-9 Captains behind DAL 777 and 767-400 F/Os? The real kicker in pay rate integration is when we slot in all the DAL M88 f/Os with the NWA 757 F/Os and then staple the rest of the NWA narrow bodied F/Os. Do you really want to go down the road of slotting by pay rates and not positions?
DAL has 516 777 F/O's? That IS a heck of a staffing formula you got there.

NWA DC9 CA = $126
DAL 767400FO=$123

Last edited:
DAL has 516 777 F/O's? That IS a heck of a staffing formula you got there.

NWA DC9 CA = $126
DAL 767400FO=$123

Ooops my bad 206 777 first officers at 130/hr and 310 767-400 first officers at $123/hr + 9% DC plan contribution + 2% 401K contribution + $3/hr international override. I'm not sure what DC, 401K contributions and international over ride a NWA DC-9 captain gets.

DAL 767-400 F/O: $126/hr

NWA 747-400 F/O $122/hr
NWA 747-200 F/O $116/hr
NWA A330 F/O $110/hr

etc.

Any way you look at it an integration methodology which takes pay rates into consideration would favor the DAL pilots more than just looking at position held in comparable categories.

As a good faith concession to the NWA pilots I think it's best to just look at positions each pilot group brings to the table. Starting at wide bodied captain and ending with second officers.

Last edited:
I am surprised I haven't yet heard of the skin cancer attrition argument on this thread. We all know that DALs Southern based living pilots enjoy the sun much more than the icebox pilots of NWA who rarely see the sun, except between July 23 and August 9 every year.
With skin cancer being the 5th biggest cancer killer every year and knowing that people who play in the sun (Buckheadeans) are more susceptible to skin cancer every year, it stands to reason that DAL pilots will have a greater rate of attrition due to loss of medical or death from skin cancer than their NWA ice fishing counterparts. Although you could make the case that more NWA pilots lose their lives every year (than DAL pilots) from falling through the ice while fishing on Lake Minnetonka.
Of course, General Lee may need his upgrade sooner rather than later as he'll suffer from debilitating carpal tunnel syndrome as he approaches 15,000 posts and will lose his medical. Then again, maybe he simply dictates all his FI posts to his wife.

I wonder if both MECs have considered these variables.

Not to mention the DAL pilot mortalities from Waffle House intake after late night sim sessions on Virginia Ave. (that is intake of 2nd hand smoke and the counterfeit food they serve)

Ooops my bad 206 777 first officers at 130/hr and 310 767-400 first officers at $123/hr + 9% DC plan contribution + 2% 401K contribution + $3/hr international override. I'm not sure what DC, 401K contributions and international over ride a NWA DC-9 captain gets.

DAL 767-400 F/O: $126/hr

NWA 747-400 F/O $122/hr
NWA 747-200 F/O $116/hr
NWA A330 F/O $110/hr

etc.
FO International override is $3.88/hr at NWA. The targeted DC plan at NWA has been discussed a lot here. 0% for full A-plan types, as much as 20%+ for some low A-plan types. If we are gonna get picky, and consider paltry things like international overide, then we would have to factor in the DC-9 CA getting $189/hr for every hour over 80 (average lines are around 85 hours credit now);)

FO International override is $3.88/hr at NWA. The targeted DC plan at NWA has been discussed a lot here. 0% for full A-plan types, as much as 20%+ for some low A-plan types. If we are gonna get picky, and consider paltry things like international overide, then we would have to factor in the DC-9 CA getting $189/hr for every hour over 80 (average lines are around 85 hours credit now);)

Average lines are 85 hours, is that something to be proud of?

We can also consider DAL green slips and inverse asignments, where does it end?

Regardless, I'm not the one who wanted to interject pay rates of second officers into the discussion. Anyway you cut it DAL pilots would fair much better if the integration were based on pay rates than if it were based on what positions were brought to the merger. What positions are brought to the merger is probably a good compromise. Start with wide bodied captains and end with second officers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back