NWA/DAL/Hat?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How true.

Well, I'll continue to enjoy the "good life" on the glorious -9 till the furlough notice arrives.

On another note. A little unscientific pilots/aircraft using the fleets and total pilots from APC.

1. swa=10.6
2. aai=11.8
3. aa=12.9 (this was a shocker)
4. lcc=13.5
5. cal=13.6
6. alk=13.8
7. nwa=14.5
8. jblu=14.9(another shocker)
9. ual&dal=16.3

Discuss.
Break that up into narrow-body and wide-body and it will make more sense. NWA has about 2010 narrow-body pilots and 222 narrow-body aircraft. So it's really 9 pilots per plane on the narrow body.

That makes sense. I know they over staff the wide bodies by quite a bit, just didn't see those numbers adding up the -9 or 320 side.

On another note. A little unscientific pilots/aircraft using the fleets and total pilots from APC.

1. swa=10.6
2. aai=11.8
4. lcc=13.5
5. cal=13.6
6. alk=13.8
7. nwa=14.5
9. ual&dal=16.3

Discuss.

I'd say a sidenote on the numbers would be that most lists still have the guys on furlough/mil leave etc... and that might screw with the #s a bit.

I think if you factor in all the seniority list instructors, NWA numbers are much lower. Couple years ago NWA was just below SWA.

Hats?

HATS are important?

Whoa! All this Big Picture stuff is making me a little woozy...

You are right, but evidently, wearing a hat is a huge deal to some folks..even ones at DAL. I just wear the g*d d*mn hat. BIG DEAL. The company says so..the regs say so....it doesn't give me spinal problems...so I wear it.

And as far as the uniform.....lots of customers comment on it all the time. It's not going
anywhere...

But hey....the AF leaders are just like the execs in the airline industry...change the uniform for the sake of change....so DALs uniform is not half as bad as the new "retro-former-Soviet-Block-AF-Dress-uniform".......

http://mcnabb.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/male_bm1_1.jpg

back to that SLI now in progress.........

Last edited:

1. swa=10.6
2. aai=11.8
4. lcc=13.5
5. cal=13.6
6. alk=13.8
7. nwa=14.5
9. ual&dal=16.3

Discuss.

Those numbers don't mean very much all by themselves.

Other factors to consider are
aircraft utilization in hours/day
revenue generation per trip, etc.

For example (hypothetical):

Airline owns 1 plane.
The plane flies 1 hour each day.
4 pilots are on payroll.

pilots/aircraft = 4
pilots/flight hour = 4

wow that's really a good number (sarcasm)

Same airline, still one plane.
Plane flies 20 hours every day
10 pilots are on payroll

pilots/aircraft = 10
pilots/flight hour = 5

Also to consider:
A cargo company with lot's of revenue per flight can have the plane sit idle most of the day, the profit margin/leg is very high.

A passenger operator with a low margin/leg will have to utilize the aircraft more to increase profits.

In this day and age crew cost isn't the big factor it once was.

By increasing pilot ranks the aircraft utilization rate can be pushed up thus generating more revenue.

Cheers
George

But hey....the AF leaders are just like the execs in the airline industry...change the uniform for the sake of change....so DALs uniform is not half as bad as the new "retro-former-Soviet-Block-AF-Dress-uniform".......

http://mcnabb.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/male_bm1_1.jpg

back to that SLI now in progress.........

Are they seriously changing from the blues to that? WTF? Do you have to do the communist high kick march when you march in those as well?

The DAL uniform is by far(t) the sharpest uniform out there. They gotta ditch the leather jackets at least, thats for sure... something about a black leather jacket and navy blue pants..ick. First time I saw an NWA pilot walking down the hall wearing that thing I thought it was a lost sketchy ad hoc freight pilot trying to make his way home.

Latest resources

Back