NW scabs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HoursHore said:
Maybe keeping a hold of the reins, but engaging and demonstrating the influence of the employee group over Day to Day operations would be more effective. Whether it be a day of Normal ops, than a day of Fly the Contract type thing, or refusing to fly extra, pick up overtime, live with that gripe one more leg type thing, etc.

HoursHore, come on! Flying your contract will show Steenland alright. If I'm not mistaken he already showed you what he thinks of your contract with the Champion flight. What are they giving you guys in the Diet Cokes over there! Why is that everyone else on this board realizes that you guys are the real targets in the end except for you guys?

Sorry just realized that you are Fedex, but I think the NW guys need to get a little more motivated than flying their contract. The sad thing is that it is obvious why the NW guys are trying so hard to appease management.

Last edited:
Redmeat said:
HoursHore, come on! Flying your contract will show Steenland alright. If I'm not mistaken he already showed you what he thinks of your contract with the Champion flight. What are they giving you guys in the Diet Cokes over there! Why is that everyone else on this board realizes that you guys are the real targets in the end except for you guys?

I Don't fly for NWA.

By flying the contract I mean Groups Fly the Contract and no more. again I was just Brainstorming. I just happen to fly NWA alot and have seen what little impact this strike has had on Ops.

pw4000 said:
Some people are consumed what a cleaner's makes then be a cleaner. quit crying about it. Sure is a lot of cry babies here

I am not in the aviation business and I am certainly not crying. I am trying to understand where the NW people rank with other airlines. One thing I have learned with the aviation business is that you can't take anything at face value. Example: There's a thread in another forum where pilots were complaining that they were only making $90K a year. One point they made was comparing their salary and responsibilities with other high profile professions such as doctors. I was understanding until I found that they only work 75 hours a month. To me that sounds like part time work when compared to doctors.

Looking at the pay scale for SWA MX, they make less than what the NW people were having theirs reduced to. Given the financial situation at NW, how can the NW people expect to make a wage at or above a level that people at SWA? An airline that is profitable.

KigAir said:
Looking at the pay scale for SWA MX, they make less than what the NW people were having theirs reduced to. Given the financial situation at NW, how can the NW people expect to make a wage at or above a level that people at SWA? An airline that is profitable.

NW AMFA has been reduced from nearly 10,000 mechs to just 4600 since 9/11. Managements proposal called for another 53% reduction in force and the remaining 2600 or so taking a 26% pay cut. I believe AMFA basically thought that they had given their share and then some, and that giving into these demands would be a lost cause for their group.

Redmeat said:
NW AMFA has been reduced from nearly 10,000 mechs to just 4600 since 9/11. Managements proposal called for another 53% reduction in force and the remaining 2600 or so taking a 26% pay cut. I believe AMFA basically thought that they had given their share and then some, and that giving into these demands would be a lost cause for their group.

So instead of taking a 53% reduction they will settle for a 100% reduction. Where's the logic? The rank and file don't understand that the cash cow days are over. Pay and job reductions are a way of life in Corporate America. I work for a large company, non-union, we are going through cost reductions. These include pay cuts and staff reductions. Do I advocate that every employee walk off the job so the company will go out of business? That's ridiculous.

KigAir said:
So instead of taking a 53% reduction they will settle for a 100% reduction. Where's the logic? The rank and file don't understand that the cash cow days are over. Pay and job reductions are a way of life in Corporate America. I work for a large company, non-union, we are going through cost reductions. These include pay cuts and staff reductions. Do I advocate that every employee walk off the job so the company will go out of business? That's ridiculous.

I think to AMFA going from 10,000 to 2600 in 4 years was a 100% reduction. Or would be shortly thereafter.

Redmeat said:
I think to AMFA going from 10,000 to 2600 in 4 years was a 100% reduction. Or would be shortly thereafter.

Shortly being the keyword. It can be a crappy world and a person has to be able to look after their own interests at all costs. IMO, having a union membership is too high a cost. Maybe they should talk to the ATC people that Reagan fired.

KigAir said:
Shortly being the keyword. It can be a crappy world and a person has to be able to look after their own interests at all costs. IMO, having a union membership is too high a cost. Maybe they should talk to the ATC people that Reagan fired.

PATCO guys. Yes they too got screwed much the same way AMFA is getting screwed now. They too were replaced with scabs.

KigAir said:
I am not in the aviation business .........................................

Not in Aviation? Try another board that you may have some insight on. SWA MX is paid better than NWA and the rest of the industry, even BEFORE the strike. Get some facts straight before you post here.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back