• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

NWA?DAL deal rumored within 2 weeks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I should have clarified...it's not a Delta thing it is an industry thing. Screw the employees, screw the lessors, screw the business partners. Then they throw party slap on some new paint and talk about their success story. It's bullsh1t and we all know it.

The process is rotten to the core and allows these companies to compete based on ineffective and unprofitable business models.

It bugs me when I hear a supposedly intelligent professional like the General bragging about the "competitive" nature of a new lease rate. The way it got competitive was absurd and should be viewed as such. Employees got hammered as bad as the leasing companies. Let's keep that in mind.

If an individual tried it you would label him a freeloading bum. In the airlines it is a business plan. Bankruptcy should not be an accepted business practice. It hurts everyone.

Maybe you should move to Russia and fly for Aeroflot. In AMERICA, we allow people and companies to have a second, maybe even a third chance. In the country of Algeria, maybe that isn't the case and you are shot or stoned in a public square. Maybe you should move over there. The big difference is that our BK laws are flexible, and an actual judge presides over the BK. If he/she doesn't see the viability, then he/she will shut it down. A judge is in charge, and that is the way it goes. With respect to the MD88s, it is called supply and demand. We are really the only major operator in the US that uses MD88s (Allegiant will get 4 shortly, and Midwest has a few also). The lessors have a choice, they can deal with us, or go for the others. We actually returned some of our MD88s when the lessors would not bargain, and a few months later they returned to us and made the deal. That is how it works. Do you think an MD88 is worth $280,000 a month? Who made that deal? Why weren't you crying like you are now when that fat cat made that outrageous deal with Delta ten years ago? I guess we could afford it back then, so it really is alright to charge those rates then, but when the economy and 9-11 cause everything to go down the toilet it is NOT alright to look for a rate cut? Please respond to this, and ask your professor too.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Judas Priest, stop posting to your other screen names. If you feel as though you need multiple screen names to make your life worth living, that's great. Kindly don't insult our intelligence by responding to yourself.

Wow, you got me again. I was also on the grassy knoll back in Dallas years back...... Why don't you come up with something constructive about the industry instead of feeding your dumb conspiracy theories. You are sorta funny, not.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Wow, you got me again. I was also on the grassy knoll back in Dallas years back...... Why don't you come up with something constructive about the industry instead of feeding your dumb conspiracy theories. You are sorta funny, not.

Bye Bye--General Lee

i have yet to see you deny that you are also 737pylt, Jmoney, scope_out_rjs, and others.

i have yet to see you deny that you are also 737pylt, Jmoney, scope_out_rjs, and others.

I absolutely deny that I am any of those. I have shown a couple times that 737pylut and Jmoney and I have been on the same thread at the same time (you can see at the bottom of the page), and I have printed it and posted it. I have almost 10,000 posts because I actually respond to everyone who debates with me, about any subject. I have no need to be anyone else, and I don't care if someone else doesn't agree with me, that is fine. We can agree to disagree, and I like the banter too.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Maybe you should move to Russia and fly for Aeroflot. In AMERICA, we allow people and companies to have a second, maybe even a third chance. In the country of Algeria, maybe that isn't the case and you are shot or stoned in a public square.

Bye Bye--General Lee

A little hyperbole there?

As for the judge presiding over the matter, when those sitting on the bench become apolitical and immune to undue influence of the voters or those who appoint them (in the case of the bankruptcy judges) then perhaps it will lend some credibility to the process.

Regardless, if you truly believe that bankruptcy as a matter of competitiveness is a viable business plan, than so be it. I disagree. If you think turnabout is fair play because your company paid too much for their airplanes, again so be it.

You have never been one to look objectively at any discussion involving Delta Air Lines, no matter how ancillary the connection to the topic.

Go ahead and wave your pom-poms for the righteous way the airline managers chose to run their businesses. Don't forget to cheer for the way they screw us by the same logic every time the industry tanks.

A little hyperbole there?

