nwa class

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
and the FI forum cares because....?

you are not the first person to not get his first choice, my man. there are probably hundreds of fools who would love to be in your position. stop crying.

Wow - who pi$$ed in your cornflakes? Lay off the caffeine jacka$$. Let me guess, you taught Chuck Yeager how to fly...

If there are any pilots who were furloughed and came back to 2nd or 3rd year pay then I would like to know what your overall schedules and paychecks look like. I'm on the fence as to go to Northwest and would like any info. I'm in my mid forties and currently making a low 6 figure salary..

Per Diem in training

I have heard conflicting reports on this, perhaps someone can clarify it for me:

Is Per Diem paid in training at NWA? The typical answer is, Yes? Unless you are based in MSP. Here is my confusion, can you be considered MSP based if you are a new hire off the street? I am at Eagle and everyone got 24 per diem from day one through completion of IOE, no matter which base/equipment awarded in the beginning.

The financial benefit would be terrific if per diem were paid like this.

It works out to about $880/month in per diem (non-taxable). Your base is whatever you are assigned by crew planning. So far I don't think anyone has been assigned to MSP, so everyone has been eligible for per diem/hotel/positive space home on weekends. Also, if you live within 2 hours of the msp you are not eligible either.

All newhires are assigned DTW, MEM, or ANC right away (this could change) so everyone is getting per diem. They positive space you home on weekends, so you are only accumulating per diem 5 days a week. $1.85/hr times 5 days a week is something near $222 a week, or $888 a month.

Airbus

I realize that this question has been asked before, but things change quickly, so I thought I'd ask again..
When one is hired, is there ANYONE being assigned the Airbus? Also, if one gets the Dc-9 how long does it usually take to bid into the Bus?
I am OLD (43) am I correct that class seniority is based on age? Sorry for all the quesitons.
I know, several people are going to chime in, saying that with the merger my question is mute as I'll be assigned a 175....
Cheers

Heyas,

Just to answer some quick questions:

Seniority in class is done by age.

No newhires in the 'bus quite yet

You can bid off right away, but you will STILL be trained for your original position, and will probably be required to fly that position until your next A/C class (bids are 4 months in advance).

If you want the 'bus, you can probably hold it in a month or two if reserve and DTW/MEM is OK, maybe a month longer for MSP.

A fair number of ANC 747 SO slots are opening up due to age 60+ SOs bidding back and the opening of the MSP 747 base, and MOST new hires (2/3s) are bidding out right away, soooo, plan accordingly (IE watch reruns of "Northern Exposure") .

Nu

PS Nah, you're gonna get the 777 in ATL, in front of the General ;)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back