NW scabs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Diesel-9 said:
This is an example of a great bunch of workers with lousy representation.

Amen to that!

FlyingFisherman said:
Though it's not a major I did have an interview with Mesaba in Minneapolis this past week. The CP doing the interviewing (and this was verified by several others there including average-joe line pilots) went over the situation with us. As he said it, the cleaners are the only ones being lopped off. NWA wants to outsource the job cheaper than they can do it in house. That represents the 50-some percent of the union as the cleaners/wrench turners are in the same union. As I understood it, they don't want to fire any wrench turners, but do want them to take roughly a 1/4 pay cut.

Mesaba mechanics aren't walking, never intended to. F/A's and Pilots never intended to as I understand either.

That's all I know and it isn't much...but hopefully it will help.

Hi FF,

I don't think the info you were given was completely accurate. The mechanics and cleaners used to be in the same union (IAM) but a few years ago the mechanics split off (AMFA).

The reason NWA wants to lay off such a large number off mechanics is because they want to outsource all of the heavy maintenance and just have company mechanics for line maintenance (like Southwest and some other carriers do.)

Crappy situation all around.

Cleaners and Mechanics are both AMFA, NWA wants to outsource Aircraft cleaning, cleaners make up 700 of the proposed lay offs

Tref said:
they want to outsource all of the heavy maintenance and just have company mechanics for line maintenance (like Southwest and some other carriers do.)

One glaring discrepancy is that we don't outsource out of the USA. NWA is sending MX out to Thailand. We also do much more in house work than NWA will admit in the press, usually takes an AMFA Rep to point it out. The biggest difference between Southwest, and many other carriers, and Northwest, is that our Mechanics don't do our pushbacks (except in DAL). With 3000+ flights a day, that is a lot less mechanics.

Not wanting to get into the political republican versus democrat thing but is it not the business guys buying those expensive seats on the red tails and the last time I read anything of any value, is it not the republicans that are supposed to be capitalists, i.e., representing business interests. Seems like the last few times I have looked at ticket prices folks like me were paying much less than those bad for the country, business (replublican) guys. And by the way, I have had very good travel experiences on NW and hope they get this sorted out quickly. It's bad for the industry and bad for the country !!!

Tref said:
Hi FF,

I don't think the info you were given was completely accurate. The mechanics and cleaners used to be in the same union (IAM) but a few years ago the mechanics split off (AMFA).

The reason NWA wants to lay off such a large number off mechanics is because they want to outsource all of the heavy maintenance and just have company mechanics for line maintenance (like Southwest and some other carriers do.)

Crappy situation all around.

Thanks! I completely agree...horrible situation. I appreciate the info...I'm not trying to hide I don't know much on the subject just wanted to contribute what little I'd heard from what I was hoping to be a good source. Good luck to all.

canyonblue said:
One glaring discrepancy is that we don't outsource out of the USA. NWA is sending MX out to Thailand.

Thailand? First I heard MX was going to the Dominican Republic, then I heard Mexico now Thailand. I have a question about the logistics of this. Are they importing the workers into the US or are they sending the planes there? Seems like a long way to fly a plane for MX.

I just found out from a -10 driver that they are sending some of the 10's to Singapore for the heavy checks... He said they had just repositioned the aircraft from there...

NWA is impossible to nonrev on. So, when I had to buy a ticket yesterday I voted with my feet by going over to the other terminal. Sun Country won my $. I know I'm not the only one.

Does anyone know if the scabs are currently on Per Diem and staying in Hotels?

Latest resources

Back