As for the judge presiding over the matter, when those sitting on the bench become apolitical and immune to undue influence of the voters or those who appoint them (in the case of the bankruptcy judges) then perhaps it will lend some credibility to the process.

Regardless, if you truly believe that bankruptcy as a matter of competitiveness is a viable business plan, than so be it. I disagree. If you think turnabout is fair play because your company paid too much for their airplanes, again so be it.

You have never been one to look objectively at any discussion involving Delta Air Lines, no matter how ancillary the connection to the topic.

Go ahead and wave your pom-poms for the righteous way the airline managers chose to run their businesses. Don't forget to cheer for the way they screw us by the same logic every time the industry tanks.

So be it......Anyway, I am glad you disagree with what many many Americans do every day. It is time to shoot them too....

I don't look objectively at what Delta does? You don't bring any proof to your arguments. It is great that you disapprove of airlines using the court for BK protection, yet you forget to add than many other businesses have done the same and come out winners, benefitting many. If you would like to debate the issues at Delta and actually have a side to the debate, then do it. Remember that a lot has changed since our BK---we got rid of bad management (Leo and company), we got rid of planes (md11s, 732s, 733s) and we actually got a better plan to try to make money (putting right sized airplanes on routes--757s off Song routes, put them transcon, then put 767s on INTL etc). We have done a lot to try to turn it around, and high oil that will affect everyone is not the fault of our current management. BK was a process that hurt a lot of people, and some airlines did the procedure correctly (DAL and NWA changed fundamentally in BK), and some did not (UAL). That will play out in the current marketplace.

So, please respond with some facts and actually debate. You can continue to say "so be it" all you want, but it proves you have no facts or anything close. Just give it a try. The BK process is there for anyone to use--as long as you change for the better. We have. Will high gas prices hurt us? Maybe. Will it hurt everyone? You bet.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I'm not sure if allowing corporations to go into BK is a good thing or not. IMHO, a business that cannot be run profitably should go the way of the dinosaur. Maybe a second chance is what they needed, only time will tell.

I can tell you that the management should not be getting huge bonuses for steering the company through the BK process. They should not have steered the company into the BK in the first place. It's like landing with the gear up and getting a bonus cause you managed to get the plane to gate A-1. Makes no sense.

Last edited:
So be it......Anyway, I am glad you disagree with what many many Americans do every day. It is time to shoot them too...

Bye Bye--General Lee

Your diatribe aside, I never said to shoot anyone. Just because many Americans do it does not make it right. Many Americans are also morbidly obese. That does not make it the best way to live your life or manage your personal health.

After all this blustering you have failed to grasp a very simple concept. Bankruptcy may be a necessary evil in extraordinary circumstances. Which it was for Delta. Using it as a business plan is greedy, unfair, and a dishonest way to run a business. I fyou can not compete on a level playing field, get out of the way for someone else to give it a shot.

My original contention that bragging about how little you pay for your BK renegotiated lease rates is somewhat distasteful for someone who believes that individual and corporations should pay their bills fair and square.

I cringe to think what your opinion is on people who purchased homes they new they could not afford the day the bought them, let alone the day their ARMs adjusted up. Ignorance is no defense, if you don't understand what you are doing buying a home, rent. Now the bailout is coming and you and I and everyone who actually could afford and pays their mortgage gets left holding the bag and struggling through a recession.

It's real simple if you could get past the self-serving Delta cheerleading and look at the argument objectively.

U.S. Bankruptcy laws are bullsh1t. There have been some changes of late but to say they are not abused by corporations, including airlines, is silly.

Hey General
I think you have your hands full with Mr. Mahone here. Maybe you could pick on his typo or accuse him of shooting puppies on his layovers in Moscow. That will teach him to have an opinion about the screwed up bankruptcy laws that corporations are exploiting,
including your beloved "Air Bubba".
It's my opinion that one of you is using your avatar as camoflage and the other's avatar is more a self portrait. I will let the viewing public decide which one is which.

Latest resources

Back