• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA?DAL deal rumored within 2 weeks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yep it is coming. Maybe not in two weeks, but soon. Wonder how long I will be furloughed for.

You are right. All the signs are there. This has probably been in the works for at least 2 years now. My prediction was a NWA/Delta merger in Fall '08 but it looks like it could be earlier. Interesting times to say the least.

there are some differences between DL and NW, but they are very small compared to AWA and AAA. Frankly the only airline out there that was way, way out of wack was AAA. A merger with any airline but them is a lot easier.

You got that right, AAA was out of whack with anyone. There is no other airline with the majority of its pilots hired in such a concentrated period way back in the eighties.

We at AWA were lucky enough to get that, as long as you fellas elswhere stay away from LCC your deal should be a cakewalk in comparison.

Last edited:
You are right. All the signs are there. This has probably been in the works for at least 2 years now. My prediction was a NWA/Delta merger in Fall '08 but it looks like it could be earlier. Interesting times to say the least.

I have predicted this merger for some time. I also move the announcement date ealier than I originally anticipated which was end of 2008. It will take well into 2009 or longer to work out the details. I just hope its not a melt down like Airways/AWA.

I have predicted this merger for some time. I also move the announcement date ealier than I originally anticipated which was end of 2008. It will take well into 2009 or longer to work out the details. I just hope its not a melt down like Airways/AWA.

I'll agree with you on that one. I'd venture to say that with the very little overlap a DAL/NWA would have, ATL would make MEM dissapear, and DTW would make CVG dissapear. All the other hubs, MSP/SLC too far apart, ANC/LAX.
I think that the new airline would make a nice fit.
I read an article in one of those money mags that said a combined UAL/DAL would generate $800 million dollars a year in (I hate this word thanks to Parker) "synergies), while a DAL/NWA combo would produce over $2.1 billion in synergies.
Of course a UAL/DAL deal would cover much more of the globe, but there would be more routes/hubs/aircraft to be divested.
Just my .02

Translation

I read an article in one of those money mags that said a combined UAL/DAL would generate $800 million dollars a year in (I hate this word thanks to Parker) "synergies), while a DAL/NWA combo would produce over $2.1 billion in synergies.

For the benefit of those who have not experienced a merger, "synergies" is management-speak for "doing more work with less people". :(

Heyas,

Rumor is that the deal will be announced Monday, along with a pre-arranged deal between the NWA and DAL MECs for seniority integration.

Word is that for those hired before 2002, it will be a ratio integration, and those after will be DOH. No fences, no bump, no flush.

Nu

Latest resources

Back